Slot style MAF, going Blow Through

SilverSteed

Established Member
Got an 01 2V with a Vortech and am considering going blow through. Do I need a BA5000?

Can I just use an original ford sensor?

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I use the ba5000 havnt had any issues yet and range is far better than a regular meter like a ba2800 or 3000. In the same respect you don't need to go slot style for blow-thru since all sct meters can be calibrated for blow thru

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
You want to properly size your MAF to your power goals.

A correctly sized MAF would use 80-85% of it's range.

Housing size will play a role in MAF range.

So the question is how much power do you plan to make and what size housing are you putting it in? Too much range can be a problem too.

SilverSteed

Established Member
It'll be in the 400whp range. I know a larger tube will give me more range at the expense of resolution, yes? My tuner advises against using a draw through meter in a blow through configuration.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
It'll be in the 400whp range. I know a larger tube will give me more range at the expense of resolution, yes? My tuner advises against using a draw through meter in a blow through configuration.

The slot style MAF's work gret in blow through apps. People say they have cleaner signals, another advantage is they can be mounted anywhere. Just weld in a flange.

My understanding is that a BA5000 IS a GT500 sensor. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I realize I was unclear which sensor I wanted to use

The BA5000 is not a GT500 sensor, but it IS a slot style sensor like the GT500 OEM sensor. The BA5000 has greater range and is a "larger" MAF.

To my understanding ALL Ford OEM slot MAF's are the same.

Last edited:

Chais92

Established Member
I also recently did this swap. I went with a vmp tuning hpx slot style with their 3 inch tube and pigtail for a 99-04. Easiest swap ever. Will be at the tuners this Saturday! Ill post up the results!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The slot style MAF's work gret in blow through apps. People say they have cleaner signals, another advantage is they can be mounted anywhere. Just weld in a flange.

The BA5000 is not a GT500 sensor, but it IS a slot style sensor like the GT500 OEM sensor. The BA5000 has greater range and is a "larger" MAF.

To my understanding ALL Ford OEM slot MAF's are the same.
SCT uses virgin Ford slotted MAF's, modifies em then puts a white sticker on top!

SilverSteed

Established Member
SCT uses virgin Ford slotted MAF's, modifies em then puts a white sticker on top!

I figured it was something like that. Kind of like how there are only a handful of pressure plate manufacturers in the world. The others paint 'em and slap their sticker on.

Wonder if the sensors are made by Hitachi? Sct charges an extra 120 bucks for whatever they do to extend the range.

SilverSteed

Established Member
You'll be fine with a 05+GT stock slotted meter to support 400RW, for sure on 3.5" piping.

I take it this is from personal experience? I know a larger tube always extends the range but at the expense of resolution (possible idle issues). As well I went with 2.75 inch tubing so not crazy for that 3.5 inch tube sitting there.

I think I may just go with the BA5000. Any experiences with this as compared to the HPX sensor? Anybody selling? LOL

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The 2 best aftermarket slotted meters are SCT and Pro-M, I'd choose between those two.
my 5000 is on 3.5" piping!
svtcobra410.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread