Smoothing out 1st to 2nd shifting

mx_9

Established Member
I ran in an autocross event this past weekend where we had instructors in the car with us. I was told that I need to smooth out my shifting into second gear. I figure that you folks would probably be able to best advise on smooth speed shifting. Unfortunately, the search function is down..

What I've been doing is this:

Top out first gear
Let off gas
Push in clutch
Push shift handle down to 2nd
Drop the clutch
Floor the gas pedal

I do this in probably .3-.4 seconds. I realize that you guys have traction issues in 2nd gear which I don't have but I'm hoping some of you racers can provide some insight as to what I'm doing wrong. I suspect that it's the clutch drop after I'm in gear but I don't know how to let it out without wasting precious time.

Thanks, Chris

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Don't drop the clutch, ride it a little, that's probably what he is referring to.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
.3 seconds:eek: You need to top the torque curve and shift, not necessarily the tach needle. I tend to barely lift off the gas on my 1-2 shift, and not at all on my 2-3 and 3-4. It happens so fast it just takes practice. The idea is to carry rpm's but not too much to smoke the tires on shifts. You need to quickly feather the clutch, not dump it-just make sure you dont burn it up either. I cant replicate how fast I drop the shifter with just my hand, it hurts. It has to be done with the leverage of the shifter to demonstrate to keep from pulling a muscle.:coolman: Of course this dosent apply to pulling out of the grocery store with a gallon of milk on the seat:) Usually its the 2-3 that will get cha. My 7 required throttle tip-in to stay in boost( a slight blip-riding the throttle to keep the revs up for the shift) When you nail a shift in full boost, you'll know how much faster that car can be, theres no jerk foward in the shift, just more pull.

Oh and when your crusing to a stop at a light, when do you depress the clutch?

Last edited:

mx_9

Established Member
Thanks Booyah. You're most likely right since he told me my shifting was making his head go forward and then backward.
I suspect that the key is to just keep practicing but for reference how long should the ride-out occur? Just a momentary pause with the clutch halfway released or lift my foot slower but linearly?

Thanks, Chris

03DOHC

Established Member
I'm surprised he gave you a problem without advice on how to solve it. I've never auto-xed so I'm no help with that. If you're on the dragstrip just don't lift your right foot and stab with your left. :-D

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Push in clutch and shift as fast as possible, then you need to EEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEE back into the gas. Not just jam the gas back to the floor.

Instructors I have always had in the past say " SMOOTH, SMOOTH, SMOOTH". The most important part of racing is not your hands, or your eyes, but your feet. Treat the gas like you have a potato chip between your foot and the gas.

Mind you, this is for ORC, but I would think Auto X would be the same.

Last edited:

mx_9

Established Member
SVT: Yeah, it's an issue for two reasons..unnecessary strain on the drive train and the suspension gets upset (a no-no for autocross).

03: The focus was really on line selection and proper speed choices for each obstacle. I did all well..he just mentioned that I was snapping his head back and forth with my shift to 2nd. I figured I did not want to waste course time correcting something that wasn't *directly* related to proper line selections, etc.

So, when you race you don't stab your clutch? You actually ease it out?

Snkbtn: I guess the key is not so much lost time with the ease but rather keeping the suspension loaded properly by not jerking it forward and backward? I've got to mentally weigh the pros and cons although I know what the answer is.

Thanks Folks..I figured you guys would be a good source of info. BTW, regardless of my shifting I was the fastest Novice and there was only one experienced auto-X'er that posted a faster lap than me! This was at a Novice school so the real test is the event I'm entered in on the 21st.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Exactly ..... good luck .... Remember that practice makes perfect ... Most of the time.

mx_9

Established Member
Kevin..I missed your post when I read this thread 10 minutes ago.

The STi's ECU does the blip for you when you release the gas and hit the clutch. Thanks for the info...it's the feathering I'm missing out on. I guess I do feather during NORMAL driving, it's when I'm trying to go fast that I don't.

When I stop for a light during normal driving I rev match and down shift repeatedly to 2nd. I'll coast that down to a slow speed and push the clutch in to hit neutral. I never down shift into 1st. I'll come to a complete stop then shift to first.

Users who are viewing this thread