So what can the police do to you if your caught at speeds upwards of 140 mph?

boost4me

Banned
I think you and I are about in the same stage of life. I was the typical alpha male at one time and would probably have been arguing on the other side then. I now have two daughters that my world would be lost without. The thought of losing one of them due to some moron running so they don't get a speeding ticket infuriates me.

I totally understand that they are just doing their job, but I think LEO's are just exacerbating the situation and putting the general public at greater risk by pursuing. Just doesn't make any sense - why would you put yourself (the LEO) and the public at greater risk over a misdemeanor traffic violation?

We've all seen those shows with high speed chases and where they end up hitting an innocent by stander trying to get away.

If a suspect was attempting to elude and ended up hitting my family during a high speed chase, I would be just as infuriated with the police as the suspect. In my mind both are equally at fault for the incident.

N20D5OH

Established Member
I totally understand that they are just doing their job, but I think LEO's are just exacerbating the situation and putting the general public at greater risk by pursuing. Just doesn't make any sense - why would you put yourself (the LEO) and the public at greater risk over a misdemeanor traffic violation?

We've all seen those shows with high speed chases and where they end up hitting an innocent by stander trying to get away.

If a suspect was attempting to elude and ended up hitting my family during a high speed chase, I would be just as infuriated with the police as the suspect. In my mind both are equally at fault for the incident.

We have a no chase policy here as stated by others. The only time you can pursue is if it's a violent crime. We can go back and forth all day but in the end it's initiated by someone committing a crime and not wanting to take the heat. What if the officer had no intention of chasing but someone ran because they thought he was and wound up hurting your family? Listen, I'm no saint, I just know now that I have a family my opinion is vastly different.

I have friends that are LEO's but will agree, some take things a little to far. I got a tint ticket two months ago and the guy nearly took out two other cars to pull me over for tint.

boost4me

Banned
We have a no chase policy here as stated by others. The only time you can pursue is if it's a violent crime. We can go back and forth all day but in the end it's initiated by someone committing a crime and not wanting to take the heat. What if the officer had no intention of chasing but someone ran because they thought he was and wound up hurting your family? Listen, I'm no saint, I just know now that I have a family my opinion is vastly different.

I have friends that are LEO's but will agree, some take things a little to far. I got a tint ticket two months ago and the guy nearly took out two other cars to pull me over for tint.

Yep I hear you. Its that "cowboy" LEO mentality where they just get tunnel visioned like my Jack Russell terrier does chasing a squirrel across the street... she doesn't realize there are other dangers in the moment of the chase because all the mental energy is focused on catching the stupid squirrel.

boost4me

Banned
Ya cause every cops and angel...

Yeah I mean not all of them are like this, but I've met some pretty shady LEO's in my time. Some are very cool, level headed professional people doing a great job. But there are unfortunately many that took a job in law enforcement simply because they couldn't do anything else with their life except pump iron at a gym. Its sort of the career of last resort for healthy people without a criminal free record such as athletes that didn't make it, ex enlisted military... its sad. The feds fortunately have much higher standards, 4 year degree, aptitude skills. Not that they are that much better, but at least the standards are higher. A good example is a person I grew up with not a friend, but we were in the same graduating class, nothing but a stupid arrogant jock... my parents were friends with his parents, but I couldn't stand him.

He went on after highschool and stuff to play in the minor leagues and actually played one game for the Yankees and got hurt, went back to the minors. He was a good player, but after spending nearly 12 years or so screwing around in the minors he realized he would never make it pro and guess what he's doing now? He has no education, no skills (except baseball). I could be wrong, but it just seems like a common theme amongst the LEO's I have met and know. Don't get me wrong some are great mature people, but...

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Depends. I believe here in Florida if you're doubling the speed limit you go straight to jail.

According to my retired LEO relative (Miami), anything 20mph over the speed limit can land you in jail if the LEO so decides

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread