Sold the cobra and bought this

WTBMach1

Established Member
I was tired of wasting money on my cobra. It was a huge money pit. these trucks run awesome with a cam and 6.0. I know a guy running high 11's all motor with just a cam and 6.0 and another guy running 11.4's with heads.

BS, he is not running 11s with just a cam and a 6.0

97/4.6w/fangs

NA FTW
Established Member
that cam is HUGE for a 5.3. I wouldn't even bother putting that cam in the 5.3 it's going to be a bitch to tune. I had a 224/224 110 in my 5.3 when I had a reg cab silvy and it was a bitch to tune.

and 11s on motor is fully possible with full bolt ons, a big cam, a big stall, a badass tune and lots and lots of traction

11s aren't as easy as just dropping in a 6.0, throwing in a cam and calling it a day.

I would go a MINIMUM of 3400 on the stall if your sticking with a cam that big

97/4.6w/fangs

NA FTW
Established Member
BTW some of you guys don't know much about GM trucks with LS based motors do you? You know that the record for NA 5.3 reg cab is 12.4x? Heads/cam/intake/full bolt ons/gears/stall and a badass tune obviously. As far as I know there wasn't much weight reduction either.

12s are easily capable in these trucks and with a 6.0 swap 11s aren't far out of reach either in a reg cab but traction is everyones biggest fight. They can put 400 to the wheels easily with a cam and full bolt ons.

apex632

Established Member
that cam is HUGE for a 5.3. I wouldn't even bother putting that cam in the 5.3 it's going to be a bitch to tune. I had a 224/224 110 in my 5.3 when I had a reg cab silvy and it was a bitch to tune.

and 11s on motor is fully possible with full bolt ons, a big cam, a big stall, a badass tune and lots and lots of traction

11s aren't as easy as just dropping in a 6.0, throwing in a cam and calling it a day.

I would go a MINIMUM of 3400 on the stall if your sticking with a cam that big

Unless some of those bolt-ons include putting on all the good ls1 stuff such as a fast intake and throttle body I don't see a full bolt-on cam truck doing any better then 13's especially with a 5.3L. Ur talking maybe 230ish to the ground stock, full bolt-ons and a cam will net ya what a full bolt-on ls1 vette or camaro has. And they don't do 11's full bolt-ons unless they have some weight reduction and a BIG stall.

WTBMach1

Established Member
Unless some of those bolt-ons include putting on all the good ls1 stuff such as a fast intake and throttle body I don't see a full bolt-on cam truck doing any better then 13's especially with a 5.3L. Ur talking maybe 230ish to the ground stock, full bolt-ons and a cam will net ya what a full bolt-on ls1 vette or camaro has. And they don't do 11's full bolt-ons unless they have some weight reduction and a BIG stall.

5.3s put 230 to the ground stock

The new 5.3s which I have put 255 to the ground STOCK

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
holy cow! i can't believe you would ever want any car besides a mustang! how on earth are you doing to survive not owning a mustang? you sold a MUSTANG to buy some truck? c'mon man, you had a MUStang! the holy grail of automotive performance! You can't make a truck fast. trucks are slow. and ugly. and can never be made cool. not like a mustang. mustangs are cool. you should sell this truck and buy another mustang. you'll never be happy unless you have a mustang. I would suggest we ban you from this world of mustangs, but i think the shame of not owning a mustang should be enough.

MUSTANG

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with the truck and dont sweat the morons who love to scream COBRA.

2002c5coupe

Established Member

you need to go to HRP one day...there are several 5.3's NA running 12s (not 12.9999 either)

yes, there are 11 second NA 6L's too. what is a BIG stall BTW?

FWIW my DD is a 6L RCSB that has bolt ons and a 100 shot.

go troll around on performancetrucks.net and maybe you'll learn about something besides mustangs

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Damnit I'm kicking myself right now. I passed up an 04 RCSB GMC Stepside with the 5.3 and gears because I "thought" I needed a Crew Cab. Nice truck man.

97/4.6w/fangs

NA FTW
Established Member
do you need proof? Timeslips? Videos? Name it and I can pull it up. There are tons of NA 5.3 reg cabs running mid to high 12s right now. It's not as difficult as you think. Shit I know of a few that are putting almost 400 to the wheels!

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
I had atleast 20k in the cobra already including broken parts. I can get a 6.0 cheap for around 800 dollars. I've had alot of sports cars before; Fox bodies, SN95's New Edge's, a Z06, F Bodies, and i've driven GTo's (LS2's), Vipers, etc. I just wanted something different. I cant tow a boat or jet ski's with the cobra. Im not bashing i love mustangs, I thought it was time for a change. I was thinking about getting a Lightning but my sister has one and i think they waste too much gas. IMO im happy with my truck.

and this truck is any better?? :??:

2002c5coupe

Established Member
and this truck is any better?? :??:

actually my truck (6.0L RCSB) and my buddies pullied 99 lightning run almost identical 1/4 ETs (that's w/o nitrous too). his truck gets 10mpg and mine gets 16mpg.

we both have 4.10s and i have a 3200 stall converter

so yes they are better

apex632

Established Member
you need to go to HRP one day...there are several 5.3's NA running 12s (not 12.9999 either)

yes, there are 11 second NA 6L's too. what is a BIG stall BTW?

FWIW my DD is a 6L RCSB that has bolt ons and a 100 shot.

go troll around on performancetrucks.net and maybe you'll learn about something besides mustangs

LOL I don't own a mustang. And I've been to HRP plenty. But I still never see CAM ONLY chevy trucks running 11's bro. Seen stroker motor, sprayed, and/or boosted motors did it plenty of times. So I've been around the block. Almost bought an 03 regular cab a few years back that had a built lq9 with a 150shot on it. Was an awesome truck, ran bottom 11's very consistently, and hooked up well on the street on top of that.

Users who are viewing this thread