Some advice needed on buying wheels!

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
I am curious on the best way to protect yourself when buying a set of wheels over the internet from a private seller! Any tips would be much appreciated! The seller will be shipping me the wheels
Price lets just say $1000 plus because they will be well over that.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I am curious on the best way to protect yourself when buying a set of wheels over the internet from a private seller! Any tips would be much appreciated! The seller will be shipping me the wheels
Price lets just say $1000 plus because they will be well over that.

Paypal with buyer protection.

Some form of bill of sale.

Insurance on shipped product.

etc...

you're still taking an inherent risk...Caveat emptor

If you can't afford to throw that kind of money away, then keep looking for something local or buy new from reputable shop.

Last edited:

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Is it a seller from this site? Is so, check his trader rating and maybe even PM some members that bought from him. Craigslist, beware. Too many scammers on there. I hate that site unless you look local and buy in person. Good luck. And if you're spending well over $1000, why not contact Steve @ TF. He might be able to help you out?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Craigslist should only be used for local in-person cash only transactions (except for car purchases in which use your bank/CU).

If youre buying online from a legit business use paypal and dont send money as a gift. Google the business and make sure they truly reside at their address shown.

If youre spending over $1000 from a private seller id want a pic with their screen name on a piece of paper to ensure its legitimately theirs, and use a real shipping company and set it up to where any package that goes to your address you instantly get a tracking number emailed to you. Dont rely on the seller to send it. Make sure you inspect the contents prior to signing that you received the package; any damage you instantly return to sender.

BM1

Established Member
Be sure to use a credit card to pay for them so you have can file a dispute with the CC company in the event you get stiffed on the wheels.

Coiled03

Established Member
Paypal with buyer protection.

Some form of bill of sale.

Insurance on shipped product.

etc...

you're still taking an inherent risk...Caveat emptor

If you can't afford to throw that kind of money away, then keep looking for something local or buy new from reputable shop.

When you use paypal, never never never send payment in the form of a gift.

Be sure to use a credit card to pay for them so you have can file a dispute with the CC company in the event you get stiffed on the wheels.

If you don't feel comfortable with the sale for some reason, back out. Trust your instincts.

All this, and if you're not comfortable doing it over the internet, insist on an in-person exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread