Smelling a little clutch?

BahnRunner

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago I go on a little cat and mouse run trailing my buddies procharged 5.0, in case you guys are wondering he couldn't get away from me. Anyway we stopped to get some fuel at the gas station and I smell clutch, I tell him dude you car smells like clutch big time. Today I got on it a little, not that much just a couple hard pulls from 60 to 100 and I pull in the driveway and I am smelling a slight scent of what seems to be clutch. So the other day I am wondering if it was my car putting off the odor and not his. Anyone else have this issue on their? Car is stock btw. I have been driving sticks all my life so I don't think it's something I am doing wrong. I am not John Force but I am definitley not a newb at it.

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
how many miles? probably just normal wear and tear from breaking it in.

BahnRunner

Established Member
Thanks, I saw one that had the same issue with the smell like mine but no failure. I'm just going to keep an eye on it. I really want to mod the car and tune it but for now I will just beef up the suspension first and see what I can do with it at the track.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It might just be your brakes, I know my brakes smell awful after I get done beating on the car

SteveWK

Established Member
I had either clutch or brake smells coming from my car too. I never did determine which it was, but it went away with time, i.e. around 4k miles or so if memory serves. If you are doing a lot of hard braking without a cool down period between stops, I recommend putting DOT 4 fluid in. I tracked my car several times with the stock pads and DOT 4 and didn't have any problems.

jason6488

Established Member
My garage will smell a little 'clutchy' when I pull in sometimes trying to get over the lip... I think it's probably normal.

03reptile

Established Member
This is normal. Don't worry about it. Mines (13 stock) got 11K on the clock and the smell has gone away. Clutch works fine. I think they're just seating in and no need to worry.

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
FWIW I also encountered the same smell on my 2013. Haven't had any issues with it and the smell now seems to be gone @ 4500 miles on it.

paluka21

Established Member
FWIW I also encountered the same smell on my 2013. Haven't had any issues with it and the smell now seems to be gone @ 4500 miles on it.

Not to bring this thead back from the dead, but I've noticed every time I take my car out, it smells the entire garage up with this *clutch* smell. I have not taken the car over 3500rpm and only 1/2 throttle breaking it in slowly with 220 miles on the ODO. I'm very curious if anything will surface once I start getting into the car hard and doing WOT pulls...I guess this is something to keep an eye on.

Derek5774

Established Member
I have heard of people smoking their clutch loading car on trailer
And car was about 700whp

And no issues

I say if it's not slipping, don't worry about it
But if you like to be prepared like I do,
Buy a stronger clutch and keep it on standby, then change when needed

ArabianOak

Established Member
Yep. Just hit 2000 miles and mines done it a few times. A few times going over the lip of driveway as well.

I'm at 711rwhp and no slippage.

paluka21

Established Member
I have heard of people smoking their clutch loading car on trailer
And car was about 700whp

And no issues

I say if it's not slipping, don't worry about it
But if you like to be prepared like I do,
Buy a stronger clutch and keep it on standby, then change when needed

In all honesty, with the price that we pay for these cars, I would expect a stock clutch to be able to hold up to the power level these cars are making, without a hiccup. Given that the catch point can be a little tricky, the clutch still does not feel nowhere near as grabby as my old Spec Stage III in the 95 cobra. Regardless, I would think that slipping/riding the clutch a little when pulling in a driveway, backing up, or pulling onto a trailer wouldn't cause any real longevity issues or damage to the clutch assembly. I'm not expert, and I will admit that, but to me it just seems like something is amiss if this is what is happening.

I would love to be able to put a clutch in the car, which I wouldn't have to worry about, but unfortunately I have a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty on the car.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Not to bring this thead back from the dead, but I've noticed every time I take my car out, it smells the entire garage up with this *clutch* smell. I have not taken the car over 3500rpm and only 1/2 throttle breaking it in slowly with 220 miles on the ODO. I'm very curious if anything will surface once I start getting into the car hard and doing WOT pulls...I guess this is something to keep an eye on.

With only 220 miles and your driving it easy you may be smelling surface impurities burning off the exhaust.

If you haven't gone over 3500 rpm you definitely aren't abusing it running it hard unless you are slipping it to death.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread