So has enough time passed to call evan smith's time b.s.

bluestreak89

Established Member
Hopefully by now the guys here know that I'm not a terminator troll and considering this is the only part of this site I visit 95% of the time, not to mention we know what the car is capable of with very minor mods I just want to see if anyone is ready to concede the 12.2 @ 118 by evan smith considering it's still way faster than any other in a stock and faster than many even with DR's. I said there is no way to get a car that heavy launched fast enough on those tiny little rear tires to run 12.2 unless you have NHRA type prep at the line or better. I still think 11's are out of the question.

Again, dont get panties in wad, just revisiting the magazine time and as more and more cars are coming out with more than ideal speeds as marketing strategies (i.e. 997 porsche turbo 11.2 @ 122 in mags, no one within a half second of that and most in the 118 range trap speeds in real life) just trying to see how much of this we are going to see in the near future.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
i can't even remember the last time we saw a gt500's dragstrip time.

I believe that the car is a low 12 second ride at 115+ bone stock on a good track. I ran 11.59 on the stock pulley!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
again, look how long it took "ranger" in the Z. give it time and i think we'll see some repeats. i could be wrong but time will tell.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
i think the problem is we don't have many drag racers getting these cars. the price of the market right now is preventing all of the previous cobra owners from buying the car, so we're not seeing track results.

1FSTHRSE

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
i think the problem is we don't have many drag racers getting these cars. the price of the market right now is preventing all of the previous cobra owners from buying the car, so we're not seeing track results.
I will hopefully get mine around the end of May. It is my goal to get one trip to our local 1320 before I get to EVO Performance for a stage II. I'll let you know.
03 cobra w/ CAI and cat back exhaust 12.88 at 112

sonic03snake

Track Whore
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
Isn't that a shame? I think Ford is getting away from what made the Mustang soo great, bang for the buck. I think the Shelbys are great but they are a little too far out of touch for the average guy to buy one and have mod money left over.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
sonic03snake said:
Isn't that a shame? I think Ford is getting away from what made the Mustang soo great, bang for the buck. I think the Shelbys are great but they are a little too far out of touch for the average guy to buy one and have mod money left over.
it's not ford...cause the MSRP is proportionally more than the previous cobra in terms of cost...it's the ****ing dealers (and people with fat pocketbooks) and the ADM.

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296665

drmustang

Banned
sonic03snake said:

You hit the nail on the head Lou! Great product but Corvette money for a Mustang puts the majority of the Stang core audience out of the picture. The pricing climate for this generation Cobra resulting from the Shelby endorsement and general hysteria has alienated many of the Mustang mainstay who have loyally supported Ford for decades.

Personally I'd rather have seen this Cobra badged as an SVT500. This would have negated the retailers ability to exploit the perception of this issue being a "Shelby" crafted product.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Not many people are running at the track because it's winter. Not many people are even getting cars because of ADMs. And those who do go to the track mod quickly since the car responds so well.

I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone taking a stock gt500 to the track and posting times.

FBMphil

Established Member
drmustang said:
Personally I'd rather have seen this Cobra badged as an SVT500. This would have negated the retailers ability to exploit the perception of this issue being a "Shelby" crafted product.
And it would have had the douchiest name ever.

R1Lello

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
Hopefully by now the guys here know that I'm not a terminator troll and considering this is the only part of this site I visit 95% of the time, not to mention we know what the car is capable of with very minor mods I just want to see if anyone is ready to concede the 12.2 @ 118 by evan smith considering it's still way faster than any other in a stock and faster than many even with DR's. I said there is no way to get a car that heavy launched fast enough on those tiny little rear tires to run 12.2 unless you have NHRA type prep at the line or better. I still think 11's are out of the question.

Again, dont get panties in wad, just revisiting the magazine time and as more and more cars are coming out with more than ideal speeds as marketing strategies (i.e. 997 porsche turbo 11.2 @ 122 in mags, no one within a half second of that and most in the 118 range trap speeds in real life) just trying to see how much of this we are going to see in the near future.

ah............fyi, our canadian Pro 5.0 champ JoeDaSilva tested a bone stock vista blue at 12.5 hot!! I was there and saw it and have photos for proof, he tested for Mod. Mustang mag, straight into the Toronto Motorsports Park, track allowed him 2 quick runs back to back (DaSilva Racing is a sponsor of this track ) with zero cooldown, and off he and the editor went to a dyno as they were pressed for time. I did get to speak to Joe a few minutes in the lane and he was confident with a few more runs, he'd improve by a couple or so tenths. Car was hopping bad though..... photo here........

http://ultimatemustangs.org/photoalbum/detail.asp?offset=20&ID=216

detail.asp

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
sonic03snake said:

Isn't that why Ford builds a Mustang GT or a 6 stang? The GT500 is a step up and one day, if it comes in at sticker, it's certainly not out of range of many folks. A $40-45k car, suv, truck isn't uncommon anymore. Hell, my Tahoe was $54k brand new (a $54k POS but thats another story).

sonic03snake

Track Whore
Established Member
bunk22 said:
Isn't that why Ford builds a Mustang GT or a 6 stang? The GT500 is a step up and one day, if it comes in at sticker, it's certainly not out of range of many folks. A $40-45k car, suv, truck isn't uncommon anymore. Hell, my Tahoe was $54k brand new (a $54k POS but thats another story).
Bang for the buck was the 03 / 04 Cobra, 10,000 less sticker than the Shelby and pretty close to the same performance. Nothing against the GT but you have to mod pretty hard to perform like the Cobras. I guess what I was trying to say was the 03/04 Cobras were within the reach of alot more people and you saw more modded ones earlier. At the premium over sticker price right now they just don't apeal to the average guy.

bluestreak89

Established Member
Yeah I know the ADM's are really keeping the dragsters from getting to the strip but I wanted to hear from the guys here who are obviously good drivers what they thought. 12.2 is very fast on those skimpy tires. Ranger ran 11.2 a long time ago and so have a couple other people the vette was predicted to be an 11.2 car and it is and IMO there are enough people in the 11.3 range that, even without ranger, would still put the car in the range at least large numbers have run 11.5. If the shelby had 11 or 12 inch wide tires stock I would change my mind in a heartbeat but the tires are not good enough.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
FYI
Evan Smith has always run some of the best stock times with all the Mustangs he has tested. For example - 13.7 in a 93 Cobra, 13.8 in a 94, 12.9 in a 95R, 13.6 in a 96, 12.5 in a 00R, 13.3 in a 01, 13.1 in a Mach 1, 12.4 in a Terminator and etc. :coolman:

Last edited:

jleews6

Established Member
My 03 went 12.6 @113 bone stock and I only made 4 passes in it when it was stock. I think that a good running 03/04 is capab;e of 12.3 and 4s stock and the Shelby makes alot more average power.
I think that once the right people get there hands on them and have some seat time in them 12.2s to 12.6 will be common. I also think that a stock Shelby with just tires can run well into the 11s. There have been stock ones that have run over115 and thats more than enough MPH to run in the 11s.:shrug:

stang22

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
Amen brother!

californiacuda

Established Member
Those of us that aren't that familiar with 1/4 mile tracks and surface prep. Last year I was at the Toronto Motorsports Track and the track was so sticky that whenI walked accross it my shoes stuck to the track and my feet pulled right out them. Much different that street asphalt conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread