Some Quality Control Issues on the 2015's

nycarpenter

Established Member
Take pictures to get approval! You just spent $40,000 on a car that looks like Ray Charles put it together! I hear Flat Rock has several thousand on the ground that failed QC. Imagine what those cars look like! Quick get me Stevie Wonder on the phone we have a job for him at Ford! Sick to death of hearing its built by robots or this is not a BMW Sir.. My dealer put in a new rear shield and has to replace the dash panel due to blemish in the molding other then this the car seems to be fine. The service writer asked me if I could live with the defects in the molding. Who the hell asks these stupid questions.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
For what it's worth, I went around my 2013 after I bought it and adjusted some body panels. I even pulled the back bumper and added some fasteners to the brackets to pull the bumper cover in closer to the body. It was loose like yours is. I'm sure the 2015s will get better, but I'm afraid most US companies are going to have issues like this. I'd rather deal with these little things than all the crap that we have to deal with on German cars.

Luckily, I do paint and body work, so I have no hesitations about doing it all myself. I'll never let the dealership touch my car if I can help it.

Last edited:

nycarpenter

Established Member
For what it's worth, I went around my 2013 after I bought it and adjusted some body panels. I even pulled the back bumper and added some fasteners to the brackets to pull the bumper cover in closer to the body. It was loose like yours is. I'm sure the 2015s will get better, but I'm afraid most US companies are going to have issues like this. I'd rather deal with these little things than all the crap that we have to deal with on German cars.

Luckily, I do paint and body work, so I have no hesitations about doing it all myself. I'll never let the dealership touch my car if I can help it.

I have adjusted almost every panel on my 03/04 Cobras but from 2010 and up had pretty well put together cars. Minor issues yes but nothing like the earlier cars. The rear cobra bumpers have such crap support they walk all over the place. I do not mind screwing with a used 12 year old car but fresh off the line I shove it down the dealers throat if need be.

OP. Do not fill out the viewpoint survey until you are 100% satisfied.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'm not saying it's acceptable by any means. Please don't misunderstand. It's unfortunate that these issues seem to be so common already.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Remember that old saying , never buy the 1st run of a completely redesigned new vehicle...looks like it applies here!

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
My retail order built on 10/21 has the trunk alignment issue.
Have you addressed it with your dealer, bpmurr? Also, let me escalate this for you as well. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

I got word from the shop today that Ford approved fixing everything thankfully. They ordered a new bumper bracket and as soon as it comes in they'll get on it.
Glad this is being taken care of for you, Budwise. Please keep me posted.

Deysha

nycarpenter

Established Member
Have you addressed it with your dealer, bpmurr? Also, let me escalate this for you as well. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

My rear glass was changed yesterday and the dash trim was ordered and should arrive next week. My issues with Ford over the years have not been huge but they seem to fight you on things that are pretty clear cut quality control problems that were either not addressed or seen prior to being sent to dealer. Perfect nobody is but how your car made it to the dealer looking like this is a sure sign Ford needs to have their medical plan include free glasses for all employees.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
And you have to adjust the robotics positioning programming to compensate.

Yeah, it's a first run car.

No issues so far on my 14. It had plenty of process evolution behind it. Fingers crossed lol

bpmurr

Established Member

Deysha

Yes, it was addressed prior to taking delivery by the Dealer's body shop.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
My rear glass was changed yesterday and the dash trim was ordered and should arrive next week. My issues with Ford over the years have not been huge but they seem to fight you on things that are pretty clear cut quality control problems that were either not addressed or seen prior to being sent to dealer. Perfect nobody is but how your car made it to the dealer looking like this is a sure sign Ford needs to have their medical plan include free glasses for all employees.
Thanks for the info and glad to learn your dealer is taking care of this for you, nycarpenter.

Yes, it was addressed prior to taking delivery by the Dealer's body shop.
Great! Thanks, bpmurr.

Deysha

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
One of our 2015s seems to have some issues. It was completed about the same time as the other (which should be at the dealer today) but is not scheduled to be delivered for another 40 days. Latest rumor is that a shipment of GT exhausts had the cats welded in backwards and those cars are being held at the factory while being fixed.

97StangSVT

Established Member
I have adjusted almost every panel on my 03/04 Cobras but from 2010 and up had pretty well put together cars. Minor issues yes but nothing like the earlier cars. The rear cobra bumpers have such crap support they walk all over the place. I do not mind screwing with a used 12 year old car but fresh off the line I shove it down the dealers throat if need be.

OP. Do not fill out the viewpoint survey until you are 100% satisfied.

The alignment of the hood on my 4k mile 04 Cobra is off. I guess they still have the same problems 10 years later. When my mom took delivery of her brand new 14 Mustang GT that she ordered, it had grease pencil markings around a few blemishes. The dealer did not prep the car when they received it (as per her instruction). I am not sure how that passed quality control. Oh well, I guess it is the 'charm' of owning a Mustang! :dw:

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
UPDATE:
I took my car in and they replaced the bumper bracket, re-aligned the hood and adjusted the front quarter panels a little, and re-aligned the trunk and decklid. Overall the service was great and they did the best they could and it looks MUCH better. My trunk still has a slightly larger gap on one side than the other but upon going back and adjusting with them found that if we fixed that we'd throw other gaps out worse in other places. Overall not a big deal and you wouldnt notice unless I pointed it out to you. Its not perfect but a quick walk around their lot to see other 2015's revealed that mine was now definitely the straightest one there lol. Out of 6-8 cars there all of them had panels out of whack. I still highly recommend checking out your car THOROUGHLY upon purchasing and expect that there is going to be some adjustments needed.

nycarpenter

Established Member
The alignment of the hood on my 4k mile 04 Cobra is off. I guess they still have the same problems 10 years later. When my mom took delivery of her brand new 14 Mustang GT that she ordered, it had grease pencil markings around a few blemishes. The dealer did not prep the car when they received it (as per her instruction). I am not sure how that passed quality control. Oh well, I guess it is the 'charm' of owning a Mustang! :dw:

The 03/04 Cobras were put together by the blind......

nycarpenter

Established Member
One of our 2015s seems to have some issues. It was completed about the same time as the other (which should be at the dealer today) but is not scheduled to be delivered for another 40 days. Latest rumor is that a shipment of GT exhausts had the cats welded in backwards and those cars are being held at the factory while being fixed.

This is a fact Travis! Several had the cats welded it backwards and lots of the earlier cars flopped QC and will never see the dealership. The first few months of production did not go that smooth.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 03/04 Cobras were put together by the blind......

That's the truth, and it's one of the reasons I bought a Lightning instead of a Terminator. I'd still like to have one though.

I have some pics I'm going to post in another thread soon. It should show buyers what to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread