So I am giving up drag racing

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Like the title says, I am giving up drag racing and coming over to the dark side, LOL!

My wife and I recently attended an HPDE put on by the THSCC/Triangle Z Club at Rockinham (the old NASCAR oval). It was a LOT of fun, very educational and one of the best weekends we have had in a long time. The best way I can describe it is being on a roller coaster for 25 minutes... and you are the one controlling the direction and speed.

First, thanks to Ed (Edz on here) for pointing me in the right direction on this one. Second, thanks to everyone with great advice on my prep thread weeks ago. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321647

After getting home, I did a little calculating... I used to say that I drag raced because it was cheap and easy to get into. That is true when looking at the total cost involved, but after spending a weekend at the HPDE I found that dollar for dollar of track time, the HPDE event is a MUCH better deal. The typical FFW or NMRA True Street event to enter is somewhere around 80-100 (more or less) and will get you 2-3 practice runs on Saturday, 3 runs for the TS competition, 2-3 practice runs Sunday morning, and 1-5 runs in Sunday bracket racing depending on your rounds. So, let's say you run a total of 9 runs for the weekend (2 practice each day, 3 TS and you go 2 rounds on Sunday) and entry fee was $100. If you have a car like our 99, you are actually on the track for 11-12 seconds each time. So, that is somewhere around $55 per minute on the track.

On the flip side, the HPDE we attended got us six 25 minute track sessions, six 50 minute classroom sessions, lunch on Saturday and Sunday, t-shirts, etc... all for $280. My math tells me that we paid about $1.87 for each minute on the track. This may not have been the typical cost of an HPDE, but dollar for dollar it is a much better deal than any drag racing event I have attended. While there are no trophies or money to be won, I just enjoy being on the track and learning! Another bonus is this was much less stressful on the car... we drove it to and from the track and had absolutely no issues during the weekend. I have never been able to do that drag racing.

Here are a couple of pics from that weekend. Most of them have my wife behind the wheel. We are definitely looking forward to VIR in February... and no more drag racing for us!!!

IMG_9580-1.jpg

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Uh oh, another one's hooked on the track pipe!!! Now you can begin to realize the full potential that you and your car have. Great pics!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
99COBRA2881 said:
Uh oh, another one's hooked on the track pipe!!! Now you can begin to realize the full potential that you and your car have. Great pics!

Now you will realize how damn much money can be spent on your addiction!!!!

;-) :lol: :p

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Congrats on the addiction! I like your $/minute analogy. When I tell my friends what I pay for the track they think I am crazy. I hadn't ever explained it like you did. I always used the $/fun factor to try and explain my addiction. :pepper: :banana: :beer:

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
Stay away from Ed! He's a bad influence!! LOL

He got me hooked about 4 years ago, and my wallet is much lighter now!

But, it's worth every penny of it!

brkntrxn

Established Member
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I heard the "track pipe" comment a few times that weekend and it seems pretty appropriate.

One of the unexpected things I enjoyed was seeing all of the different cars on the track. It was cool to see other makes and models going around the track, running nose to tail and passing. Nothing looks better on a track imo than an AC Cobra (or replica) and there were two out there that weekend. I was also very impressed with the BMWs, WRXs, Z cars and one particular S-trim Mini.

I was able to go for a ride in my instructors track only BMW -- man what a ride. That thing was on rails! He actually "got" my stomach coming through NASCAR turn 1 and 2. In contrast, I rode in another instructors '72 240 Z and it was a totally different ride. His car was not as fast, but he sure handled it well through the turns on the edge of traction (that was a fun ride).

Oh, everyone with Mustangs will like this one... my wife was walking through the paddock with her instructor and someone made a comment, "Hey, did you hear there is a 500+hp Mustang here?" She said, "Really? Tell me about it. What does it look like?" No one knew that she was driving it!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
welcome!! Great pics, if you got some videos, that would be even better!! LOL

Welcome to the darkside.

Dave

brkntrxn

Established Member
LOL, I wish I had video... the guy that pitted next to us had video and data logging in his Mazda and he could sync the two and you could see the data read at the same time as the video... cool as hell.

Here are a couple more pics (these are with me behind the wheel).

IMG_9293-1.jpg

IMG_9297-1.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
brkntrxn said:
I was able to go for a ride in my instructors track only BMW -- man what a ride. That thing was on rails! He actually "got" my stomach coming through NASCAR turn 1 and 2. In contrast, I rode in another instructors '72 240 Z and it was a totally different ride. His car was not as fast, but he sure handled it well through the turns on the edge of traction (that was a fun ride).

A few things to note. The first is every person has a little different idea of how they want to modify their car. Some guys like nice comfortable riding cars that drive nicely on the street and track. Some guys like the raw feeling of lots of raw power, noise and a well set-up suspension that requires trailering the car to the track! (Moi) :-D

One other thing is the variation you will see in drivers. Some drivers are insanely fast, some are kind of fast and some are downright slow. They are all having the same amount of fun however!??!

The same goes for instructors at these events. They run the complete gamut. Some are good and some are not so good. Some will expect you to perfectly execute maneuvers before they allow you to go fast! You can ride with ten instructors and you will get 10 different lines on the same track. Everyone interprets slight nuances in turns differently. Take all of the information in and try different things to see what works the best for you and your particular vehicle with your SOTP dyno.

This sport will definitely use up all of your free time! ;-) Enjoy!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
/\.... Good advise...

And welcome!!!

It simply is not possible to have MORE fun in a car.......... If your pants are still on...

Great to hear your wife also enjoys tearing it up right along with you!!!
You two have a lot of fun times ahead of you!!!:thumbsup:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Welcome and remember:
Drag racing is for fast cars, road courses and autocross are for fast drivers!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
The same goes for instructors at these events. They run the complete gamut. Some are good and some are not so good. Some will expect you to perfectly execute maneuvers before they allow you to go fast! You can ride with ten instructors and you will get 10 different lines on the same track. Everyone interprets slight nuances in turns differently. Take all of the information in and try different things to see what works the best for you and your particular vehicle with your SOTP dyno.

I'm glad you mentioned this.

This season I earned my time trial competition license with COM (in MA.) I had been to NHIS (in Loudon NH.) numerous times, and had a few different instructors there. Since COM is not specific to one type of car or platform, the instructors vary quite a bit. I typically request one of the instructors that drives a Mustang himself/herself as they would have first hand experience with the proper line a Mustang can use with the best efficiency. I usually end up getting whatever they'd throw at me.

The thing I wanted to note was the day I earned my license, was actually a day a Mustang driving instructor was in the car with me. He had me doing some stuff from turns 6-10 that was VERY different than I had learned the previous two times I was there. It turned out that the line he had me on was considerably slower than the line I had been using. So I brought it up to him after the session was over... and he brought me in his car to explain. He was significantly slower though that section... But I kept track of his entry and exit speeds and such. Then we went back out in my car. I noted that my entry and exit speeds were almost 10mph faster and the line changes with that much more speed.

His stop watch showed I was a good 1.5 seconds faster through that section. I didn't want to press him and say that my line was faster, but the evidence was there, and I said, I think I've got the line down through here.

At the end of the session, he signed me off for the license. He wrote the following statement in my log: "Knows when he receives bad instruction, disagrees respectfully, and explains himself and how he know's what is right" As if to say he had me on the slow line on purpose..

I guess some instructors like to play games...

Sorry for being so wordy.....but the point is, if you think you are getting bad instruction, it is ok to speak up about it.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TroyV said:
I'm glad you mentioned this.

I guess some instructors like to play games...

Sorry for being so wordy.....but the point is, if you think you are getting bad instruction, it is ok to speak up about it.

Troy:

It may not always be the case of bad instruction? As you and everyone else learned, late turn ins and late apexes are the safest route through a turn. The events want to maintain a safe history of incidents and later turn ins and apexes are the safety cushion. Once a driver becomes more proficient they can start turning in earlier and earlier. Along with earlier turn ins comes earlier apexes.

When students show me good (or excellent) car control, I feel much more comfortable showing them "the fast" line around the track. I want to see a student with a fast reflex catching a loose ass end without even missing a beat. If they are able to do that I feel comfortable getting them going a little faster.

We slowly creep up on turn ins and apexes which allows us to carry more speed through the turns. Some students are ready for that and others clearly are not.

YMMV,

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I could certainly see that as the case if the instructor was blazing through there during his session, but I certainly see your point now. I didn't really see it as bad instruction at the time, just a less efficient line is all.. It made me really curious as to why an instructor would write that his own instruction was bad, in something as permanent as a log book..

Sorry for the thread hijack..

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TroyV said:
I could certainly see that as the case if the instructor was blazing through there during his session, but I certainly see your point now. I didn't really see it as bad instruction at the time, just a less efficient line is all.. It made me really curious as to why an instructor would write that his own instruction was bad, in something as permanent as a log book..

Sorry for the thread hijack..

Troy:

I'm agreeing with you here that you probably needed a more advanced instructor? Many instructors do not drive fast on the proper line. Most do, but there are many that don't.

It's entirely possible you were much too advanced for the instructor you had? It happens sometimes. Maybe what you need is a racing school? Bondurant does a good one. Skip Barber does one as well. Learning from other friends at the track is also another option. I've learned plenty from sharing speed secrets with track pals on a given track.

This really doesn't qualify as a thread hi-jack! ;-) :poke: The thread starter shared with us how much fun he had on track and we're just letting him know what to expect when he gets out there! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread