Smoking cobra(= smoked piston)

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
Okay, so about two weeks ago I went to a cars and coffee about 50 miles away. Raced a GTO on the way up there it dident end well for him. BUT everone was saying that I was blowing smoke like a diesel. So I got home found out I burned about a quart of oil on the trip. I did a compreshon test and the #6 cylender was at 60 psi.:fm: so i was going to take it to national speed in wilmington NC for turbo cams and a race gas tune anyway so i had them do a leak down test and sure as shit cracked piston and a scuffed cylinder wall. So my little trip to the performance shop went from 3800 to over 5K between parts labor and machine work. I'm not angry with the shop at all they do great work and are very fair I just needed to vent a little to the SVT community.

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
gonna go with some -9cc mainly pistons its gonna get bored 10 over it already has the mainly H beam rods its gonna bump compression to 9.5 to one and its getting a set of stage one MMR turbo cams.... ill post dyno sheets when i get it back

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
You need to find out what what caused the failure before it happens to your new motor.

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
Ithink a bad tune was the problem i got the car back in apr and it only made 460 on 16 psi had it re-tuned and it started smoking the shop that is doing the build said it looked like it had been hurt for a long time so im thinking the last owner hurt the motor then put it on a conservative tune and sold it

dboyd0887

Established Member
why not go to fastlane motorsports, they know mustangs inside and out? ive heard good and bad things about national speed and im asking because im about to take mine to have some work done at fastlane and was just wondering if you have had a bad experience

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
Fastlane did tune my old car and it worked out good thecar made great power but my new cobra I took it up there to get it retuned and they had it for the better part of 3 weeks and they could not figure out why it wouldn't tune carl told me to my face that he "has no idea what is wrong with my car" they told me to bring it back after mustang week and they would "figure it out" so I decided to get a 2nd opinion and took it to national speed and there was no problem im not sure what they did different but it made 624 and 595 on pump gas so I just choose to take my business to them from now on

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread