Slowing down to a stop... then stalls????

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
Ok. I'm noticing this occurence after some recent work done to the car. I don't recall this happening when the Eaton was on there. As I come to a stop > gradually slowing down (I down shift too), when the car finally comes to the stop... the RPMs drop below 400-500. Also, while stopped, the RPMs flutter somewhat (again, didn't notice this before the recent work) and the car trembles abit like it wants to stall out.

Well, while coming back from a quick drive today, it finally happened... it stalled while coming up to my driveway. I know I grabbed the clutch before I reached the entry point to my driveway and it just died. It started up right away, but WTF???

Is this just a case of needing new plugs? I got a set of TR7ix... am I on the right track? What should I gap these to - .032 or .035. Here's some details to the car:

Whipple w/3.50 - stock tb version
BAP set at 30
FIPK - no MAFia
stock injectors on there now
TR6 gapped to .032 right now

I think these are the relevant items when addressing the aforementioned.

I'd really appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide... I'm hoping it's something simple.

Thanks!

:beer:

blckcobra

Established Member
This is my first post, and my car was doing that too. Some Cobra guys told me at a meet, they were 100% b/c his car did the same thing, that it was a fuel rail sensor... its like in front on the fuel rail on the right, its black... its like a little plug in thing... they said you gotta get a new one of thoughs... b/c it goes out sometiems i fyou hit rev limiter... its like 57dollars from ford... :rockon:

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
blckcobra said:
This is my first post, and my car was doing that too. Some Cobra guys told me at a meet, they were 100% b/c his car did the same thing, that it was a fuel rail sensor... its like in front on the fuel rail on the right, its black... its like a little plug in thing... they said you gotta get a new one of thoughs... b/c it goes out sometiems i fyou hit rev limiter... its like 57dollars from ford... :rockon:
First things first: WELCOME! I, for one, am sincerely glad for your 1st post:beer: So it's the FRPS huh? Will look into it. Thanks and welcome to the boards:thumbsup:

03SBGT

Established Member
I hear the poster on the FRPS, I bounced off the rev limiter a time or two when I upgraded from my GT and first got the Cobra. But, I didnt pop it.

My first thought is that it would be in the tune. Did you say you had some recent work, and that is the Whipple?

I would get in touch with your tuner and ask him about it first.

Almo

Established Member
Christian... should be the TB you might have. Which one you have installed?

When you go with a TB other than stock it's a hit or miss with the 03/04s.

Cheers,
Allen

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm. I don't think it would be the TB. The only TB issues I have heard about are high idle speeds and slicking plates. I think his issue is rated to the FRPS.

blckcobra

Established Member
03SBGT said:
I hear the poster on the FRPS, I bounced off the rev limiter a time or two when I upgraded from my GT and first got the Cobra. But, I didnt pop it.

My first thought is that it would be in the tune. Did you say you had some recent work, and that is the Whipple?

I would get in touch with your tuner and ask him about it first.

Yes this is true, on my old cobra setup i could bounce off rev limiter all day... obviously i didnt do that, but when you install the BAP and its pushing so much more fuel, it blows it... so ive been told... :shrug:

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
Almo said:
Christian... should be the TB you might have. Which one you have installed?

When you go with a TB other than stock it's a hit or miss with the 03/04s.

Cheers,
Allen
Thanks Allen. Yeah, that's one of the reasons that I went stock tb; that and the cost of the aftermarket variety was an obstacle that I didn't want to hurdle.

I ran the search for FRPS and found some interesting info that I'll validate today. One is the position of the MAF. I might have re-installed the thing @ 12 o'clock instead of 10 and maybe that's causing it to stall out. Does this hold water? Also, I definitely will check out the FRPS to see if I can smell gas - isn't that the way to see if it blew? Please correct me on these points if I'm wrong.

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
.... follow-up.... I swapped out the plugs and adjusted the maf to 10 o'clock - more like 10:40 LOL. I put the TR7ix in gapped at .032 a torqued to 11ft/lbs (15nm). Checked all the hoses/vac lines, wires, etc. and all looked ok. Verified that the FRPS was dry and no ill smells of gas. Had the battery disconnected while doing all this.

Got everything back in order and fired it up. Let it warm to temp and took it for a test ride. All seem good. No slow-down stalls or dramatic dips in the RPM. Idle is still a little up and down - plays around 700-800 or so.

Don't know if the, now, absence of the "stall" is from the battery disconnect/reconnect or if the plugs and maf adjust fixed it.

Next order of business is to drive it to some distance and see if the issue pops up again.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
stalling as it slows down/comes to a stop is very symptomatic of a dirty MAF

spray the sensor wire with electronics cleaner and let it air-dry

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
vehicle maintenance 101.....I've been cleaning mine for over 20 years

all MAF sensors can get dirty but oil-soaked filters like we use exacerbate the problem

Users who are viewing this thread