Smell at WOT

Hendo741

Established Member
I notice a strange smell when I get on the throttle hard. I'm thinking its the belt. Is this even possible or common? I've only owned the GT 500 for 2 months and am still feeling her out. Thanks for the help!

breoland

Established Member
Some guys crap their pants at wide open throttle, you sure it's not that?

breoland

Established Member
All kidding aside, you are going to have to give a lil more info on what year car you have
Any mods done?
Did you buy used or new, from a dealer or private, are the mods done by previous owner or by you and did smell happen after mods or it always happen

Hendo741

Established Member
Some guys crap their pants at wide open throttle, you sure it's not that?

Haha. This isn't common??

Back on topic. Its a 2012 bone stock that I bought from a dealer with 6800 miles 2 months ago. It has not been modified by me or the previous owner to my knowledge. I've noticed the smell a few times after getting into the boost. Don't really know what else it could be...

Hendo741

Established Member
I thought this might be common. This is my first experience with supercharged cars. It was always turbos before this (03 EVO/13 WRX).

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
What does it smell like? Could be your clutch. Be careful if it is slipping under WOT :eek:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Every time I run WOT in my 2012, first up into 4th gear, I get a smell like burnt clutch.

It did this even before the TVS upgrade, and I always have the traction control turned off.

I have put almost 20,000 miles on my Shelby with the stock clutch and no problems (knock on wood), and it still does it. :shrug:

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Does your speedo "rev up" in proportion to your speedo? Are you resting your foot lightly on the clutch between shifts? Maybe you are launching with too high of an RPM.

Launching on stock tires, 1800-2000 RPM max, with quick clutch dump, traction control off. Don't rev to 4k, and try slipping the clutch, you will get a clutch smell, even with the traction control off.

If you are revving high on launch, with the traction control on, you will be frying the clutch because of the computer pulsing the rear brakes, providing more resistance on the clutch disc as you try slipping it. Not good.

SirShaun

Established Member
It's most likely just new car smell. I picked up my 2010 GT500 with 4000 miles and I would get on it at least once every time I took it out. I got the same strange smell for a few thousand miles. Odometer shows 9000 miles now and the smell doesn't occur anymore.

It's a break in smell.

Eds01Lightning

Established Member
It's just oil in the intake you are smelling at wot..perfectly normal. My 2010 does it as did my 2001 Lightning truck. An oil separator/catch can will help. But, my L had that "smell" even with a sep when hard in the boost.

dr.atsal

Established Member
I have had the same issue since I have had my 2011 (3 years now). It only happens at WOT...did it with stock and vmp blower. Like Eds01Lighting said..its probably oil in the intake. Catch can does not really help as driver side hardly catches any (I think the vacuum and flow is just to strong forcing oil mist to get by it). Its not really an issue unless the smell itself bothers you.

-Doc

Hendo741

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys.

off topic but how do you like the switch to american muscle cars?

It's def different. The GT500 is a very capable car, even on the twisties (I'm from WV), but requires a much more skilled driver than an AWD turbo econo-rocket. Anyone can get in a WRX or EVO and feel like a pro. They require little effort to launch, handle well at speed, and inspire confidence. The GT500 out performs them at every level, even handling in my opinion, but is much easier to be over driven.

Chipofsc

Established Member
It's just oil in the intake you are smelling at wot..perfectly normal. My 2010 does it as did my 2001 Lightning truck. An oil separator/catch can will help. But, my L had that "smell" even with a sep when hard in the boost.

I have heard this before. My cobra does the same thing only problem I have with this is mine did not have a pvc valve system until I purchased it. How can oil get in my intake without one. Don't know just asking.

99SSls1

Established Member
I have heard this before. My cobra does the same thing only problem I have with this is mine did not have a pvc valve system until I purchased it. How can oil get in my intake without one. Don't know just asking.

Yours is probably pressure/oil vapor pushing out your breathers from not running a pcv valve. Just a guess I don't know your set up.

nxhappy

Established Member

^^he's right

Users who are viewing this thread