So let's talk daily drivers

Seleckt

Established Member
90's Toyota Corolla. Indestructible bastards.

A friend of mine has one with 450k miles on it, still going strong.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member

This, it's nice hopping into a sporty 4 door luxury DD. They're also damn reliable. My 06 GS430 has the same HP and weight as a 99/01 cobra, it rolls out pretty good and pulls really nice on the top end. It's horrible in the snow though even with traction control, snow mode, and all seasons. That's what I have an F250 for though.

Some things are expensive on it though when you singable to fix something. When I got it the rear knuckle needed to be replaced which was a $400 part. The center dash vent is missing the piece to move the inner part of the vent and that's like a $800 part. The rear view mirror has the reflective finish fading and that's a $1200 part. I knew about the vent and mirror when I bought it though and didn't care, I got a decent deal on the car and it's my "beater". I did just have a shock go out which mine has the sport suspension which is very rare and they stopped making the shocks for. Instead of paying $300 for a used shock I'm going to do coil overs all the way around. I should be able to sell the three good shocks and actuators afterwards for enough to pay for the coil overs.

Never_Enough

Established Member
So F the C6Z & the GN too? Whoa... :p

Because GM.

Seriously, though, the only GM vehicle within the last say 20+ years I would consider would be the one in your sig. Maybe a C5Z but even then eeeh.

I have Fridays off so once I get my car back I wanna start driving a few cars here and there. Plus I need to figure out financing. I have 1 loan out for my Cobra and want to see if it's plausible or possible to have my bank absorb that loan and give me another so I only have 1 payment per month if it came down to it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
How bad is the tq steer?

Absolutely LOVE my ST...

Put roughly 25k miles on her to date. Picked it up as a certified used with the 100k warranty. 2014 ST3, Tuxedo Black

Averaging 26.4 MPG and I drive her hard. I'm not saying I drive her rental car hard, but I beat the snot out of it, and she just keeps smiling

Handles like a BOSS as well. Take her to a few Autocross sessions last year and hope for many more this year

Intervention302

Established Member
58e6caa0700334c3ef28d208247d3618.jpg

Rolling on WS80s, probably the best snow tire money can buy. I won't lie, its not great. But it will get the job done. I have a slight to moderate incline (Cobra just scrapes entering) driveway, and the ST will go up it from a standstill in 3-4"

The limiting factor is, the open diff and 270 torque. It just spins, but that makes it a hoot to drive. In the snow on the Highway, she will easily spin in 5th

Mine put down 239/271 to the tire stock

Torque steer? Yeah it's bad, but again it's all part of the character of the car. It really is fun to drive. Couldn't be any different than the Cobra. The steering is so quick and accurate, and it prefers oversteer to understeer

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I cross shopped Used/CPO FoST, New FiST and Used/CPO Gen Coupes. You can tell what I ended up with, but they were all right on the screws. FiST was appealing because $21k for a new car. FoST was appealing due to it being a little bigger and quicker. Gen was appealing due to it being more of a sports car and RWD.

I get mid 20's mpg, and its quick and fun for a DD. Though I will be searching for more, RWD makes you want to do bad things but 275hp doesnt give you much options for carrying out said vehicular shenanigans. Definitely see coyote power in my future.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I gotta have a rwd v8 for daily driver. otherwise my commute is very, very boring. terminator ftw :thumbsup:

low $20s? that is a pretty good chunk of change and if that were my budget right now I try to find as much mustang/challenger/camaro as that would buy me.

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
By far as dd, my 2015 st2 takes the cake. It gets awesome mpgs, looks good and can turn like a mofo. Idk about you, but I hate boring dd's I needed something that I enjoyed spending time in.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
low 20's is tough to find something new & sporty. i DD a '15 Golf R and absolutely love it. you could pick up a GTI for your budget or possibly a civic Si? What about a WRX? after those choices i would go Focus ST. if you buy a dedicated set of snow tires you will more than OK, even in a RWD. the tires make all the difference.

EB85

Established Member
I've got a couple friends with the Crossteck and they both love them. Really nice interiors, awd, and available in manual tranny
They are pretty much first on my list to drive. It's like a current version of the jacked up Outback you used to be able to get. 2 friends have them and both adore them.
This, it's nice hopping into a sporty 4 door luxury DD. They're also damn reliable. My 06 GS430 has the same HP and weight as a 99/01 cobra, it rolls out pretty good and pulls really nice on the top end. It's horrible in the snow though even with traction control, snow mode, and all seasons. That's what I have an F250 for though.

Some things are expensive on it though when you singable to fix something. When I got it the rear knuckle needed to be replaced which was a $400 part. The center dash vent is missing the piece to move the inner part of the vent and that's like a $800 part. The rear view mirror has the reflective finish fading and that's a $1200 part. I knew about the vent and mirror when I bought it though and didn't care, I got a decent deal on the car and it's my "beater". I did just have a shock go out which mine has the sport suspension which is very rare and they stopped making the shocks for. Instead of paying $300 for a used shock I'm going to do coil overs all the way around. I should be able to sell the three good shocks and actuators afterwards for enough to pay for the coil overs.
I work for MB so if I was going into that segment, I could jump into a slightly used CPO C-Class for cheaper than a Lexus/Audi/BMW. I thought about that and may go back looking a little deeper into my options.
So F the C6Z & the GN too? Whoa... :p
No, a C6Z was in his signature and that was one of the few I would consider. Plus the GN is right on the 20 year limit so I will grant it a 1 year pardon for the 1987.
I cross shopped Used/CPO FoST, New FiST and Used/CPO Gen Coupes. You can tell what I ended up with, but they were all right on the screws. FiST was appealing because $21k for a new car. FoST was appealing due to it being a little bigger and quicker. Gen was appealing due to it being more of a sports car and RWD.

I get mid 20's mpg, and its quick and fun for a DD. Though I will be searching for more, RWD makes you want to do bad things but 275hp doesnt give you much options for carrying out said vehicular shenanigans. Definitely see coyote power in my future.
I'm a little iffy on Hyundai. I have a Santa Fe loaner right now and it's decent but I'm on the fence. Plus there are a lot of riced out Gens my way. Like they replaced the hella flush VW's of a few years ago. They just seem rickety.
low 20's is tough to find something new & sporty. i DD a '15 Golf R and absolutely love it. you could pick up a GTI for your budget or possibly a civic Si? What about a WRX? after those choices i would go Focus ST. if you buy a dedicated set of snow tires you will more than OK, even in a RWD. the tires make all the difference.
My current car is a turbo Legacy so it's essentially a WRX with leather and a sunroof. Like someone else said, maybe a turbo isn't the best idea because of the mod bug and in my case, worries about extra maintenance. Although my car has been trouble free for nearly 100k miles. More than anything I'm looking for reliability and to gain some gas mileage back.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
As a couple have mentioned you cannot beat the level of luxury/power/price of an SHO or MKS ecoboost. AWD, 365HP, heated/cooled seats, optional rear heated seats, optional massage seats, can be had for high teens for a 2010 with mileage. Low mileage 13+(redesign) are in the 20's. It's a lot of car for the money.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'm a little iffy on Hyundai. I have a Santa Fe loaner right now and it's decent but I'm on the fence. Plus there are a lot of riced out Gens my way. Like they replaced the hella flush VW's of a few years ago. They just seem rickety.

Yeah mines not too bad, id say right there with S197 mustang fit and finish. But yeah, most mod them for stance, kinda sucks. Aftermarket for performance didnt take off for these cars like the Evo or ST's, the 3.8 motors were fast enough for most and the ECU's on the whole platform is so hard to crack most have failed but two proprietary vendors who require a physical ecu in their hands to make changes directly to it, which makes it hard for the 2.0t guys to do much unless they want to get nuts with Haltech and hack up their wiring harness and end up with no AC and a slough of other cons.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I gotta have a rwd v8 for daily driver. otherwise my commute is very, very boring. terminator ftw :thumbsup:

low $20s? that is a pretty good chunk of change and if that were my budget right now I try to find as much mustang/challenger/camaro as that would buy me.

I agree with this. I can't drive a small car at 270 pounds so a full size v8 challenger is perfect for me. I'd also get a mustang or camaro or even a truck if I found a nice one.

Users who are viewing this thread