Solve a mpg mystery for me

Orions96cobra

Established Member
Ok heres the thing I drive 110 miles one way back to my hometown every other weekend or so. My car eats gas in the city due to the 4.10's and the blower and my heavy ass right foot. I have tried this three times so it puts the varible out of the question in ways.

Trip #1-Filled up drove about 10 city, then 90 hwy, filled it back up to see how much I burned, It took 3.6 gallons thus 27.7mpg

Trip #2 drove about 5 city and 115hwy filled it back up again and it took 4.3 gallons thus 27.9mpg

Trip #3 tonight I drove 90hwy miles and filled the tank back up and it took 3 gallons exactly thus 30mpg.

Im lost, when I fill up in the city and drive I burn 1/2 tank in 100 miles but hwy driving I burn 1/4 tank in 100 miles.

Can my car really get high 20's mpg with 4.10's & 456rwhp?

Whats going on? Any thoughts would help.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Yes. Like he said, it's the beauty of mod motors. We get good gas mileage, the pushrods get cheaper engine mods. :shrug:

Untamed

Established Member
WTF I get 19.6 mpg highway! WITH THE TORNADO! with out its 16.9mpg highway! :mj: :cuss: :bs:

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
I get 28 highway. Given that's without gears, but still.

I do feel stupid for forgetting about the speedo gear though :(.

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Untamed said:
WTF I get 19.6 mpg highway! WITH THE TORNADO! with out its 16.9mpg highway! :mj: :cuss: :bs:

Rofl plz tell me your kidding. You didnt.......

coolguy10786

Established Member
I don't find it hard to believe. Mine gets 27 on the freeway and about 24ish mixed. I think what helps to this is my longer drive to get to town always allows then engine to warm up. Also i have heard blowers help with gas mileage when your right foot isn't heavy. I don't know first hand, but if its true then i have no problem believing what your getting.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
I was getting less than ten in the city and anywhere between 22 to 30 mpg depending if i'm going up the hills or just taking the long flat road to mexico.

white98snake

Established Member
i used to get like 230miles to a tank, but that was a combo of mostly around town driving and a couple redline pulls and some highway driving, when i came home form school which was like 240mile i made it on a lil more then half a tank and that was running PIG rich i dnoo the mpg is tho lol

97tntcobra

Established Member
well my cobra gets some where in the range of the 20 but my 02 gt with only exhuast gets 14.5mpg in town what do yall think about that? I think it sucks! and thats keeping my foot out of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread