So in all honesty.... 01 to 03-4 rooting...

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Would it not in the long run be more beneficial to just put in an 03-04 motor instead of dealing with the laundry list of crap required to get a 99-01 motor adapted for the twin screw? On top of that the lower end of the motor and all... is it considered practical to spend 3-4k for a roots blower, or spend that money on a motor? :shrug: Just not seeing why everyone does it i guess.... Being the motor maxes out at what.. 450hp? You can easily achieve this with a simple pulley and tune on a 03-04 :/

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This has been discussed time and time again but you are forgetting a couple of things

1.) Teksid/WAP block is 70 lbs lighter than the iron block and will hold just as much power. 70 less pounds on the front of a car is a huge difference when it comes to handling and balance
2.) not everyone has the capability to swap engines
3.) not everyone wants to go with a twin screw blower, some prefer centri's or turbos
4.) 03/04 shortblocks are good, but not the end-all-be-all of built motors. A motor built by a good mod motor builder (and with the proper components) will support far more power than the 03/04 motor

With all that being said, I still wish I had a car with the 03/04 motor...

Last edited:

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
Keeping in mind that I am a novice at this stuff, it would seem to me someone that wants the kinda power provided by the Termi would be better off selling/trading the 99/01 for a 03/04 and just paying the difference. Seems it would save a lot of time, effort and at least you could finance that extra money rather cheap these days than have to save up or charge on a credit card all the components needed to make the 99/01 motor up to the same capabilities as the Termi. Unless of course part of the joy is building the current motor up to the same capabilities as the Termi (I could see that point of view as well. I just can't do that :shrug: )

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Part of the difference is you can get a decent 99/01 for anywhere between 8-12k, and any halfway decent 03/04 is going to be at least 10-12k more than that. You can do a hell of an engine build and power adder for less than 10k

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
I meant doing a motor swap.. to get the same result as just doing an eaton swap on a 99/01. Yes you are putting a heavier motor in if you use the termi motor.... but you have so much more potential.. They are forged bottom ends from the factory.... and the weakest point is the blowby off the heads from my understanding.. The amount of money I believe you would save (what can a termi motor cost.... 3-4k?) vs the damn near same price for the eaton swap wouldnt you just be better off with the termi (and yes with a motor swap it is a pain.. but rebuilding your 99-01 doesnt sound like its just a quick slap together either...

2001cobravert

Established Member
Good luck finding a terminator engine for 3-4k.
And it depends if you can do the labor yourself vs. having to pay to get it done. That's pricey too.

cobraguy96

Established Member
Ive currently got a complete eaton swap waiting on me when i return home from deployment, and as listed some of the main reasons i went this route were due to already having a strong aluminum block(hate adding the weight of the eaton already), as well as the ability to build the shortblock with better clearances( referring to the tight ring gaps) and possible stroker assembly. But i believe a complete 03-04 motor would be a great starting point, as ive spent about 3k on gathering all my eaton swap parts plus a few goodies. It seems alot of guys that are shooting for 7-800hp rebuild their 03-04 cobra shortblocks anyway, so i'd like to do it with an aluminum block.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
The blocks maybe iron... but the forged internals is what im looking at... a shortblock that can handle 1000 rwhp from factory seems to sound much more exhilarating than an entire motor maxing out at 450-500...

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Don't forget, besides the basic engine swap you also have to deal with the intercooler plumbing and swapping wiring harnesses and then you have to get the ECU to run it all properly.

We used to sell a ton of swap parts for this kind of thing but the parts are being discontinued rapidly which also makes the swap much more difficult.

I'd think you'd be much better off just building your own short block and go with the centi or turbo.

-Steve

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The blocks maybe iron... but the forged internals is what im looking at... a shortblock that can handle 1000 rwhp from factory seems to sound much more exhilarating than an entire motor maxing out at 450-500...

It can't handle 1000 rwhp though. 700ish is considered the upper limit

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Ive currently got a complete eaton swap waiting on me when i return home from deployment, and as listed some of the main reasons i went this route were due to already having a strong aluminum block(hate adding the weight of the eaton already), as well as the ability to build the shortblock with better clearances( referring to the tight ring gaps) and possible stroker assembly. But i believe a complete 03-04 motor would be a great starting point, as ive spent about 3k on gathering all my eaton swap parts plus a few goodies. It seems alot of guys that are shooting for 7-800hp rebuild their 03-04 cobra shortblocks anyway, so i'd like to do it with an aluminum block.

Why would you purposely run tight ring gaps on a supercharged engine shooting for 700-800hp? You would also be looking at stainless rings with that set up most likely, which wear cylinder walls more, then you're going to increase the side load on the wall with a stroker crank? You may wan't to rethink this combo a little.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
You're looking at this wrong. If you buy a terminator long block for 3k you still need to buy all of the eaton swap parts. You can't just stick in the long block and be done with it. You're still missing a TON of parts. I decided to do the eaton swap, cost me under 3k with a dyno tune and 03 tank and pumps (sold my old parts). Car makes 440 at the wheels and later on if I want more ill forge it and throw some more boost at it.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
It can't handle 1000 rwhp though. 700ish is considered the upper limit

The Terminator short block most certainly can handle 1000rwhp, it takes perfect tuning though and it is certainly at the ragged edge.

#29 on the timeslip database, Buster, a local customer of mine running a stone stock Ford reman Terminator engine. The best dyno I ever saw from him was 1004whp. I know it had better than 50 passes on it before he sold it and the next owner blew it up when an injector failed so even when it did fail it wasnt the fault of the engine internals.

SVTPerformance - Timeslips Database

Last edited:

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
While we are on this subject, what would be a good path for me to follow if I wanted to go the Supercharged route. And when I say "path" I am referring to the necessary steps to have a car that can handle the extra horsepower and hopefully not breeak down all the time.

I have an 01 Cobra with 76k on it. Has 3.90 gears, cat back, K&N and pulleys. What would be the logical progression as far as parts/bolt ons before addin the Supercharger. Once ready for the supercharger, which route should I go?

It will be a daily driver for about another year and then it will be a play toy. Not looking to make an 800 or 100 horsepower monster. maybe something more in the 450 to 550 range that is still very streetable.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The Terminator short block most certainly can handle 1000rwhp, it takes perfect tuning though and it is certainly at the ragged edge.

#29 on the timeslip database, Buster, a local customer of mine running a stone stock Ford reman Terminator engine. The best dyno I ever saw from him was 1004whp. I know it had better than 50 passes on it before he sold it and the next owner blew it up when an injector failed so even when it did fail it wasnt the fault of the engine internals.

SVTPerformance - Timeslips Database

I guess that is the difference between a max power motor that needs 116 race gas and perfect tuning vs a reliable engine in a street car. When I said 700ish is the limit, I meant for reliablity on the street.

A little more proof that 700ish is the sane upper limit is that Manley rates their h-beam rods at 700 hp, and they look very very similar to the rods supplied for the 03/04 Cobra. Manley 4.6 Steel H-Beam Connecting Rods

And 700 rwhp is more like 825 at the crank so the rods are already pushed past their advertised rating.

Last edited:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I guess that is the difference between a max power motor that needs 116 race gas and perfect tuning vs a reliable engine in a street car. When I said 700ish is the limit, I meant for reliablity on the street.

A little more proof that 700ish is the sane upper limit is that Manley rates their h-beam rods at 700 hp, and they look very very similar to the rods supplied for the 03/04 Cobra. Manley 4.6 Steel H-Beam Connecting Rods

And 700 rwhp is more like 825 at the crank so the rods are already pushed past their advertised rating.

Plenty of guys have blown up Terminators just trying to get to 500hp, it doesn't matter what power level you're aiming for with these things, if your tune isn't good you are screwed. :thumbsup:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

they can't handle 1000rwhp from the factory for long

Users who are viewing this thread