Some MOD Advice Please

Raf1231

Established Member
Hello everyone, Im new to the Lightning world and am seeking
some good advice on what my first mods should be.

2004 Lightning 63k miles Bone stock

Thanks

Dusten

Established Member
I suggest you read this
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...look-here-first-before-posting-questions.html

Then, do a search.

Your questions will likely all be answered. But, first you must ask yourself, what do you want out of the truck, 400hp, 500hp, 12's, 11's? Fun daily driver? Street Terror. All these things need to be answered before you can start modding. I would suggest that one of your first mods be a valve body for the transmission to firm up shifts and increase its lifespan. Next i would get some traction bars, as lightnings love to wheel hop. Then i would get a pulley, tuner, and a good tune either from a reputable local tuner, or get an email tune from someone like amazon tuning.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
In addition, I would consider a few "maintenance" things that have more than likely been over looked considering its a bone stock truck. Look into getting an oil separator to prevent the issues associated with the PCV system, but furthermore, I would also pull the S/C and give the intercooler a good cleaning. Also, for piece of mind, you might want to consider changing the fuel filter. After that, let the modding begin.

SVT_LIGHTNING01

Established Member
the cheapest hp for the money is certainly a crank pulley however you need a tune and probably a good intake to be safe and take advantage. oil separator is a must. An EGR delete is an easy way to cut out hot air in the plenum and can easily be programmed within a tune

Raf1231

Established Member
Appreciate the feedback fellas. Truck already has an oil seperator on it, and that is all that I have been able to find that is not factory.

I wouldn't mind getting it up to 450-500hp. It is my dd so I don't want to go
to crazy with it. Will definitley get the "piece of mind maintenance done."

Dusten

Established Member
450rwhp is what most consider to be the limit of the stock motor, so if you are at that level you are getting crazy, unless you plan to get a built motor. If its your DD, i recommend the valve body, a 4lb lower pulley, a tuner and a good tune. Get a catback for looks and sound. the previous poster mentioned an intake, really with just a drop in filter the stock airbox is good to about 450hp.

SVT_LIGHTNING01

Established Member
for the DD setup i would go: A nice catback exhaust with an x- pipe for some good sound and let it open up. The stock exhaust wont restrict it or anything but its a good look and it couldnt hurt. A cold air intake along with a plenum throttle body from c&l does wonders. also a 4-6# pulley on the crank with a sct tuner. diablo is good but if you go new price you cant beat the sct vs predator. a valve body is a must. ngk tr6 plugs to go with the pulley. gapeed around .035 ish give or take a few depending on which pulley you go with. As mentioned above if you dont have the 90mm mass air upgrade you will need it so you wont peg the one you have and have a good time picking your motor up off the road. Finally hunt down a legit dyno with someone that knows what they are doing. These mods should show you around 390-400 rwhp. Then later on down the road if you ported the blower and threw some dr's on the back once you get another car to beat around in then you could sneak up to around 450 rwhp and some low 12's :)

Dusten

Established Member
He has the 90mm, its an 04. Unfortunately even the 90mm is often over powered by a 6lb lower, and I pegged mine with a 4lb. He doesnt' need to find a dyno, personally unless you have a good local tuner, I believe that datalogging and street tuning with JJ or Rick at Amazon is the better beter for someone with basic mods. Also, if you are just doing tuner, pulley, catback the C&L and Throttle body are expensive mods that will net little in return. Do a search on it.

Raf1231

Established Member
WOW! You guys are really knowledgable.

I appreciate all the feedback, advice, and words of wisdom. I will set my goal down to mild since I have realized that I am thinking a bit extreme right now. 400hp i think would be better for dd duty.

Thanks again for the warm welcome to the site, and the great advice that you have given me.

:thumbsup::beer:

4a7191a

Established Member
with the mods in my sig i got 414 rwhp, i would recommend maintaince first, a punisher VB for the trans sake and life for the first mod.

SicWS6

Established Member
I suggest you read this
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...look-here-first-before-posting-questions.html

Then, do a search.

Your questions will likely all be answered. But, first you must ask yourself, what do you want out of the truck, 400hp, 500hp, 12's, 11's? Fun daily driver? Street Terror. All these things need to be answered before you can start modding. I would suggest that one of your first mods be a valve body for the transmission to firm up shifts and increase its lifespan. Next i would get some traction bars, as lightnings love to wheel hop. Then i would get a pulley, tuner, and a good tune either from a reputable local tuner, or get an email tune from someone like amazon tuning.

what valve body would you reccommend? where is the best place to get it?

02lightning93

Established Member
call or email johnny lightning, and tell them what your plans for the truck are and he will set you in the right direction.

SvtRacing

Established Member
i would call JDM Engineering or JJ at WMS and tell them what your plans are and buy a package deal or. go to the classifieds and pick up the stuff then do a custom tune. basic things would be

6lb lower pulley
cold air intake(i like the AEM 98mm)
valve body
mass air flow meter(sct brand)
custom tune from JDM or WMS and you will be in the 410-430rwhp / 500-530rwhtrq. then if you want to take the truck to the track get a drive shaft loop and set of longbars. buy a set of AR bajas with ET streets or slicks and have the tuner do a race tune. Remove some weight from the truck and you will have yourself a 12sec street truck.

SVT_LIGHTNING01

Established Member
mine made 400 with 6lber, CAI, bassani catback with x pipe, c&l plenum and throttle body, and dynoed sct tuned

I personally disagree with the throttle body and plenum not yielding much result. I thought my truck opened up quite a bit with the upgrade. especially the throttle body gave it alot of throttle response.

From there i went with a Mafia mass air extender, and a full race port from posi performance and that along took me to 440 along with a killer chiller cooling system.

Each truck acts differently but the basic pulley with a good tune and a CAI to back it up is an excellent cheap start to the mod process. Also agree with Dusten the mass airs are easily pegged with the pulley swap.

jakhammer

Established Member
look at my sig. 417hp 496tq. do yourself a favor and skip the eaton porting, its a waste of time and money. your et will stay the same, 60ft get slower, trap speeds go up... I lost low end and picked up top end. all i did was trade 60ft time for mph. et stayed the same, consistant 12.7x. 12.6x after a bit of weight redux. and this combo will peg my 90mm MAF @ 55 ambient air temp.

Chris

EDIT: those times are on MT ET Street 28x11.5 bias plys but the truck as it is driven on the street ie spare tire, sub, amp, soda in the cup holder etc.

Last edited:

SVT_LIGHTNING01

Established Member
my truck went from 13#'s to 16#'s off the port and picked up 4 tenths of a second and about 3 mph in trap speed. I think if they are done right they can be an improvement. mine was only 450$ for plenum,tb, midplate and blower port.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
look at my sig. 417hp 496tq. do yourself a favor and skip the eaton porting, its a waste of time and money. your et will stay the same, 60ft get slower, trap speeds go up... I lost low end and picked up top end. all i did was trade 60ft time for mph. et stayed the same, consistant 12.7x. 12.6x after a bit of weight redux. and this combo will peg my 90mm MAF @ 55 ambient air temp.

Chris

EDIT: those times are on MT ET Street 28x11.5 bias plys but the truck as it is driven on the street ie spare tire, sub, amp, soda in the cup holder etc.

Anybody loses any time with one of my ports you either get a refund back or I purchase you a stock blower to replace it.:beer: After 160 ports we've yet to do either one.

JoeRacer

Established Member
Anybody loses any time with one of my ports you either get a refund back or I purchase you a stock blower to replace it.:beer: After 160 ports we've yet to do either one.

And you actually post to answer people's questions and make sense of things instead of vague claims that confound people from a single post with little response to questions asked (no names named).

Users who are viewing this thread