So what can the police do to you if your caught at speeds upwards of 140 mph?

mtrsprt

Established Member
In MOST states, there's not arrest LAW for speeding in general. It's mostly up to the LEO's discretion whether or not to bring you in. I have also never seen a FELONY charge be imposed for a speeding violation, unless bodily harm, and/or alcohol was involved. Speeding is a very relative term. It can be 10mph over, or 80mph over. It's still speeding. Traffic/weather conditions etc, play a large role in how the LEO wants to handle the situation.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Could go many ways depending on state and if the cop wants to ruin any question of you getting those mods, or if he wants to ruin you for the next 5 years or even worse, explain a felony on a job application.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
We were talking about cars. Bikes are a whole different animal.

not really.. not when your talking cars that are capable of 0-60 in under 4.5 sec (sure a bike will do it in under 3 sec) but all in all, they aren't that much faster, not when your talking top end speeds.

I would say 90% of the cars on this website and that are respectable in general are more than capable of 160-170mph. You're confusing how quick a bike can do it, but it's all relative.

see above...

All of you people that are going to run remember this, if anything happens to the LEO trying to catch you, they will be coming after you for it. And if you think a citizen or license plate reader in the area didnt see you flying down the interstate and either get your plate, or even watch where you went, ie your house, you may have another coming. Chances of all above happening may be slim, but I wouldnt take my chances.

have you EVER seen a car pass you at 100+ mph faster than your going, in the same direction? I have and unless your expecting it, your average person isn't going to catch the license plate.

as far as out running the radio, sure if you keep going on the same road, your STUPID, but if you get out of sight and then get OFF the road you were on and start doing some random roads, they aren't going to catch you (at least they aren't going to catch you at that time)

N20D5OH

Established Member
not really.. not when your talking cars that are capable of 0-60 in under 4.5 sec (sure a bike will do it in under 3 sec) but all in all, they aren't that much faster, not when your talking top end speeds.

see above...

have you EVER seen a car pass you at 100+ mph faster than your going, in the same direction? I have and unless your expecting it, your average person isn't going to catch the license plate.

as far as out running the radio, sure if you keep going on the same road, your STUPID, but if you get out of sight and then get OFF the road you were on and start doing some random roads, they aren't going to catch you (at least they aren't going to catch you at that time)

Darwin will win.....

Morons are everywhere.

blackvette101

Established Member
In the city I live in their is a no chase policy unless it's a violent crime because a few officers ended up killing themselves and a few old people that tend to drive 15 mph under the limit. Crown vic's don't handle/brake so good at 100+ mph. Anyways I always wondered what would happen if they chased/caught somebody in violation of that policy? Would the charge still be valid? the policy was forced onto the police department by a ballot referendum it wasn't by choice if that matters.

Last edited:

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
I got pulled over in Nevada doing 110 in 70. Cop was pretty cool. He wrote me for 90 in a 70. $350 bucks. It would have been $850 for the 110 ticket. I even told him I was going 135 earlier but my cruise would only work up to 110. He just shook his head... I was in the middle of the desert which made it a little better...

NitrousExpress

Established Member
I got caught, not only speeding, but drag racing. We were clocked doing 78 in a 45 on a access road off the side of a highway. I was scared s***less to say the least. Was a state trooper, and he said "you know I can take you to jail right?". Thank god he caught us slowing down, we were doing 100+. Was racing my friends 750cc bike, spray and slicks. Literally the scariest moment of my life, I didn't go to jail, paid a 300$ ticket and now its on my record. I should have gotten a lawyer because now I have a class B misdemeanor on my record. Lesson learned. If I get caught doing it again, I go to prison, and it is a felony charge. What is ironic is the prison is in view, right next to the drag strip. :)

The cop proceeded to tell us how he can relate to us because his brother was racing a camaro on a bike, and his brother and the camaro hit, now his brother is brain dead. My buddy said "well he shouldn't have been racing a camaro..". That didn't turn out well for him.

It was overall a crappy situation, and totally not worth it. I have no room for mess ups anymore, at all, and I'm lucky I didn't go to jail.

Oh, and have you seen what they do to cars that are impounded?
treystruck_zps5adfdc9f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

-Garrett

Last edited:

SINISTRR

Established Member
Wow...we've all done stupid shit but there IS a lot of stupid on this thread.

Leave all this shit off the streets...take it to the track. I don't care if you drag it or road course it.

I don't give a fak if you kill yourself but I do have a problem if you kill someone innocent. At the end of the day, I'm going home. A fatal is just a report to me, a couple of hours out my shift.

But one thing you should remember is, even though you're dead, I'm the one who has to go tell your spouse, sibling, parent and/or child that you're dead. I'm the one that has to hold them up as they collapse in my arms.

All I'm saying is think of your actions and how it could impact others.

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
Wow...we've all done stupid shit but there IS a lot of stupid on this thread.

Leave all this shit off the streets...take it to the track. I don't care if you drag it or road course it.

I don't give a fak if you kill yourself but I do have a problem if you kill someone innocent. At the end of the day, I'm going home. A fatal is just a report to me, a couple of hours out my shift.

But one thing you should remember is, even though you're dead, I'm the one who has to go tell your spouse, sibling, parent and/or child that you're dead. I'm the one that has to hold them up as they collapse in my arms.

All I'm saying is think of your actions and how it could impact others.

I was a Registered Nurse in the ICU and the Emergency room for a long time. I am currently a Flight Nurse and stupidity keeps us in business. Probably 50% of our MVCs are due to alcohol, drugs, or speed. The people that usually walk away are the ones under the influence. People turn into gumby... It is the innocent people that we not doing anything wrong and wrecked under speed limit and belted that usually get really hurt. I had a 18 yo male that was going over 100mph and ejected. He had an abrasion on his shoulder.. that's it. It is crazy how the human body works... I love speed. Always have. I'm just a little smarter these days when I get on it...

boost4me

Banned
In the city I live in their is a no chase policy unless it's a violent crime because a few officers ended up killing themselves and a few old people that tend to drive 15 mph under the limit.

This is the way it should be everywhere... pursuing people on a high speed chase for a misdemeanor should be banned, its not worth the risk you put the rest of the public in, not to mention the cowboy doing the chasing.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
It's definitely stupid to run from the cops, but considering what will happen if you stop anyway... I'll take my chances, theoretically speaking.

I don't participate in high speed competitions anymore though. My next ticket will probably be for going way too fast in a corner, if there's such an infraction.

Now if I were in my Cobra or on my bike, see ya!

Careless or reckless driving.

Buddy of mine was riding his zx6r going 130+ in a 55 late at night on a empty road, and he noticed a sheriff going the opposite turn around and turn on his lights. He pulled over, on a road where you could probably get away in that situation. He was placed in handcuffs and sat on the side of the road while the sheriff was giving him shit.
Ended up getting a speeding ticket and the sheriff was nice enough to not have his bike towed and followed him home.

fastashell

Banned
I don't see what is so dumb about this post? They sell these cars from the factory with a limiter at 155 mph or so, then they want to throw you in jail when you do it. They throw drunk people in jail when they drive. I have the solution, outlaw beer, and make it a law that cars can't go over 80, and be done with it.

N20D5OH

Established Member
I don't see what is so dumb about this post? They sell these cars from the factory with a limiter at 155 mph or so, then they want to throw you in jail when you do it. They throw drunk people in jail when they drive. I have the solution, outlaw beer, and make it a law that cars can't go over 80, and be done with it.

Seriously? Let's just bring communism in too.

svtnotch

Established Member
You can't outrun the radio....

yes you can. what you cant outrun is the helicopter. good news here in cleveland they cant afford to keep it in the air. i have never stopped on my bike but never attempted in my car. those days are long behind me now.

N20D5OH

Established Member
yes you can. what you cant outrun is the helicopter. good news here in cleveland they cant afford to keep it in the air. i have never stopped on my bike but never attempted in my car. those days are long behind me now.

Luckily you aren't a statistic. Here in the land of snowbirds, just riding a bike is a gamble, let alone running from the police because of something dumb.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Luckily you aren't a statistic. Here in the land of snowbirds, just riding a bike is a gamble, let alone running from the police because of something dumb.

Just riding a bike is always a gamble, no matter where you're at. But with enough experience and a little bit of luck...

Like I said. I honestly don't condone running. BUT, if I were going stupid fast in the first place then bye bye. The thing with me is, though, you won't see me going stupid fast on public roadways anymore. I learned my lesson when I was younger. :beer:

N20D5OH

Established Member
Just riding a bike is always a gamble, no matter where you're at. But with enough experience and a little bit of luck...

Like I said. I honestly don't condone running. BUT, if I were going stupid fast in the first place then bye bye. The thing with me is, though, you won't see me going stupid fast on public roadways anymore. I learned my lesson when I was younger. :beer:

I think you and I are about in the same stage of life. I was the typical alpha male at one time and would probably have been arguing on the other side then. I now have two daughters that my world would be lost without. The thought of losing one of them due to some moron running so they don't get a speeding ticket infuriates me.

Users who are viewing this thread