So has enough time passed to call evan smith's time b.s.

bluestreak89

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
They couldn't drive for shit.

Remember back when I got my car I went racing. 12.8 @ 114 with 300 miles on the clock (91 octane tune). Oh yeah, that was on an unprepped surface (2.2 60') at LACR in 90* heat in 5100' DA. At a track like Atco, Cecil, Route 66, HRP this car with a proper driver will run a low 12/high 11 at 116-118 with a 1.8 60'. I've cut several 1.8's on street tires on prepped surfaces.
You cut 1.8's with 18x10 rears (bfg kdws right?) which I said the times might be possible with, not on the stock tires, no way.

I dont buy the 11.94 with a 1.9x 60' BONE STOCK and at almost 120mph, now that is b.s. DR's maybe more likely intake and tune though.

Last edited:

Robz

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
did your buddy run that time after ranger posted all his info on how to dial in the new z, as you allude to in your second paragraph?

there are a lot of great mustang drag racers out there, give any one a gt500 coupe for a couple days in good weather and decent track prep, very low twelves will be hit again if not lower(12 flat). now who was that guy that hit 13.0 in a 96-98 stock mustang svt?
Likely, as many others have. It takes about 30 passes to learn the subtleties of the car even bone stock at the strip. The keys are driver/air/traction as many know. It would take alot of seat time but 11.9x with a bone stock gt500 is achievable IMO. Noone thought the c5z could do it but eventually it happened. It takes a few guys with determination and then when they get real close others others jump in and learn from each other.

Fourcam330

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
Hopefully by now the guys here know that I'm not a terminator troll and considering this is the only part of this site I visit 95% of the time, not to mention we know what the car is capable of with very minor mods I just want to see if anyone is ready to concede the 12.2 @ 118 by evan smith considering it's still way faster than any other in a stock and faster than many even with DR's. I said there is no way to get a car that heavy launched fast enough on those tiny little rear tires to run 12.2 unless you have NHRA type prep at the line or better. I still think 11's are out of the question.

Again, dont get panties in wad, just revisiting the magazine time and as more and more cars are coming out with more than ideal speeds as marketing strategies (i.e. 997 porsche turbo 11.2 @ 122 in mags, no one within a half second of that and most in the 118 range trap speeds in real life) just trying to see how much of this we are going to see in the near future.

In short, no, not enough time has passed. We can make the call after this drag season (winter '07).

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
03dsgcobranc said:
evan smith is a great driver. I have an old issue of GM high tech performance where he drove a then new stock 98 Z28 to a 13.11
Umm...actually Evan ran 12.89@108 with a 1998 Z28.;-)

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Back in November, Johnny Wiker of Johnny Lightning Performance went a 12.60 at 116 in his 07' and I would consider him one of the better drivers around. Evan Smith is obviously legendary with the 1/4 mile and has had probably more experience with all sorts of high performance cars than anybody, but I think the title and subject of this thread is certainly justified......

Users who are viewing this thread