So - my 2015 Auto gained 54lbs.....but

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I know all my questions are probably too early but... Ahaha! Anyways can we put our heads from 11-14 Coyotes onto the new blocks? What makes you sure these blocks will be strong than the 11-14 blocks? As my next build (Turbo ;) will need a stout block and hell if this 15 block is a stronger option and compatible with my current RGR heads then I'd love to use it. DI if it ever makes it into production with our mustangs will be iffy (look at the C7 and how long it's taken them)

1. Yes, your early Coyote heads will bot onto a 2015 block.

2. Because I have see the engineering of the new blocks vs. the earlier ones.

3. If you want the strongest Coyote block you can get (without going to a race shop) look at the upcoming FRPP one.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
1. Yes, your early Coyote heads will bot onto a 2015 block.

2. Because I have see the engineering of the new blocks vs. the earlier ones.

3. If you want the strongest Coyote block you can get (without going to a race shop) look at the upcoming FRPP one.

Thanks, :)

nicksender

Established Member
Will the 2015s come with billet oil pump gears or are they the same version on the current mustang that need replacing for forced induction and high rpm applications?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Kelly, here's a neat one I found that nobody is talking about...

towhook.jpg

BMR Tech

Unfortunately that means the first time the unknowing tow truck driver tows it from the suspension he's going to bend it.

Man, you are full of negativity aren't ya? That's unfortunate!

It isn't an invention by Ford, just being released to the world...it is a suspension style that is used on millions of cars. I doubt the tow truck driver will say "OH, this is a mustang, let's strap it somewhere entirely different than any other IFS/IRS car in the world!"

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Man, you are full of negativity aren't ya? That's unfortunate!

It isn't an invention by Ford, just being released to the world...it is a suspension style that is used on millions of cars. I doubt the tow truck driver will say "OH, this is a mustang, let's strap it somewhere entirely different than any other IFS/IRS car in the world!"

you ever see the rear suspension of a GL folded like a pretzel? I have. You think a tow truck driver is going to know to use a tow hook on a Mustang? Not being negative, being realistic. And I'm not saying tow hooks are a bad thing. But if the car has to be towed, I'd wait with it.

Last edited:

rrg9946

Established Member
you ever see the rear suspension of a GL folded like a pretzel? I have. You think a tow truck driver is going to know to use a tow hook on a Mustang? Not being negative, being realistic. And I'm not saying tow hooks are a bad thing. But if the car has to be towed, I'd wait with it.

Do you approve anything other than what you say or think just curious? And are you some sort of mechanical engineer by chance? And lastly do you do anything but troll people's postings? And generally speaking those tow hooks are designed for track purposes. It makes for easy access point to remove a car off of the track quickly. I have one on my 99 drag car for staging lane movements as well.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Do you approve anything other than what you say or think just curious? And are you some sort of mechanical engineer by chance? And lastly do you do anything but troll people's postings? And generally speaking those tow hooks are designed for track purposes. It makes for easy access point to remove a car off of the track quickly. I have one on my 99 drag car for staging lane movements as well.

The tow hooks are designed to tow cars, not for track purposes although it comes in handy for that. I also see it as a benefit when towing your car on a trailer to and from the track, don't have to climb underneath. Not sure how my words of caution is taken as a negative or disapproval? I work at an MB dealer. MB has used tow hooks for 15 years give or take. I still have cars get messed up when a tow truck driver ties to the suspension to pull on to the flatbed. I clearly state in what you quoted I didn't see it as a bad thing. Maybe you're too defensive???????

To clarify, not a bad thing. Pretty cool from some aspects......just stating you better educate the tow truck driver should you need a tow.

Last edited:

Turbosixx

Established Member
The tow hooks are designed to tow cars, not for track purposes although it comes in handy for that. I also see it as a benefit when towing your car on a trailer to and from the track, don't have to climb underneath. Not sure how my words of caution is taken as a negative or disapproval? I work at an MB dealer. MB has used tow hooks for 15 years give or take. I still have cars get messed up when a tow truck driver ties to the suspension to pull on to the flatbed. I clearly state in what you quoted I didn't see it as a bad thing. Maybe you're too defensive???????
To clarify, not a bad thing. Pretty cool from some aspects......just stating you better educate the tow truck driver should you need a tow.

The resident troll trying to defend his negativity! j/k, lol.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Pics are worth a thousand words....or, in this case, 1000+HP...

10534718_797639886925062_2310131947384003714_n.jpg

good luck getting the stock "Coated" pistons to handle 1,000 hp. I think it's ludicrous that they've put a forged crank in the 11-14, forged rods and a "beefed" up block I guess, this is the 1st i've heard of it, in the '15. Yet haven't fully forged the pistons.

Call me stupid but this cartoon'ish picture doesn't show much detail that jumps out to me as miraculously being an improvement over the existing block itself which multiple people have made 1k hp on, it's when you set your sights on 1200+ that you need to look at sleeving. So if this pictured block is really stronger? and they ship with coated pistons, someone outta be fired for investing money into a block that already had the capability of supporting over 1000 WHP but pistons that melt at 650+

I'm happy you're excited for your new car. personally I can't get into the looks of the '15 base 5.0 maybe the GT350 is a different story, The last mustang that had IRS that made over 350 HP couldn't keep stock half shafts together to save its life. So, until I see otherwise the '15 is a no go for me. Can't wait to actually see numbers & results though!

Last edited:

BMR Tech

good luck getting the stock "Coated" pistons to handle 1,000 hp. I think it's ludicrous that they've put a forged crank in the 11-14, forged rods and a "beefed" up block I guess, this is the 1st i've heard of it, in the '15. Yet haven't fully forged the pistons.

Call me stupid but this cartoon'ish picture doesn't show much detail that jumps out to me as miraculously being an improvement over the existing block itself which multiple people have made 1k hp on, it's when you set your sights on 1200+ that you need to look at sleeving. So if this pictured block is really stronger? and they ship with coated pistons, someone outta be fired for investing money into a block that already had the capability of supporting over 1000 WHP but pistons that melt at 650+

I'm happy you're excited for your new car. personally I can't get into the looks of the '15 base 5.0 maybe the GT350 is a different story, The last mustang that had IRS that made over 350 HP couldn't keep stock half shafts together to save its life. So, until I see otherwise the '15 is a no go for me. Can't wait to actually see numbers & results though!

Many angles, in approaching this post. I will try to make it short and easy.

The block issue, well, we do not necessarily know why they updated it. The OEM doesn't make a part for 1000+HP....with plans of the customers making that much. If they upgraded/dated the block...then for all we know, or don't, there could be something behind the reasoning there. Longevity concerns...warranty repairs affiliated with pistons/rings etc...

Here is a Coyote block, on the right....and an FRPP on the left. As you can see....the coolant passages around the cylinders are much "beefier" on the FRPP Block - and the '15 block appears to be somewhat similar (around the cylinders)...

new-left-old-right-coyote-block1.jpg

As for the IRS comment, it is funny that you say that. Personally, my 115K stock IRS handled this:
Untitled_zps3f2c7c61.jpg

....doing this:
KCobraLaunch_zpsc296dfb1.jpg

Not that I disagree with ya....but I think there is more too it. I deal with an extreme amount of S197 owners, and can tell you - rarely do I get a customer who's car ran the time my above car ran, on their 8.8 without some serious modifications (manual trans cars)

Again, that was a stock 115K mile IRS. Nothing done to it to increase strength or reliability. It did have some very good suspension pieces, and of course I ran a slick at the track / Drag Radial on the street.

To touch on the pistons - I agree 1036%. However, I can understand. I mean, hyper pistons can handle some decent power. From my experiences with a Coyote.....MOST failures on a stock engine are either rod failures, or tune related. My opinion is that, the rods are the weakest part of the engine, followed by the pistons. Rarely do I see a "power" failure with these pistons, it is usually a tuning issue.

I don't think the stock pistons will handle 1000HP reliably. I do think they can make 800rwhp with a good tune, on E85 though. That is what I will be doing, so definitely pay attention to my build thread. ;)

REDS197

Established Member
I have heard of a few coyote blocks letting go at 7-800 hp. The new reinforced block will help hold power to 1000.
I agree the pistons are now the weak point but we are safe to 850ish RWHP with factory parts. That is mid 9's on a full weight daily driver! I cant wait!!

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Many angles, in approaching this post. I will try to make it short and easy.

The block issue, well, we do not necessarily know why they updated it. The OEM doesn't make a part for 1000+HP....with plans of the customers making that much. If they upgraded/dated the block...then for all we know, or don't, there could be something behind the reasoning there. Longevity concerns...warranty repairs affiliated with pistons/rings etc...

Here is a Coyote block, on the right....and an FRPP on the left. As you can see....the coolant passages around the cylinders are much "beefier" on the FRPP Block - and the '15 block appears to be somewhat similar (around the cylinders)...

new-left-old-right-coyote-block1.jpg

As for the IRS comment, it is funny that you say that. Personally, my 115K stock IRS handled this:
Untitled_zps3f2c7c61.jpg

....doing this:
KCobraLaunch_zpsc296dfb1.jpg

Not that I disagree with ya....but I think there is more too it. I deal with an extreme amount of S197 owners, and can tell you - rarely do I get a customer who's car ran the time my above car ran, on their 8.8 without some serious modifications (manual trans cars)

Again, that was a stock 115K mile IRS. Nothing done to it to increase strength or reliability. It did have some very good suspension pieces, and of course I ran a slick at the track / Drag Radial on the street.

To touch on the pistons - I agree 1036%. However, I can understand. I mean, hyper pistons can handle some decent power. From my experiences with a Coyote.....MOST failures on a stock engine are either rod failures, or tune related. My opinion is that, the rods are the weakest part of the engine, followed by the pistons. Rarely do I see a "power" failure with these pistons, it is usually a tuning issue.

I don't think the stock pistons will handle 1000HP reliably. I do think they can make 800rwhp with a good tune, on E85 though. That is what I will be doing, so definitely pay attention to my build thread. ;)

I'd say you were very lucky with your Terminator to make that kind of power launching at the strip. Back when I had my 03 which no doubt was a lemon, I had half shafts replaced 3 times. Most of the cars life was spent on the street with 555r's, maybe I was too rough on it. I'll tell you this, my current car is making close to the same power if not more, and is beat on harder it currently has 12k miles. The time my 03 had 9k, it had 2 tranny's, 1 diff, 4 sets of halfshafts, and a new long block. So.... perhaps I'm biased.

I'll certainly follow your build, I just think a block upgrade wasn't as high as a priority as they made it :/ Look forward to your build :)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have heard of a few coyote blocks letting go at 7-800 hp. The new reinforced block will help hold power to 1000.
I agree the pistons are now the weak point but we are safe to 850ish RWHP with factory parts. That is mid 9's on a full weight daily driver! I cant wait!!

I'd say that the meatware will be the weak link.

Users who are viewing this thread