Solid axle to IRS swap

AssassinoGrigio

Established Member
I figured who better to ask than the Cobra owners as far as the IRS is vs the solid axle. I have an 01 Bullitt(42k miles)... bone stock; now before you shoot me(lol) I figure why put a penny into an engine I'm going to get rid of in the next 2 years. Of course, the plan is to transplant the 03/04 block... :rolling:

Even after I get the drivetrain swap in I do not plan on even thinking about going over 500 HP.... so my question is if you were in my postion what are the benefits of swapping my rear axle(plenty of offers thus far lol) for your 03 IRS? I would most def. enjoy a better handling car, but my B isnt exactly bad in that department as it will outhandle any other mustang(99-01 Cobra, 03-04 Mach1) stock for stock not named an 03-04 Cobra. The bulk of the $ put into the Bullitt package was suspension related.. anyway Im having a tough time deciding whether or not to do the swap, so talk me into or out of it... thanks

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
The IRS will handle the 500hp, I'd do it. Handling over rough surfaces will be greatly improved. Just make sure you don't get wheel hop. Stabilize the irs with bushings, get a LPW differential cover when you start getting near the 450-500 mark.

AssassinoGrigio

Established Member
See that's what gets me... why are the Cobra guys(lol) so eager to trade? Yeah I know its less expensive to fix a solid axle and the whole wheel hop issue but idk... what exactly would you classify as wheel hop? Chirping?

stangaholic280

Established Member
I suppose you could call it chirping. You know when it happens because you can literally feel your wheels hopping.

I did it for the first time in my Cobra the other day, and I immediately looked at my wife and said "...that's a wheel hop." LoL. Remember when you were a kid and pretended to be an Indian and you could pat ur hand on ur mouth rapidly while making an Indian war cry...well if you could do that to a squealing burnout, thats sort of what it sounds like lol...I need to go to bed. :lol1: :bored:

Teej281

Established Member
IRS all the way. Im doing the swap in a couple weeks in my 02 GT convertible. Im planning on 500-600rwhp myself and the IRS is gonna handle it just fine. Do bushing upgrade to delrin to prevent wheel hop, diff cover like mentioned above, and you'll be fine id say. Dont launch it super hard to be nice to the half shafts, but if you do, run the slicks to help take the shock of the launch. Definitely do it man. It definitely is an upgrade over the SRA. Im doing full bushing kit from full tilt boogie racing and MM coilovers and then some version of the adjustable toe end links and stuff. Go for it and dont look back.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
IRS FTMFW :rockon:

i love mine !!!

if ya do it i would recomend the LPW or FORE diff cover & the full tilt boogie racing irs bushing kit you will thank me later :D

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
See that's what gets me... why are the Cobra guys(lol) so eager to trade? Yeah I know its less expensive to fix a solid axle and the whole wheel hop issue but idk... what exactly would you classify as wheel hop? Chirping?

I just dont need a IRS for what I plan to do with my car.

AssassinoGrigio

Established Member
i see

I just dont need a IRS for what I plan to do with my car.

Very true, which is mostly the case it seems considering these cars easily mod to 600+.... thanks for the responses in advance. The one thing that I cant get out of my head is how beautiful the piping is on an IRS... nevermind the handling factor, yeah I will add about 80 pounds but hey Im strongly considering it now. :rockon:

Teej281

Established Member
Some guys will swap straight up with you. Just have to find someone that wants to make their car into a drag car and wants to just dump the IRS and youre golden.

Users who are viewing this thread