So - my 2015 Auto gained 54lbs.....but

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Gaining 54 lbs is not a big deal... But when Ford was talking a big weight loss, 200+lbs, it is a disappointment!

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Technically, the S550 platform saved weight, just not in total. The IRS and the car as a whole, is heavier.

If you were to take the IRS and add/swap it into an S197, it would be heavier than the S550.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Technically, the S550 platform saved weight, just not in total. The IRS and the car as a whole, is heavier.

If you were to take the IRS and add/swap it into an S197, it would be heavier than the S550.

You should see all the steel reinforcement that was added to the S550 compared to an S197. The A-pillars have steel tubes running through them that effectively creates a cage in the roof. The header panel is much beefier too.

BMR Tech

You should see all the steel reinforcement that was added to the S550 compared to an S197. The A-pillars have steel tubes running through them that effectively creates a cage in the roof. The header panel is much beefier too.

Good info, thanks for sharing!

That solidifies the fact that the 2015 is a wonderfully engineered platform. The more and more I am learning about this car, the more I am amazed with it. Especially for the base auto to only gain 54lbs. I can't wait to corner scale this thing once it arrives!

IamRacerX

Established Member
Where did anyone in Ford make a claim of a 200+lb weight reduction?
Well it was rumored 1st that the car would be similar in size and weight to the sn95. Then the "leaks out of Ford" claimed a much lighter car 200-250lbs lighter.... TheN about a year ago no mention of weight.... At all!! Chevy was originally claiming the C7 would weigh what the C6 Z06 weighed... Yea right, it's actually 100+ lbs heavier than the out going base C6.. Forget about the Zs weight.
The auto companies like to think they can do it all on the next car, to bad there are regulations and requirements that keep adding lbs.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure this new Mustang will handle amazing! It's better balanced and the irs mean it's going to be a big improvement.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well it was rumored 1st that the car would be similar in size and weight to the sn95. Then the "leaks out of Ford" claimed a much lighter car 200-250lbs lighter.... TheN about a year ago no mention of weight.... At all!! Chevy was originally claiming the C7 would weigh what the C6 Z06 weighed... Yea right, it's actually 100+ lbs heavier than the out going base C6.. Forget about the Zs weight.
The auto companies like to think they can do it all on the next car, to bad there are regulations and requirements that keep adding lbs.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure this new Mustang will handle amazing! It's better balanced and the irs mean it's going to be a big improvement.

That rumor is just like the ones about the Trinity showing up in the 2016 SVT car, or it being an EcoBoost V8. Guys pull it out of their ass so they can get people to their sites. AKA, Click Bait.

stangfreak

Established Member
It's making me really want to sell my cobra for one of these. I would get an auto and go right to twin turbo.

Btw I still have stock half shafts on my car and im making 650rwtq and the car is 11 years old lol.

IamRacerX

Established Member
That rumor is just like the ones about the Trinity showing up in the 2016 SVT car, or it being an EcoBoost V8. Guys pull it out of their ass so they can get people to their sites. AKA, Click Bait.

I would say that rumor was an obviously a ploy by Ford fans to ease the Hellcat excitement... These that I am talking about were in major publications, not Internet sites trying to draw a click....
IMO both Ford and Chevy bit off more than they could chew with weight claims. Just like the next Camaro is going to be lighter... Sure... We'll see.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Glad I am buying a '15 then.

DI isn't for me. ;)

could not agree more. yea its cool for fuel economy and emissions but for performance i'll take port injection any day, just like f1, le mans, etc.. di only works in a small window. sure, its nice to combat detonation but that can be handled in other ways. f1 uses a combination of di and port injection, that seems to be ok - but they just want to take advantage of the huge fuel pressure. w/o the mixing you get from port injection, di by itself just sucks for pure performance.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'll agree to an extent, E85 has an effective Octane of about 160 in DI applications, so its VERY effective. We had a 16 gallon tank in the ms3's, and most cars i could tune to 100% knock prevention (right up to, or past MBT) on only 25% e85 blends (4 gallons per tank, not "technically 25% ethanol, i know). On my own big turbo car that was making probably around 430 at the time, knock limited on 93 to about 380 on a good day, i was able to go all the way down to 2 gallons of E85 per tank before i started seeing small amounts of knock. 1 gallon of e85 per 8 gallons 93 is pretty solid lol, that's about the same effect as some Torco or other octane adders.

That being said, once you run out of fuel, that's it, you're just out unless you add an auxiliary fuel system. It can be done, and we've done it plenty but God what a pain in the ass it is to have to tune the car as well as a stand alone. I agree, DI has its perks, but i'm happy to be working with port injection now.

Users who are viewing this thread