Solar panels

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hey all, figured I'd get some input on solar panels from people who have had them installed or even those who declined. Everlight Solar showed up the other night and the salesman was nice enough but didn't have all the answers we need. Tuesday night the "Senior Energy Consultant" is coming by and apparently my wife has to be present as they have run into issues with divorcing couples wanting different things.

Anyway, they say it's nothing out of pocket but I didn't think at the time to think what the monthly payment is assuming there is one. I know there can be a possibility of getting money back from the utility company but I can't imagine that covers any monthly payment (I HATE monthly payments for anything).

They have a good sales pitch but I definitely am wary of the idea of "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" mentality.

The other thing is that we don't have a ton of southern facing roof. Below is a screen grab of our roof, down is south of course.

aerial house.JPG

Is this even something I should consider? 90 minutes on a Tuesday night for a sales pitch I shouldn't even consider is a fairly big waste of time IMO.

Thanks all.

tistan

Established Member
It will come down to what they calculate you can generate. If it makes financial sense then there is no reason not to do it. Only reason I haven't done it yet is I would need to replace my 12 year old roof and I'm waiting for hail storm to help me with that.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you ever plan to move they cause a big headache - what if the next buyer doesn't wanna make the payments?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Solar is a fickle bitch. Where do you live? Is there a lot of days of sun? Whatever numbers they give you, you can probably cut in half.

I have solar on my 5th wheel and used that for a year while building our house. Needless to say, we ran the generator a lot. Panels will be rated for so many watts. You'll get 80% of that and that will drop after the first year or so. About the time it starts paying off, you'll have to start replacing batteries, panels etc.

It can work, in the right conditions and situation, but I wouldn't count on huge savings.

sleek98

Established Member
I have panels. The math doesn’t work out if you are paying interest (financing) or leasing the panels.

I am in year 4 of our panels and almost 1/2 way paid off with the savings, I’ve been tracking my usage every month and figuring what my bill would have been.

They are not a positive for every house. I have a ton of south facing roof with zero shade issues. I ended up oversizing my system by using up the rest of my shop roof. Looking back I could have cut out a year or so in my payback period by going slightly smaller. Look into your states net metering that is also a big factor if it would payoff in a decent time.

If you are serious about getting them, get 4 or so quotes. There was a huge gap when we got ours. From 2.50 a watt to 4.35 a watt.

MG0h3

Established Member
I can’t think of any product that is sold door to door that isn’t a ripoff or royal pain in the ass.

Alarm systems
Mormons
That Ponzi scheme where you buy your food from a magazine

And now we have solar panels…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Damn! A lot of haters in here. Look up the wages of solar installers compared to other trades. It's booming right now. The project I'm doing just had a 19k solar array installed. Crew of 4 show up at 10am unload a skidsteer and 14- 5foot ground screws. Then they lay out screw locations. Then take lunch for an hour. It's now 1pm. They start installing ground screws with a post hole digger attachment. 8 screws in one 6 screws in the other array. Trunk shows up with a small load of 3" EMT. They cut and erected main frame structures in 4 hours with trench to service panel 150 away. Next day they install panels and Inverters. Third day they pull wire and hook up.
The owner is in his early 30's and the installers were late 20' early 30's and didn't work more the 5 hours a day. They company is booked out for a year and a half. $57,000 cost, costumer gets a 30 percent credit from the Feds. To my calculations the solar company is netting conservatively 23k per installation. Not bad for 60 - 70 total man hours.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Hey all, figured I'd get some input on solar panels from people who have had them installed or even those who declined. Everlight Solar showed up the other night and the salesman was nice enough but didn't have all the answers we need. Tuesday night the "Senior Energy Consultant" is coming by and apparently my wife has to be present as they have run into issues with divorcing couples wanting different things.

Anyway, they say it's nothing out of pocket but I didn't think at the time to think what the monthly payment is assuming there is one. I know there can be a possibility of getting money back from the utility company but I can't imagine that covers any monthly payment (I HATE monthly payments for anything).

They have a good sales pitch but I definitely am wary of the idea of "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" mentality.

The other thing is that we don't have a ton of southern facing roof. Below is a screen grab of our roof, down is south of course.

View attachment 1793678

Is this even something I should consider? 90 minutes on a Tuesday night for a sales pitch I shouldn't even consider is a fairly big waste of time IMO.

Thanks all.

Solar panels look like absolute shit on a house (cuck neighbor has them), are not efficient long term, and destroy the envirnoment.
Instead of this thread, spend your time writing local power and political officials to invest in nuclear.

Damn! A lot of haters in here. Look up the wages of solar installers compared to other trades. It's booming right now. The project I'm doing just had a 19k solar array installed. Crew of 4 show up at 10am unload a skidsteer and 14- 5foot ground screws. Then they lay out screw locations. Then take lunch for an hour. It's now 1pm. They start installing ground screws with a post hole digger attachment. 8 screws in one 6 screws in the other array. Trunk shows up with a small load of 3" EMT. They cut and erected main frame structures in 4 hours with trench to service panel 150 away. Next day they install panels and Inverters. Third day they pull wire and hook up.
The owner is in his early 30's and the installers were late 20' early 30's and didn't work more the 5 hours a day. They company is booked out for a year and a half. $57,000 cost, costumer gets a 30 percent credit from the Feds. To my calculations the solar company is netting conservatively 23k per installation. Not bad for 60 - 70 total man hours.

You spelled "make chynese rich, destroy America" incorrectly.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

View attachment 1793678

Thanks all.
You will never recoup the costs of the "Solar Mortgage" against your energy bill.. Maintenance and replacement costs I don't believe are factored into the sales pitch either.

Also, something else to think about... As I have been shopping for houses lately, one of the first red flags is Solar Panels as I know I'm going to have to pick up the 2nd mortgage for that gay shit and I usually move on unless i see a house that's just too good to pass up.

Yes you will see a substantial drop in your energy bill.
No it's not financially practical in the long term.

MG0h3

Established Member

Great.

Gov funded power.

Same as welfare. Congrats.

Without the Fed welfare, this shit is garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Instead of this thread, spend your time writing local power and political officials to invest in nuclear.
Nothing better than a power plant sitting right in your backyard that can irradiate half the globe when something ****s up..

Unless of course were talking Molten Salt Thorium Reactors... Which the government doesnt want.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nothing better than a power plant sitting right in your backyard that can irradiate half the globe when something ****s up..

Unless of course were talking Molten Salt Thorium Reactors... Which the government doesnt want.
You will find electric isn't bad here at all. Unless your trying to keep a older home cold as heck in the summer. My bill is very cheap as far as I'm concerned, but I've gone out of my way to make it like that.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

And your solution is? I know it's not wind turbines.

As long as I brought them up... What a god-awful site on the horizon as you travel through our beautiful Republic.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
And your solution is? I know it's not wind turbines.

As long as I brought them up... What a god-awful site on the horizon as you travel through our beautiful Republic.
It's funny you mention that, we've had I think 12 mysterious whale deaths so far this year already and CNN is sooooooo quick to come out with an article refuting the possibility it could be the wind turbines they live near. Our local journalists aren't buying that shit.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I can’t think of any product that is sold door to door that isn’t a ripoff or royal pain in the ass.

Alarm systems
Mormons
That Ponzi scheme where you buy your food from a magazine

And now we have solar panels…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I ****ing loled at Mormons

Users who are viewing this thread