So i leave for basic training in less than a week

PatsFan

That guy
Established Member
Well this comes as a surprise to me that it is happening this fast, i got a call from my recruiter a week ago telling me about the possibility of having to leave for basic on the 26th. Well i just found out that i have to leave on the 26th.

Im going for the Air Force and this has been a long time coming. I was initially specifically training for the job i want (TACP) however that training got a little off track and shifted more towards bodybuilding.

I was in the middle of contest prep for a show (bobybuilding) in early july, but that is going to be put on hold. Im currentally 5'7" a little under 200lbs and am not the best runner, so ill prob struggle a little there and lose a lot of this weight.

Any way, i just figured i would share with you guys

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Good luck, i heard the AF doesnt really do runs like the Army and Marines, and does their cardio on bikes. Probably wrong though, and if its anything like the Army, you can be over your weight so long as you meet body fat standards. In your case as a bodybuilder you shouldnt have any trouble. I think 20% is the MAX you can have for BF which is a lot.

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
Good Luck Bro!
Im in the Army... and just a word of advice. Dont listen to other airman in basic. I dont care if their brothers mothers uncle did it... dont listen to the rumors and shit. I remember when I went into basic, people would say so much shit even though non of us really knew what was going on.

and airforce PT is easy as shit. I think you guys only run a mile and do push-ups and sit-ups for a minute (army does 2 min pushups/situps and run the 2 mile).

Btw Ive been to a few airforce bases (Elmendorf, Alaska and Vandenberg,Cali) and they are pretty kickass, and the foods great too.

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
OP: It would be a good move that you arrive to Lackland shaved and with a decent haircut. If you stand out, one of the TIs walking around will find you and you will be their "pet" for all sorts of insults for the duration. IMO, BMT wasn't that hard... just remember, hydrate, reporting statements, learn the training book they give you.

I'd say the hardest part for BMT, in my experience, was hearing guys crying at night after lights out. I guess some guys were never yelled at when growing up.

You will be a pretty happy guy when you get that coin...

Good luck, i heard the AF doesnt really do runs like the Army and Marines, and does their cardio on bikes. Probably wrong though, and if its anything like the Army, you can be over your weight so long as you meet body fat standards. In your case as a bodybuilder you shouldnt have any trouble. I think 20% is the MAX you can have for BF which is a lot.

Yes, you have somewhat wrong info on the cardio. If the member has a medical profile that prevents them from running, then they can take the bike test. We still have the PT test set up as: 1.5 mile run, 1 min for pushups/situps and height/weight/abdominal circumference. Word is that the top brass would like to change our program to be closer to the army program, with more variety and testing every 6 months.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Don't listen to this...20% is the BF limit, but don't let people tell you the USAF doesn't run like the Army or Marines. As a TACP, you'll endure some of the most difficult training the military has to offer. Way more difficult than Army or Marines BMT.

What the ****? Is this serious? Wow you must be highly misinformed :poke::bored:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Don't listen to this...20% is the BF limit, but don't let people tell you the USAF doesn't run like the Army or Marines. As a TACP, you'll endure some of the most difficult training the military has to offer. Way more difficult than Army or Marines BMT.

I'm also leaving for BMT on the 26th. Like you, I am enlisted as a TACP candidate. My start date in Hurlburt is 4 August 2009, a week after we graduate basic.

And yes, I'm 6'5" 240 lbs with a bodybuilder build. I have around 12% BF. And yes, be prepared to run daily in TACP school, as much as 5 miles a day. All that muscle we've worked so hard to gain? Kiss it goodbye.

PM me for a coupla details or more questions and maybe we'll see each other in school.

Jameson

Well since ive done it and since i know people who have changed branches from AF to Army, i would think that my info is far more correct than yours, ever hear of something called experience? And i can guarantee you that your basic training is NOT one of the hardest things to do in the military, ever hear of SERE? or SFQ course? :bored: Let us know when you return from your 6 weeks

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
TACP
[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1996953509"]TACP Training Video Video by TACP - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=1996953509@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@myspace@@AMEPARAM@@services/media/embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@1996953509[/ame]

Another one. this one is better. This isnt AF basic training.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br9k9z9hXyQ&feature=PlayList&p=323FE84FCDC6B934&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19"]YouTube - TACP RECRUTING VIDEO (UNOFICIAL)[/ame]

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Well since ive done it and since i know people who have changed branches from AF to Army, i would think that my info is far more correct than yours, ever hear of something called experience? And i can guarantee you that your basic training is NOT one of the hardest things to do in the military, ever hear of SERE? or SFQ course? :bored: Let us know when you return from your 6 weeks

I dont necessarily think it takes experience to know that's a load of crap, I think it's common knowledge, lol. l

Why would the AF have more rigorous training and tougher physical standards than the Army or Marines who deal in ground movement.

Not knocking AF training but every branch has standards based around the demands of the job. In that the Army and Marines obviously have higher physical demands.

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
lol now this has turned into a branch pissing match.

But I have one thing to say to 97formulaws6.... How the **** do you know which one is harder then the other???? LOL you just said you are leaving for basic, that means you have never set foot in any basic training before. Not going to knock the airforce (they have some hot chicks LOL) but comeone there is a reason your guy's basics only 6 weeks long and the armys is 9 weeks and the marines is 12.

and to PatsBan.... good luck man, stay strong and stay motivated and time will fly by fast.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
do as your told and dont volunteer for anything. thats the advice my recruiter gave me many years ago. its good advice lol. Thanks for serving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread