someone help me understand what I'm doing wrong when shift under hard acceleration?

1sic04cobra

Established Member
So since I bought my cobra I have noticed that under hard acceleration it is hard to sometimes get into 2nd gear and almost always into 3rd gear. It is as if it is about to go in but something is physically blocking me from getting into the next gear. This problem is frustrating the hell out of me. And I know for sure I ain't miss shifting cause I had a my black z28 with the t56 as well and never had this kind of trouble with it under acceleration. Under regular cruising speeds no problem everything is good it is just under very hard acceleration. Someone please explain????

Jmurrz

Established Member
I would recommend a few things, first check your clutch cable and adjust it correctly. If you have a firewall adjuster and adjustable quadrant that would be a good start. There are a few threads showing the correct way to set engagement. Once that is set if you are still having problems I would change fluid, after changing to Penzoil Synchromesh my trans was a totally different character. Lastly I would do the "Anti Venom mod" it originally came from the vette guys (hence the name) when they were having trouble with the notchy t56. To combat this, you space out the bolt that controls the detent by using washers. It really helped my car also. If you search you should be able to find some info on all of those things. Best of luck!

furious465

Established Member
I am also experiancing a little difficulty in shifting to 2nd and 3rd. I do have the firewall cable ajdustment, but how do i know when it's adjusted right?

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
If you have stock quadrant, pull up on pedal to reset/tighten the prawl on the toothed quadrant. IF that works then it's an adjustment issue, the mechanism is likely worn out and you will have to reset it all the time. Hard shifting can be caused by a loose cable, hence the syncros are still loaded.

funmoneypit

Established Member
I have to agree with the OP. These are the hardest to shift cars I have ever owned. I am 56 years old and have had many high performance stick cars. I have only had my cobra for 3 months and have missed more shifts in that short period than all my other cars combined. My car just turned 20k miles and is almost completely stock. I am going to do the anti-venom mod and also change the trans fluid. I hope that helps.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I have to agree with the OP. These are the hardest to shift cars I have ever owned. I am 56 years old and have had many high performance stick cars. I have only had my cobra for 3 months and have missed more shifts in that short period than all my other cars combined. My car just turned 20k miles and is almost completely stock. I am going to do the anti-venom mod and also change the trans fluid. I hope that helps.

No mgw shifter? If not you need to order one. 100x better than stock.

03cobraracer

Established Member
First thing is lose the stock shifter! Ha. Then like others said Check adjustment and fluid change. If it's a stock clutch with 600hp then it may also be clutch time.

Users who are viewing this thread