So let's talk daily drivers

EB85

Established Member
I was in a fender bender this morning and driving my loaner is making me consider getting rid of my Subaru Legacy. It's a great car and has been damn near problem free for the 8 years and 90k miles I put on it. But with 114k on it now, it's coming up to where parts will be wearing out more than the usual maintenance stuff. I'm kinda shopping/reading reviews and asking around to see who likes what. I'm trying to stay at no more than the low 20's in price. I would like something with a warranty of CPO. Domestic or import doesn't matter but no GM products. I would like to stick with AWD but a few cars I'm looking at are front wheel and I'm back and forth. I live in SE PA so we do get a few snow days on average but is that enough to warrant having all wheel drive or will a set of snow tires do me well enough? No trucks, please. I would prefer a manual trans but if there's a reliable auto/CVT available I would consider that, too. Here's a few examples I've been looking at and want to drive soon:

Focus SE/Titanium (maybe an ST. I have seen some good markdowns on them)
Fiesta
Crosstrek XV
Maybe a used Forester but they are a little above my $$$ range
Mazda 3/6 possibly?

EB85

Established Member
Have you considered a GTI? We have one for a daily and it's been great.

I'm a little iffy on VW, to be honest. I worked for them for a short period and saw and still see some horror stories. But, on the other hand, that was also years ago.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Why no GM?

Mazdaspeed6. This is my 2nd one & both have been great & very fun to drive. Can be had under $15k with lower miles & in great shape if you look.

EB85

Established Member
Why no GM?

Because GM.

Seriously, though, the only GM vehicle within the last say 20+ years I would consider would be the one in your sig. Maybe a C5Z but even then eeeh.

I have Fridays off so once I get my car back I wanna start driving a few cars here and there. Plus I need to figure out financing. I have 1 loan out for my Cobra and want to see if it's plausible or possible to have my bank absorb that loan and give me another so I only have 1 payment per month if it came down to it.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Love my 2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost that I picked up last month. Almost never see one and it has comfort/power to boot.

MKS1.jpg

Intervention302

Established Member
Absolutely LOVE my ST...

Put roughly 25k miles on her to date. Picked it up as a certified used with the 100k warranty. 2014 ST3, Tuxedo Black

Averaging 26.4 MPG and I drive her hard. I'm not saying I drive her rental car hard, but I beat the snot out of it, and she just keeps smiling

Handles like a BOSS as well. Take her to a few Autocross sessions last year and hope for many more this year

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If you can, wait a few months and be ready to scoop up a FiST from someone when their RS comes in. I'm sure there are going to be many going for the upgrade. I've heard the FiST is the most non-fwd feeling fwd "performance" car ever.

blk02edge

Established Member
after driving pretty much all of the above the mazda 3 was the most fun (not counting the ST's). I avoided anything turbo for my DD to resist modding.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I'd go with Focus ST. Driven a few of them and they're a blast. If AWD is a must then go for the Fusion

XtraTQ

Established Member
Another vote for an ST. I've been pretty happy with my '14 ST3.

EB85

Established Member
To those who have a FIST/FoST, have you ever had to go through a few inches of snow in them? I realize that a set of snow tires makes all the difference in any car but it's been a long time since I had to drive a 2wd car in the white stuff.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I love my 2015 FiST. 20k miles as of this week with no issues. Great car and extremely fun to drive.

If you still want AWD, the Crosstrek XV is pretty sick. They are quite quick for a nondescript car and have plenty of room. They are also a beast in the snow. They come in some cool colors also(check out the green and blue, very vibrant).

evolve

Established Member
after driving pretty much all of the above the mazda 3 was the most fun (not counting the ST's). I avoided anything turbo for my DD to resist modding.

This. I went with a 2000 Toyota Solara. With 135hp/135tq, I know Im not passing anyone or modding here.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I've got a couple friends with the Crossteck and they both love them. Really nice interiors, awd, and available in manual tranny

Users who are viewing this thread