Solid axle worth swapping in?

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
Well here in the spring i plan on having around 550 or so at the wheels. Ive been driving around lately and when i smash the throttle a bit i get some wheelhop . . . i hate it!

I found a guy here locally that has an 03 mach one and was interested in a trade. Is this worth it when it comes to my situation? I just hate wheelhop and when im getting on the throttle i dont want anything but the spin (no wheelhop!). . . should i do this? He has the same size brakes in the rear so i dont think you would need anything new besides catback and new differential yokes i think?

Help me out guys!

:read:

blksvt10th

Established Member
less stuff to worry about breaking in a solid.... if your drag a lot, it's the next best thing to sliced bread... high rpm launches no worries...

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
it helps with ground clearance too doesnt it? Ive noticed my tips that wrap around the IRS hit sometimes. This should also make it MUCH BETTER! agree juiced46?

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
so it is a straight up swap with no extra parts except to buy new ujoints for when you swap the differential yolks? This is what ive been told.

I cant wait!

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
i would say so . . . wouldnt you guys? If anything down the road when i get the 550 or so power i will switch out some stronger spline axles . . . would this work?

Anywone know the power recommenations for the mach rear end?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
mwaull said:
i would say so . . . wouldnt you guys? If anything down the road when i get the 550 or so power i will switch out some stronger spline axles . . . would this work?

Anywone know the power recommenations for the mach rear end?

Well it is a straight up swap. BUT yes you are going to want to upgrade it. Stock form will break eventually. Depends on how hard you are on it. My solid rear is stock with 3.73s. Been in the car since April and a few track passes and lots of hard driving. Mine has been holding up, but all i get is tire spin, so i havent really launched hard on it.

Im in the middle of upgrading it with a Traction Loc Diff, Superior 31 Spline Axles, Diff Girdle, etc etc etc

Greg Anderson

Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
You think the stock Mach I rearend will handle 550+ RWHP?

:poke:

I have a stock GT rear in my car with 600rwhp & 695rwtq. Slicks and 6000 rpm clutch drops. Call me lucky I guess.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Greg Anderson said:
I have a stock GT rear in my car with 600rwhp & 695rwtq. Slicks and 6000 rpm clutch drops. Call me lucky I guess.

I'm sure it will handle the HP, but the question is for how long? Can you get 30K out of it before it begins to whine like a little bitch? :poke:

tonythetiger

Established Member
Im thinking of swaping but will my ccw rims fit on a solid axle(9")same as IRS. If so I will do it.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Greg Anderson said:

Wow, thats lucky.

When I was researching my live axle swap I came across all kinds of horror stories, 28 splines twisting, stock diffs blowing up at 350hp, torque boxes ripped out at 320 rwhp on slicks (on the much lighter FOX body cars).

Go to the corral and search.

I guess I choose the conservative path. I upgraded every component to match the power of my ported-eaton/2.76 CPIE vert (480/480)
31spline Strange axles, eton posi, upr/lwr torque box reinforcements.

Also, to me, it was a big sacrifice in ride and handling for the elimination of wheelhop.

My new coupe is staying IRS, doing level 5's and Billetflow Brace, Billetflow anti-hop shock bushings, PHP Toe rods, Delrin UCA/LCA, MM Pinion adjuster and MM IRS bushings.

Good luck with your choice.

Rwick7

Established Member
I've had 03's with both rear ends and if you don't drag race ALOT, I would stick with the IRS. Do you have lowering springs in the car? I have HR super Sports and BFG drag radials and get very very little hop...ever.

Just a thought

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
if im getting 18x11 wheels in the rear here soon . . . will this give me more space than the IRS? With this make a difference in the fitment? I would think i would have more room with the solid (no IRS bolt, etc) but am i wrong?

Yes my car is lowered. . . bout inch and a half.

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
and yes the wheels are custom made so they were made to fit an IRS . . . shouldnt have had ANY problems when i put them on the IRS.

primo

Established Member
Also, to me, it was a big sacrifice in ride and handling for the elimination of wheelhop.
I'll stick with my IRS

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
mwaull said:
and yes the wheels are custom made so they were made to fit an IRS . . . shouldnt have had ANY problems when i put them on the IRS.

i forget the length..but the solid is a smidge longer (wider) than the IRS...AND WITH 18'S I THINK U WILL HAVE THE SAME CLEARANCE AS WITH A SOLID

Users who are viewing this thread