So, Found a Redfire, Need advice.

SVTDice

Established Member
Hey everybody, Some of you may know I've been on the hunt for a Cobra for quite some time, I found one. This is going to be a lengthy post, Just thought to warn you all.

So the situation is, It has 115,XXX Miles on it for 13,555, But it runs EXTREMELY Strong for the mileage, Clutch and transmission is great as well. I was very surprised. The interior Is in fantastic shape, The seats are in great shape too, The guy put seat covers on it the day he bought it, So its had seat covers for 7+ Years, So the seats are in great shape too. Car is all stock, Even has the shroud and the stock air intake in it. So thats a plus. However the Traction control shuts off when you start it up, So thats got me a little puzzled :shrug: Guy mentioned something about possibly a lower pully, But he didn't seem to really know, Anyways the cons.

Quite a few rock chips, A small dent on the rear Spoiler, Needs new headlight housings, and has two cracks in the bumper, Went to the auto body place and to get that all fixed with parts, Installation, Paint, labor etc. Would come to around 1500 dollars or so. Its also going to need brakes, New tires and possibly bushings down the road, But thats just normal wear and tear.

I'm probably going to get a compression and leakdown check done on it, The dealer that its at said it would be 250 bucks for a compression and leak down test, I walked across the street and went to Ford and they said they'd do it for 100. Sigh. But anyways I gave them a offer for 10,500 Which I thought was reasonable considering what needs to be done and all. But other then that. So, Do the cons outweigh the pro's?

The Good-
-Great interior
-Lower price
-Stock
-Strong clutch, Transmission, Engine.
-Everything works,
-No window chips,

The Bad-
-Slightly bad price, (I want to chew them down)
-Previous very minor accident
-The front bumper needing replacement
-Rock chips, little scratches etc,
-Slightly bent left exhaust tip
-Needs new tires, brakes, soon.
-High mileage

So guys, The reason i'm even entertaining a car like this is because I NEED a daily driver, I don't want to buy a low mileage garage queen, And rack up the miles. I really love the car, Adore the color, Just the price seems...I don't know, Could be better I guess? Maybe i'm just being cheap. Or the dealer is trying to screw me, Either way. Let me know what you all think, Price wise, Or just in general. I kind of want to save it, I feel bad for the poor Cobra. I know that sounds weird but, Hey I don't mind a little project. :rockon:

Thanks for all of your input people, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Price seems fair, you should be able to get it to low low 13's. Ive been seeing 80-100k ones go for 15's here. Think $10,500 is a little low, if they come back with $12,500 take it and run. **** the paint/dings, if you're gonna be DD'ing it youre just gonna get more. You can get replacement headlights from ebay for $200, and throw on some Hawk HPS pads and new rotors and call that done.

These cars are nothing to be afraid of when they dont have their pampered garaged 20-30k. I had mine off and on from 55k to 78k and only issue was the Alternator.

Sounds like the perfect car if youre gonna be driving it daily and racking up miles.

Me, id love to get one 80-100k for cheap and build the ****er to hell and back. No sense in doing that sort of modifications to a garage queened 10k mi car.

SVTDice

Established Member
Price seems fair, you should be able to get it to low low 13's. Ive been seeing 80-100k ones go for 15's here. Think $10,500 is a little low, if they come back with $12,500 take it and run. **** the paint/dings, if you're gonna be DD'ing it youre just gonna get more. You can get replacement headlights from ebay for $200, and throw on some Hawk HPS pads and new rotors and call that done.

These cars are nothing to be afraid of when they dont have their pampered garaged 20-30k. I had mine off and on from 55k to 78k and only issue was the Alternator.

Sounds like the perfect car if youre gonna be driving it daily and racking up miles.

Me, id love to get one 80-100k for cheap and build the ****er to hell and back. No sense in doing that sort of modifications to a garage queened 10k mi car.

Thanks for the input man, Yeah, I see what your saying. I just got to consider a few things before I jump on it. I'll keep you updated and everything on how it goes, If i'm going to get it at all, I can't pick it up untill Friday, work and all.

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
my car turns the traction controll off when you start it because its been tuned for that just an fyi

skratpiece

Established Member
Traction Control shuts off when you start the car???? Just for clarification, if working properly when the engine is started the traction control light remains off until the button is pressed at which point a yellow light comes on and you have effectively turned traction contol off. Yellow light= Off. Maybe that helps. Just checking because I can imagine a dealership not realizing that the light being off means that traction control is on, and light being illuminated yellow means traction control off.

SVTDice

Established Member
Traction Control shuts off when you start the car???? Just for clarification, if working properly when the engine is started the traction control light remains off until the button is pressed at which point a yellow light comes on and you have effectively turned traction contol off. Yellow light= Off. Maybe that helps. Just checking because I can imagine a dealership not realizing that the light being off means that traction control is on, and light being illuminated yellow means traction control off.

Woah, I always thought if the LIGHT was off, The traction control was off, Thats what I always thought, I never heard of a light turning on to show something was off, But, If thats the case then nobody tuned the car, But yeah. Anyways I think I might bite the bullet, I'm still wondering if anybody is going to chip in some more advice or not, But yeah.

Thanks everybody! :beer:

cotchnobra

Established Member

That is deffintely how traction control works on all the mustangs of these years. Get that sucker and drive the hell out of it and have fun!!! :rockon:

04nccobra

Established Member
I just picked up a very similar car, mine had almost 100k on it. Overall great condition. Has road rash on the front bumper, a chip or two on the hood. Tires and brakes were good, and it runs great. Interior very clean. The only issues I have had have been minor, such as rear differential cover leak. My car could use shocks and struts. Picked up the car for under 13K. The nice thing about a car like this is you are not afraid to use it and drive it hard. I say go for it!!

SVTDice

Established Member
Nicee, Good to hear some positive responses, I'm going to give them a call them on Thursday. Thanks for the lil' Push you guys! Hopefully I'll be a new proud owner of a Redfire :D

Users who are viewing this thread