Some data concerning lower ait2's temps.

racebronco2

Established Member
My car is probably the coolest running cobra while running open track for 20 minutes. My car runs cooler than most N/A street cars. On the way to the track and back home with the a/c on the difference between ait1's and ait2's were around 30* =/- 2*. Outside temps were 66 in the morning and 96 on the way home.

It was my theory that if you ran one of the systems that uses the a/c on track that it would make the car run warmer. I did not want to install one just to have to take it off on case the temps were too high. Well it's no longer a theory. In one session i ran 1/2 with the a/c on and the other 1/2 session with the a/c off. The car ran 14*-16* warmer with the a/c on. The heat removed from the condenser is warming the air before it gets to the radiator therefor the car will be running warmer. Once the a/c was turned off temps went back to normal. If you are thinking about using one of those systems while open tracking i would advise against it. Your car will be running way too hot.

90* temps
a/c on engine temps 219* 3 laps
a/c off 204* 3 laps

oil temps 230*
radiator only boxed in only on the top and sides, bottom is open
no splitter
speeds up to 140mph
whipple at 15psi boost

racebronco2

Established Member
Carlos, are you talking about running a Killer Chiller system at the track?

James

No, other people had mentioned it would help out the ait2's. It would help but at the cost of higher engine temps so the gain would not be as much as you would think. In the ford strategy the ecu remove .60 degree of timing for every 10* degrees over 200* engine temps. The iat2's are .60 for every 10* over 100 degrees. So in theory if you lowered the ait's down from 150* to under 100* you would gain 3 * of timing but if your engine temps went from 200* up to 250* you would have no gain at all because they would cancel each other out.

James, they are starting up the drags at willow in june, you and your brother should come on out.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Even if you're not tracking the car you still get higher engine temps running the a/c in summer heat. You can see it just cruising on the highway at 70 mph. Turn A/C on and a few minutes later you'll see coolant temps climb. Like you said the air passing through the a/c condenser is pre-heated before it even hits the radiator so of course the car runs warmer.
Turn the a/c off and keep cruising down the highway and you'll see the temps come back down.

MY DREAM

Established Member
No, other people had mentioned it would help out the ait2's. It would help but at the cost of higher engine temps so the gain would not be as much as you would think. In the ford strategy the ecu remove .60 degree of timing for every 10* degrees over 200* engine temps. The iat2's are .60 for every 10* over 100 degrees. So in theory if you lowered the ait's down from 150* to under 100* you would gain 3 * of timing but if your engine temps went from 200* up to 250* you would have no gain at all because they would cancel each other out.

James, they are starting up the drags at willow in june, you and your brother should come on out.

Sounds good! I just got a larger MAF and a return fuel sytem I need to get in the car. Then off to tune it at RET. I am debating on the Killer chiller aswell. I am all about cooling things down.

James

racebronco2

Established Member
Even if you're not tracking the car you still get higher engine temps running the a/c in summer heat. You can see it just cruising on the highway at 70 mph. Turn A/C on and a few minutes later you'll see coolant temps climb. Like you said the air passing through the a/c condenser is pre-heated before it even hits the radiator so of course the car runs warmer.
Turn the a/c off and keep cruising down the highway and you'll see the temps come back down.

On my car it's just not true. On the way home in 96* weather there was no change in engine or ait2's temps with the a/c on. I drove 10 miles with the a/c and a/c off no change. My car runs cooler than most.

A friend with a Roush charged 01 2v with hood vents, cobra "R" hood with the gills cut out, larger radiator, boxed in radiator opening at 380rwhp. He was running 215* engine temps and 145* ait2's with around 9 psi of boost.

What radiator are you running op?

LFP radiator. It's not one item that will allow your car to run cool, it's the total package.

BMR Tech

Good info, thank you for sharing.

I am working on getting my IAT2's down right now. I datalog my car everytime I drive it, and have also noticed that the AC will increase engine temps by 15* or so, even on the highway.

SVTDice

Established Member
I've noticed my Engine temps are much higher with the A/C on in stop and go traffic, etc. But once I'm on the highway I have no issues.

By the way, Do you have a custom air dam by any chance?

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I've noticed my Engine temps are much higher with the A/C on in stop and go traffic, etc. But once I'm on the highway I have no issues.

By the way, Do you have a custom air dam by any chance?

What do you see with the A/C on in stop n go traffic? Y'day was not that hot (87), but at 75mph crusing, my temps were around 183-185 with no A/C on. Once I turned on the AC, my temps shot up to 191 or so and held constant there...if I get in stop n go traffic, I can't run the AC as my temps will shoot up to 216-220...but I think this is partly due to the fact taht I have a turbo sitting right in front of my fans and my coolant pipe goes straight down and passes right in front of the turbo :( I am thinking of getting it ceramic coated..not sure how much that will help though?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What do you see with the A/C on in stop n go traffic? Y'day was not that hot (87), but at 75mph crusing, my temps were around 183-185 with no A/C on. Once I turned on the AC, my temps shot up to 191 or so and held constant there...if I get in stop n go traffic, I can't run the AC as my temps will shoot up to 216-220...but I think this is partly due to the fact taht I have a turbo sitting right in front of my fans and my coolant pipe goes straight down and passes right in front of the turbo :( I am thinking of getting it ceramic coated..not sure how much that will help though?

You know stock the high speed fan only turned on at 220 F and that's what my car would run in summer heat with A/C on back in the day. It's not like you're can't run the A/C. I just wouldn't be hammering on it WOT at 220 with massive HP like I assume you're making with the turbo although I did on my ported pulley eaton at 220 all the time and it was fine. My temps never went over 220 though. Had they I would have kept my foot out of it and probably turned the AC off till it cooled back down.

On my turbo Honda I have a similar issue with the turbo and down pipe right by the a/c condenser (condenser & radiator sit side by side and not one in front of the other) so A/C became weak in the summer. I wrapped the down pipe, recirculating waste gate plumbing etc. all in header heat wrap and it did wonders for the radiant heat that was killing the A/C.

SVTDice

Established Member

On a 90+ Degree day in stop and go traffic with the A/C On., I saw as high as 203, SLOW Crawl in the dead heat of Florida sun. It kind of freaked me out. But I do see a higher noticeable temp with A/C ON. But it never got as high as 216-220. But I'd have to see a picture of your setup to tell you if ceramic coating would help or not.

cobracide

Established Member

What degree thermostat do you have? The Riesche 170* made the most temperature difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread