So what can the police do to you if your caught at speeds upwards of 140 mph?

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Depends. I believe here in Florida if you're doubling the speed limit you go straight to jail.

My experience has been be calm and polite and all will be ok. Doubling the speed limit only gets you thrown in jail if your a ass to the cop cause at the end of the day its up to them what happens. The worst thing about doing 150+ on public streets is listening to the cops freak and melt down for 5 minutes until they catch there composure, chew you out for a few more minutes and then let you go all in all its a 15-30 minute ordeal.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
All of you people that are going to run remember this, if anything happens to the LEO trying to catch you, they will be coming after you for it. And if you think a citizen or license plate reader in the area didnt see you flying down the interstate and either get your plate, or even watch where you went, ie your house, you may have another coming. Chances of all above happening may be slim, but I wouldn't take my chances.

First you have to be proven to be the person in the car at the time of the chase which isn't too hard to step around with window tint / a mask.

BREMBO12

Established Member
When i want to do a wide open run i pick my time and my spots even inspecting areas before i do it. I know that doesn't garantee anything, but its better to careful then to just do it! I figure it takes my car about 13 seconds to get to 140 and another 5 seconds to slow down to about 70, so im talking about roughly 20 seconds to do it and get back to normal speeds!

your thinking is ingenious...... :)

I grew up tearing up the Autobahn at 18 near Hahn AB, Germany...the American attitude that every moron gets a drivers license to get in your way and the exorbitant actions of our criminal justice enterprised rigged police state fiasco is just that. my 02...... :bash:

Last edited:

GCubersoldat

Established Member
I got caught doing 80 in a 35 once...I was 16 and the police literally planted weed in my car to scare the shit out of me. Almost went to jail but I was given a court date for a month later.

Went to court and saw the judge. It was my first traffic violation ever and he asked me if I was sorry. I said yes and he told me to have a blessed day. Never forgot that judge....

TERMINATED97

Established Member
I got 127 in a 45 about five years ago. Was arrested and got a $900.00 court fine, plus $600.00 to my lawyer. Received court supervision for two years I believe it was.

Steve@Tasca

Minnesota anything over 100mph is an automatic one year license suspension, I'm sure there's more penalties involved but that's the main one that gets my attention.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
4 years ago I was caught doing 102 in a 35. It was an Indiana state trooper who saw me and he was going the opposite direction of me. He had to do a 3 point turn in the highway to turn around, and when he finally got to me I had been sitting stopped for a good 30 seconds waiting for him. He was, to say the least, unbeliavably pissed off and I don't blame him. A 19 year old kid doing 100+ in a dodge neon coming out of a town is a very incredibly stupid move. I was respectful and honest with him and apologized for my stupidity, which at that point is already a given. He ended up only writing me a speeding ticket. Which my lawyer got reduced down to 4 points and a fine I cant remember.

Looking back on it now, I knew the highway extremely well. It was dusk, I had a huge headstart and lets face it there are a shit ton of silver neons running around that look like an SRT-4 (my previous one, not current). But running was not something that I ever considered. No matter what your chances are of avoiding them are you should never put your own or other peoples lives in danger to that degree. I understand it's a bit of a fine line between us getting on our cars because that is still dangerous. But running from the police is just something I hope everyone would be smarter than to do.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
I would not run in a dodge neon either. lol

+1 :lol:

One of the reasons I didn't run when I got my 120 in a 55 ticket was because I was in a '97 GT (with just bolt-ons). Ain't no way I'm putting that up against a Dodge Charger that can likely do 140-160 if need be. No thanks!

Now if I were in my Cobra or on my bike, see ya! :burnout:

b00sted4v

Established Member
depends on your past driving record. If have 2-3 other charges of driving reckless could loe license for 4 year minimum

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'm all for stopping and not being someone hard to get along with when it comes to law enforcement (I stopped after getting clocked at 120mph in a 55mph zone afterall), but there comes a point of speed where no matter what my chances of getting away are I'm gonna try to run. I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flak for this lol...

But seriously. If I'm being dumb enough to do 100+ and get clocked doing it, I'm NOT going to be dumb enough to stop. Now there's circumstances to be considered. Is it day or night? Does he have to turn around? You obviously don't wanna be the guy in a bright yellow Mustang with black wheels blowing by a state in the fast lane during the middle of the day.

Way too obvious that you are new to bikes and you haven't been riding long. Sadly, I have a good feeling that you are going to end up a grease spot on the road.

May want to focus on not dumping the bike in parking lots before you consider outrunning police. :nonono:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Way too obvious that you are new to bikes and you haven't been riding long. Sadly, I have a good feeling that you are going to end up a grease spot on the road.

May want to focus on not dumping the bike in parking lots before you consider outrunning police. :nonono:

You just won't let that go will you? :bored: I'm sure you've NEVER made a mistake, be it on two wheels or four, have you? :rollseyes

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
Traffic offenses are arrestable misdemeanors in Texas.

Everything other than speeding and open container. However the speeds the OP is talking about is easily considered reckless driving in Texas. To the OP it is all going to depend on the officer and situation. in Texas something like that can get you reckless driving which can get you up to 30 days in jail and/or up to a $200 fine. This is assuming your not racing because that is a whole nother offense. Now all you people talking about running, in Texas evading in a vehicle is a Felony punishable by at least 180 days in jail up to two years, and a fine up to $10,000. Thats if NOBODY gets hurt. If ANYONE is injured due to you evading then it gets bumped up to a 2nd degree Felony. Now think about that next time you decide to see if you can get away. If you just pull over when the cop tries to pull you over you MIGHT get a fine of $200 and have to go to jail. If you run and get caught you WILL go to jail for at least 180 days and have a fine of up to $10,000. Once again all this is Texas not sure about any other state.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Here in Va. Expect to go to jail on the spot and car impounded. I know 20 + the posted speed is reckless and anything over 80 since the speed limit is 70 a few areas. Haven't kept current with the laws ( stopped doing dumb stuff to need to care ) but at one time anything over 100 carried a totally separate charge.

Use to sit in court on slow days at work and listen to judge Harvell recite the tickets and statues that covered them. Everyone that cleared a 100 was given 90 days in jail and some state restitution fine he would say. Even with lawyers pleading , once the method to clocking them was established accurate to jail you went. Oh and mandatory 1 year suspension with SR22 to follow.

Last edited:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Sure, depends where you're at. You aren't getting away from anyone where I live. Maybe, just maybe, on a bike. I have plenty of friends that are LEO, it is a rarity to get away with it. You might make it home, but they'll find you. It's stupid to possibly throw your life away over speeding.

Pretty much.

Running from the cops is pretty much assured prison time if you get caught. Versus a nasty speeding ticket which at the officer's discretion, you may not even see jail.

Which is preferable?

Users who are viewing this thread