Solid steering shaft support steeve

SlowSVT

Established Member
When installing a MM solid steering shaft I noticed it lacked the plastic steeve that factory rag joint shaft employs and thought I would share.

When installing the MM shaft it was loose as a goose not engaging the shaft bearing in the firewall. While probably not an absolute necessity I thought is was a bit hoaky not haveing any support there the shaft would be supported by the bearing in the steering column and the other end supported by the steering rack input shaft bearing with a U-joint in between the two :bored:

Not feeling real comfortable with that I had a friend turn me a delrin sheeve. Here are pics of the factory shaft next to the MM shaft and the delrin sleeve.

SN95%20solid%20steering%20shaft%20support%20sleeve%202_zpsincskazl.jpg

SN95%20solid%20steering%20shaft%20support%20sleeve%201_zpsgvxsdnpe.jpg

The sleeve does not have the flats on the inside to conform to the flats in the shaft like the molded factory sleeve so I plan on filling the gap with epoxy to provide better support around the sleeve.

Now the shaft fits nice a snug even if you remove the steering column and you won't have that gap between the shaft and the bearing which may allow a little engine fumes and noise into the passenger compartment.

Just something to consider if you decide to install a solid steering shaft.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have a feeling no aftermarket mfg will supply the plastic sleeve. Chances are they are not going to invest in a mold tool. The only other option is to turn them on a lathe and that adds a lot of cost.

I just posted this if anyone else doesn't like the fact that there are no provisions for the firewall shaft bearing that this is a way to address it.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I wouldnt call it a actual sleeve but mine did come with the piece that you can somewhat make out in the pic. I bought mine a few years ago as well Russ.

IMG_2188_zps9324c18f.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
Your suppose to use the oem one from the stock steering shaft

The OD on the OEM shaft is smaller than the MM unit. Besides the factory sleeve was pressed onto the shaft very tight and I did not want to ruin a perfectly good sheering shaft trying to press it off. I have leaned to be very weary of wrecking stock parts to salvage a component. You never know when your going to need it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I wouldnt call it a actual sleeve but mine did come with the piece that you can somewhat make out in the pic. I bought mine a few years ago as well Russ.

IMG_2188_zps9324c18f.jpg

Troy

Can't really make out the sleeve in your photo but those blue motor mounts has sparked my curiosity. Don't tell me they are "Mystichrome" lol

:rockon:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
My apologies Russ. I posted the wrong pic! Below is the pic intended. The motor mounts are just OEM mounts ordered through Ford. They came blue like that for some reason.

After re-reading your original post i was thinking about something else. I see what you mean now. I don't remember how mine came and i don't have a clear pic of the upper portion

IMG_2189_zps42404fd3.jpg

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Troy that's the same shaft I have mine is just painted. I was pulling your leg regarding the motor mounts (I take it they're urethane :coolman: ).

Chances are most everyone installs this shaft with the steering column installed and won't notice there is no support for the shaft at this point. Once both ends slide onto one another it will feel rigid. My dash and steering column were not present when I test fitted the shaft into the rack when I noticed it wasn't engaging the firewall bearing. I would not loose sleep if the sleeve is not present but I like the fact that it's there.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Ha yea i didnt notice it. but i did notice how much my steering tightened up once installed. No poly, the motor mounts are OEM rubber ford mount. they look the same as the oem pieces I replaced, they're just blue. I take it your replacements are not?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I pressed the sleeve on the shaft and inserted it into the firewall bearing to give you a better picture on the finished results.

SN95%20steering%20rack%2018_zpsppxm9jgb.jpg

SN95%20Steering%20rack%2019_zpsevzm9obp.jpg

SN95%20Steering%20rack%2017_zpsthrl1da7.jpg

Feels "precision" now. My steering system is now officially done! Now I just got 100 more things to do :-D

Users who are viewing this thread