Slightly smoking from breather

Expurple

Established Member
Car has white smoke coming out of the breather.it's not much more like a haze and doesn't increase much when I increase the throttle.

Car is working fine and pulls hard.

Should I be worried?

itSSlow98

Established Member
My car was only smoking from the drivers side breather. About 500 miles later the ringlands were gone. Not trying to scare you but do a compression and leak down test and if its good I'd run a seperator

Expurple

Established Member
My car was only smoking from the drivers side breather. About 500 miles later the ringlands were gone. Not trying to scare you but do a compression and leak down test and if its good I'd run a seperator

How heavy was the smoking? Mine is just slightly.

crazycarlo

Established Member
If its just a lite smoke id almost bet its normal. There are tons of people running breathers and every type of performance car old and new and most if not all seem to smoke a little. Thing about it. Have you ever spilled a little oil on you valve cover and it down the block and smokes a little or hits the exhaust? Now what do you think happens to a little oil in the top of the as all that metal is heating up while the motor is running?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If nothing came out of the valve covers then there would be no need for the PCV system. The PCV system catches these blow by gases and runs them back through the engine to be burnt.

You've taken a sealed system and opened it to the atmosphere, the blowby gases that were always there before are now visible.

I run a catch can system on my race car and noticed the same thing, a slight vapor coming out of the breather on the catch can.

Expurple

Established Member
Like I said it's just a slight haze of smoke. It doesn't bother me smell wise. I'm guessing it's just oil vapors then.

I do remember my old engine breaking pistons and smoke would come out like an exhaust from the breathers and dipstick tube. This is nothing like it.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread