Smoke at start up video

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
Looks white at first then blue? Car has been tuned properly and runs fine otherwise. This was after sitting overnight. Happens at every startup, but a lot less the shorter it sits. Any suggestions? Thanks, John

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW_k7SSZkg4"]YouTube- VID00016.AVI[/nomedia]

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
this needs to be a sticky! same question always. Get a leakdown down test takes a couple hours and find out which valve seal is bad. Common problem for these cars high revving and heat expands and oil drips down startup and smoke. You need to video while your shifting and see the smoke between shifts:beer:

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
What would that mean if it smokes between shifts? What if it doesn't? I will do that later today. Thanks. I was thinking a sticky also, with different videos of the smoke. There are so many threads about this but not many vids.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
What would that mean if it smokes between shifts? What if it doesn't? I will do that later today. Thanks. I was thinking a sticky also, with different videos of the smoke. There are so many threads about this but not many vids.

because as your engine is warm the seals expand and oil will suck down between the shifts and you will see it more. I had same problem and was called mosquito patrol lol:burnout:

99NCLightning

Established Member
Mine was doing the same thing few weeks back, bought the pcv pre filter from JLT hasn't happened ever since install. I am not saying it will solve your problem but it did mine.

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
Update. I put the Steeda oil catch can on the drivers side and a breather on the passenger side The smoke is totally gone! I had some oil in the intake tube, cleaned it out and thats it! Just to help any of you guys with smoke at start up issues, because I did not think it was going to work. But it did!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Update. I put the Steeda oil catch can on the drivers side and a breather on the passenger side The smoke is totally gone! I had some oil in the intake tube, cleaned it out and thats it! Just to help any of you guys with smoke at start up issues, because I did not think it was going to work. But it did!

Hopefully it doesn't come back!:thumbsup:

uofipilot

Established Member
Well, search function is my friend. I've had the car for a couple months now, and it's hit or miss. I don't get that much smoke (nowhere near what that vid is), but I was hoping it was just blow-by oil. Looks like its time for me to get a catch can as well. Weird thing is though, mine only does it on warm starts. If the car is hot (like after filling up with gas), no smoke. If the car is driven and then sits for 30-45 mins, a bit of blue smoke. If the car is started cold (sitting more than 2 hours), no smoke.

Hopefully this works.

Last edited:

postalbunny

Established Member
I saw the compression test and it looked good... did you do the leakdown?

I'm wondering if there is something not showing up on the compression that would on the leakdown, with the smoke going away almost the with PCV filter, thinking this has to be related to oil settling down there to get burned off during startup.

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
No leakdown test yet. I am still going to bring it in to get looked at. I saw a little smoke last night at start up and it burst my bubble a little. It is 10x better and I will post up a vid later.

dynobobstieg

The smoking at start up on the Cobra's can be attributed to oil accumulation in the aftercooler from windage pressure forced through your PCV system.
Many owners opt for an oil separator- I like the Valve cover breather system, some run both. The factory system works fine for 400 RWHP, but not 500+ RWHP.

Stiegemeier
636-949-2275
StiegeSplash

Users who are viewing this thread