Some Thoughts on the 03 Cobra Class / Bowling Green NMRA Finals

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Dr. Jamie Meyer
Guys, and Hammer in particular,

Hammer – it’s just too early in the racing of these cars to develop a whole bunch of classes. I hope you can appreciate the strings I had to pull to get the event that you have now. I am simply trying to develop a showcase for what I believe is the ultimate Mustang. It’s a party of sorts for all of the 03 Cobra owners and fans to get together and share in this common interest. Besides the drag racing and the car show, we always have a chassis dyno on the property, so at the very least we can set up tests of various equipment right there in front of everyone.

See you in Bowling Green, KY!

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks so much for all the time and consideration for me and the fellas on this board. I know that you are very busy with the NMRA and it sure is nice to have this 'inside word' going on here.

Well, you have pretty much summed it up. Just like any other class or group we have to abide by NHRA safety regulations. I guess I was suffering from some delusions that we might have some special priveleges or something. Sorry about that. I took my meds and feel better now. :dw:

Thanks to everyone else for the thoughts. It's great to get a wide range of perspectives...it certainly helps me.

Like you said, Jamie - no matter what; it's going to be a great event. I think I'll finish up my car as planned and head down there with a 5-point harness and no expectations - other than to have some fun. Can't go wrong that way.

If I'm only going to get one pass I'm gonna try and make it count. I'll only stay in it if I come out good. If not, I'll back off and wait till my next shot. If and when I get disqualified I'll kick back, put a death grip on some Silver Bullets and enjoy what promises to be the ONLY show in town.

Bob: thanks for all the input. I completely respect you, bud. You're one of the big dogs. :beer:

Jamie, maybe you could lean on some of the vendors and have them print us out some 03 Cobra / NMRA shirts to commemorate the event. Make me a custom one that has a kangaroo pouch in the front so I can walk around with a 6-pack and some ice. Then again, that might scare the "sane" people who typically don't understand me.

Thanks again for all the input, guys.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
thanks for the advice, I will use the nittos. But are you saying all 18'' tires are to tall? Because I am probably going to get 18inch rims for the car, so what size tire should I use? 275 or 315?

Kevin, if I were you I'd give that plan some thought. If you are looking for a autocross car, go with the big rims and low-profile tires. If you are looking for the fastest possible 'point-and-shoot' drag race quickness, you want as small of a rim as possible and as much sidewall on the tire as you can get. I learned that the hard way with my first 'hopped up' Mustang. It cruized great when I was done but it wouldn't hook for sh1t!

Remember: you've got MAYBE 28" total tire height to squeeze under that wheel well (or maybe 26" is the tallest that won't rub on these newer Mustang bodies...I don't know for sure yet). In any event, for drag racing, you want as much of that total height as possible to be rubber and the least amount to be rim.

Just a thought.

Rich

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
thanks for the advice, I will use the nittos. But are you saying all 18'' tires are to tall? Because I am probably going to get 18inch rims for the car, so what size tire should I use? 275 or 315?
No, I'm not saying that "all" 18's are too tall, just the 305/45/18 Nitto's you ask about. Nitto makes a 285/35/18 that would work and I remember reading somewhere (sorry, I can't find where, tried for 2hrs.) :mj: (I HATE it when I can't find an article!) that Nitto is working on a 295/35/18 DR to replace the stock rears on a ZO6. If you want a 18" tire that could be used for a street tire/ Drag Radial/autocross tire you might look at some of the 295/35/18 Goodyear F1 SC tires that come on the ZO6's. From what I have heard they are as close to the ultimate all around performance tire as you could hope for, but just don't look for any extended street mileage from them. As they say, performance has it's price! Hope that helps.

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Originally posted by Dr. Jamie Meyer
Cage - By NHRA rules, yes, you will need a cage in the car to run 11.99 or faster. Some tracks let cars run this quick without all of the safety equipment. I don't know what Beechbend's stance will be. So, race at your own risk, knowing full well that they can remove you from competition for an 11.99 run (or quicker).

Rules - On Saturday, the 03 Cobra Shootout will be run all by itself. I will have a list of who is running which tire class. The track is yours to run as fast as (legally) possible. The trophies/prizes will go out to the top qualifying cars on Saturday - just like the old Super Ford 5.0 Shootout if any of you remember those. On Sunday, I am going to group you into the Vortech Modular Muscle class which is an open comp eliminator. You will be running against all other Modular cars that are entered in that class.

I think that's clear. If not, let me know.

Thanks,
Jamie

No, thank you Jamie. Just one ?, will we only have to enter the one class ie: $85 gets us into both classes/races?

Tim Lester

Established Member
I plan on running in the 03 cobra class, car is stock except for a K&N. Question will I need a Drive shaft loop.

Thanks Tim L

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I've had a long day so I may have missed it, but does anyone know what time the '03s are running on Sat.? Dana, Lyle and I are leaving tomorrow morning. see you there.

Users who are viewing this thread