soldier rapes woman/kills her and family

97BlackCobra

This truly bothers me and makes me sick to my stomach....I am a big supporter of our armed forces, so I hope im not lableled a terrorist or a traitor. If we keep hearing about murders and rapes commited by our servicemen, I feel that it will undermine the good name of our armed forces. And no matter how many good things are accomplished, things like this will overshadow them.

Absolutely horrible......

By TIM WHITMIRE, Associated Press Writer
3 minutes ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Federal prosecutors accused a former U.S. soldier Monday of raping and murdering a young Iraqi woman and gunning down her family, all of whose bodies were found burned in an apparent coverup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Steven D. Green, a 21-year-old former Army private first class who was recently discharged because of a "personality disorder," appeared in a federal magistrate's courtroom in Charlotte Monday.

The murder and rape charges against him grew out of a military investigation involving up to five soldiers in the March rape and killing of the woman in Mahmoudiya and three of her relatives, one of them a young girl believed to be about 5 years old.

Prosecutors said Green and others entered the home of a family of Iraqi civilians, where Green shot the three relatives, and he and another soldier raped the woman and killed her. According to an accompanying affidavit, photos taken by Army investigators in March showed a burned body of "what appears to be a woman with blankets thrown over her upper torso."

FBI agents arrested Green on Friday in Marion, N.C. He is being held in Charlotte without bond pending a transfer to Louisville, Ky.

The case is being handled by federal prosecutors there because Green, who served 11 months with the 101st Airborne Division, based at Fort Campbell, Ky., is no longer in the military. According to an affidavit filed with the criminal complaint, he was given an honorable discharge "before this incident came to light. Green was discharged due to a personality disorder."

He faces a possible death sentence if convicted of murder.

In Baghdad, a U.S. military spokesman, Maj. Joseph Breasseale, said "at this time" no other charges have been filed in the Mahmoudiya case.

The affidavit filed in Green's case by FBI special agent Gregor J. Ahlers of Louisville said Green and three other soldiers from the 101st's 502nd Infantry Regiment were working a traffic checkpoint in Mahmoudiya on March 12 when they conspired to rape a woman, who investigators estimated was 25 years old, who lived nearby.

According to the affidavit's account, the soldiers changed their clothes before going to the woman's residence to avoid detection. Once there, the affidavit said, Green took three members of the family — an adult male and female, and a girl estimated to be 5 years old — into a bedroom, after which shots were heard from inside.

"Green came to the bedroom door and told everyone, 'I just killed them. All are dead,'" the affidavit said.

The affidavit is based on interviews conducted by the FBI and investigators at Fort Campbell with three unidentified soldiers assigned to Green's platoon. One of the soldiers said he witnessed another soldier and Green rape the woman.

"After the rape, (the soldier) witnessed Green shoot the woman in the head two to three times," the affidavit said.

Ahlers said in the affidavit that he also reviewed photos taken by Army investigators in Iraq of bodies found inside a burned house, including photos of an Iraqi man, woman and young girl who all appear to have died of gunshot wounds. He said he also reviewed a photo of a burned body of "what appears to be a woman with blankets thrown over her upper torso."

An official familiar with details of the investigation in Iraq has told The Associated Press that a flammable liquid was used to burn the rape victim's body in a cover-up attempt. U.S. officials have said they believed the victims were killed in sectarian violence.

On Friday, the U.S. military acknowledged that Maj. Gen. James D. Thurman, commander of the 4th Infantry Division, had ordered a criminal investigation into the alleged slaying of a family in Mahmoudiya.

Four members of the 502nd have had their weapons taken away and were confined to a U.S. base near Mahmoudiya, officials said.

The suspects belong to the same unit as two soldiers kidnapped and killed south of Baghdad last month, a military official said on condition of anonymity because the case was under way.

The military has said that one and possibly both of the slain soldiers were tortured and beheaded. The official said the mutilation of the slain soldiers stirred feelings of guilt and led at least one member of the platoon to reveal the rape-slaying on June 22.

According to the affidavit filed Monday, investigators learned of the March 12 attack during a combat stress debriefing that occurred around June 20.

Green will have a preliminary hearing and a detention hearing on July 10 in Charlotte, and will then be brought to Louisville, said Marisa Ford, chief of the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Louisville.

___

Associated Press writers Brett Barrouquere in Louisville, Mark Sherman in Washington

BetterthanU

Banned
That's horrible. There's bad apples here and there, the soldiers with him are just as guilty, and it sounds like the military is going to let them get away with it, even with US troops as witnesses to their actions. War is hell. That's about it.

Last edited:

Darcsun

Established Member
Our troops have it hard enough out there, without the locals hating em even more. I always worried what would happen if someone attacked a Muslim woman. If he is found guilty, they should string him up for the trouble he just started.

SVTStuntin'

Established Member
You know what? I am getting so sick of the f*cking drive by media onyl reporting the bad things that come from over seas. They need to stop being such pricks and start reporting the good that is coming from Iraq. It is making me sick, all these stories of these kinds of allegations, but thats all they are allegations, the left need to stop presuming all soliders guilty. We live in America where we are all innocent until proven guilty. Now I'm not saying this guy is innocent, but he deserves a fair trial, just like everybody else. Now Mr. Murtha or Mr. Kerry will come on and say, "Look at our soliders, they are raping and killing Iraqys for fun, these soliders are guilty of rape and murder in the first degree." And you know what, the media will put it all over tv hoping that the public will believe the :bs: . But we won't because we know that the American soldier is the best in the world and we will prevail, and we will win, its just takes time, time that I am willing to wait, and support the troops so the war doesn't come here. And anybody that doesn't believe that we should stay until the job is done can kiss President Bush's ass, because thankfully he won't cut and run!!!!! Be thankful for President Bush because we aren't leaving until the job is done!!!

Last edited:

Squeeler92

I reserve my judgment. Very few of us have any experience over there. I couldn't imagine waking up every waking day and wondering if I will see nightfall. I'm sure there are many soldiers who just snap like this one who just couldn't handle it anymore. I'm sure there are others that just want to gun down every brown colored person they see on the streets. I'm not defending this guy, as the act itself was horrible, but at the same time, most of us have no idea what it's like to be in that situation...

Squeeler92

SVTStuntin' said:
You know what? I am getting so sick of the f*cking drive by media onyl reporting the bad things that come from over seas. They need to stop being such pricks and start reporting the good that is coming from Iraq. It is making me sick, all these stories of these kinds of allegations, but thats all they are allegations, the left need to stop presuming all soliders guilty. We live in America where we are all innocent until proven guilty. Now I'm not saying this guy is innocent, but he deserves a fair trial, just like everybody else. Now Mr. Murtha or Mr. Kerry will come on and say, "Look at our soliders, they are raping and killing Iraqys for fun, these soliders are guilty of rape and murder in the first degree." And you know what, the media will put it all over tv hoping that the public will believe the BS. But we won't because we know that the American soldier is the best in the world and we will prevail, and we will win, its just takes time, time that I am willing to wait, and support the troops so the war doesn't come here. And anybody that doesn't believe that we should stay until the job is done can kiss President Bush's ass, because thankfully he won't cut and run!!!!! Thankfully for President Bush we aren't leaving until the job is done!!!

Controversy sells....end of story....

97BlackCobra

I hear ya'll, he certainly deserves a fair and honorable trial.....but if this turns out to be true, like the Haditha killings. I would have no problem with them being executed. I don't want rapist's/murderer's representing my incredible armed services and my country. Simple as that! But I don't walk in their shoes, so maybe I have no opinion on these matters. I just can't stand the thought of a 5 year old being killed after seeing the rape of a family member..no matter what relegion or skin color they may be.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
WorkHorse09 said:
I reserve my judgment. Very few of us have any experience over there. I couldn't imagine waking up every waking day and wondering if I will see nightfall. I'm sure there are many soldiers who just snap like this one who just couldn't handle it anymore. I'm sure there are others that just want to gun down every brown colored person they see on the streets. I'm not defending this guy, as the act itself was horrible, but at the same time, most of us have no idea what it's like to be in that situation...

+65000 and that is from someone out here. I don't have near the worries the guys going outside the wire have but there is little doubt in my mind that the stress these guys are under is phenominal and there are going to be those that crack. Doesn't exscuse it, doesn't excuse those that knew and covered it up ... but it does help explain how these things can and do happen.

This kind of thing happened in EVERY war the US has EVER been involved in, EVERY STINKING ONE! the difference is that with todays ability for instant communication we are hearing about it much more often and much quicker than in the past.

BetterthanU

Banned
WorkHorse09 said:
I'm not defending this guy, as the act itself was horrible, but at the same time, most of us have no idea what it's like to be in that situation...

you just did defend the guy. If (IF) this did occur, there is no excuse in the world that justifies the premeditated rape and killings, period.

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
im sure shit like this has been around for ever.. just the media got more ballsy over time and interent was in everyhouse hold.. i cant even imagin how many vietnam victims fell victim to the same thing.. or any enemy in all our wars.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
BetterthanU said:
you just did defend the guy. If (IF) this did occur, there is no excuse in the world that justifies the premeditated rape and killings, period.
Other than Zarqawis death what good have you ever heard about a soldier from the press? Hell they even have tried to turn that into a blemish on us. We didn't kill him the "right" way, LOL.
If guilty I hope they crush him and his fellow conspirators.

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
BetterthanU said:

Seriously, are you warped or something?

This is simply an allegation at this point. Unless they have video...it will be hard to prove. Is it horrible? Yes. No one is doubting that.

We premiditate all sorts of things, including killings. Ever heard of capitol punnishment? Rape is another story. No excuse for that. But you seriously have to pull your head out of your ass and realize that you have ZERO clue what its like to have a little kid hand you a live grenade with the pin pulled. Until you have experienced that, then you might be able to make as brash of a statement as that one.

Call me heartless but if a kid hands me a grenade, you bet I am gonna lay him down in a hail of lead. :burn:

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
If it really happened, which more than likely it didn't, then they should all be strung up by needles in their ballsacks, because that's just horrible, I don't care if you're at war or not.

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
In wartime attrocities happen. Blame stress, young men disoriented, bad apples, lack of law and order norms, etc. If guilty, the crimes deserve the death penalty, but I don't believe in that. So ten to fifteen years at hard labor...

97BlackCobra

10-15 years would be a joke! If they are found guilty. Life in prison would be a bare minimum. But I hope for a death sentence, cant stand rapists/baby killers. His actions may cause more deaths of our servicemen, he has helped draft in more insurgents/terrorists. I hope hell is hot enough for that bastard!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawless03

Established Member
JSnake said:
10-15 years would be a joke! If they are found guilty. Life in prison would be a bare minimum. But I hope for a death sentence, cant stand rapists/baby killers. His actions may cause more deaths of our servicemen, he has helped draft in more insurgents/terrorists. I hope hell is hot enough for that bastard!!
i totally agree with you...though i do feel for all of our servicemen and women overseas in situations most of us cannot imagine, i do not feel that that is an excuse to be a sick ****..this really upset me to see it on the news... if the allegations are true, this was totally premediatated...he
allegedly shot a five year old girl...think of what the actions of a few soldiers are doing to the overall image of the united states...people blame the media for just concentrating on the bad things, but think of what an anti american medias airwaves look and sound like...

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Excuse me - the trial hasn't taken place yet, but you (and the liberals) assume he's guilty. (Your thread title tells me you assume he's guilty). Shame on you.

97BlackCobra

harry gilbert said:
Excuse me - the trial hasn't taken place yet, but you (and the liberals) assume he's guilty. (Your thread title tells me you assume he's guilty). Shame on you.

I am just an ordinary american citizen, no political motives here at all. Just a female allegedly being raped and 5 year old killed after witnessing it, absolutley disgusts me. Our government is taking it seriously, his fellow soldiers has gave the up info on him. He was a bad egg to begin with. Liberal? I dunno what that is....love the death penalty here. Every rapist/pedophile/child killer deserves a slow death at the end of a rope. Just because he wore our country's uniform at one time, doesnt give him a free pass.

Users who are viewing this thread