Soon to order Proxes R888, any better prices?

svtaddict

Established Member
i love these tires only gripe is you cant really tell where the sidewall begins on these. weird. also the sidewall isnt the most attractive ive seen but function is more important than form when it comes to my tires. that is why i will never rum kdws or falken 615s on my rear rims again.

svtaddict

Established Member
still subbin for your guys's reviews. bet your reactions are going to be the same as mine. waaaaaaahoooooooo

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
still subbin for your guys's reviews. bet your reactions are going to be the same as mine. waaaaaaahoooooooo

Hope so! They sure seem really sticky for NOT being a drag radial! Plus I only make 455rwhp.

infidel0910

Established Member
Def interested in these. I currently use 315/35/17 NT05R and only get about 5k miles. If these last to 20k like some have said and good great, ill be glad to pay more for them. Need new rear tires soon.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yes they are really sticky, DR's aren't the only sticky tires on the market.. This is a road racing type tire.. You needs lots of traction for long periods of time on a opentrack/roadracing tire.

svtaddict

Established Member
ive got about 5k miles on mine and they are probably about 1/4 used! i will measure depth tomignt

svtaddict

Established Member
yup i got 6/32nds on mine after 5k miles. they come with 6/32nds new. WTF!!??

Last edited:

infidel0910

Established Member
Toyo's site says 8/32 new.... Anyways. I looked at the clearance for my 315/35/17 NT05R's and there is a half inch maybe a lil more between the irs subframe bracket and the sidewall. The 315/35/17 r888 is supposed to be about an inch wider than the NT05r's from what I have read. I have the button head irs bolts already so I'm good there. Trying to decide if I should chance it. I may have to go with a spacer if I do, which I don't really wanna do. Decisions.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Toyo's site says 8/32 new.... Anyways. I looked at the clearance for my 315/35/17 NT05R's and there is a half inch maybe a lil more between the irs subframe bracket and the sidewall. The 315/35/17 r888 is supposed to be about an inch wider than the NT05r's from what I have read. I have the button head irs bolts already so I'm good there. Trying to decide if I should chance it. I may have to go with a spacer if I do, which I don't really wanna do. Decisions.

That's exactly what I'm running, 315/35/17 NT05R. I too am looking at r888 next. An inch wider.... wow. I really don't see that clearing. I'll have to go look again but I believe the NT05R really fills up my 10.5" rim and fits in there tight enough as it is.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That's exactly what I'm running, 315/35/17 NT05R. I too am looking at r888 next. An inch wider.... wow. I really don't see that clearing. I'll have to go look again but I believe the NT05R really fills up my 10.5" rim and fits in there tight enough as it is.

I wonder if the NT05R 315 tire is close to the same width as the R888 305?

infidel0910

Established Member
For 17's toyo's site lists either 275's or 315's. the 305's are for 18 inch wheels. I like my 17's and don't plan on changing. I measured the width of my Nittos and it came to 12 in sidewall to sidewall. Nittos site claims a 12.48 in width, while toyo's site claims a 12.6 In width on their 315's. I have heard nitto sizes are exaggerated which looks true as my measurements are about a half inch off. I wonder how close toyo's measurements are to what their site claims. If it really is 12.6 in I think it will have problems fitting without spacers, unless they are undersized as well. Anybody measure their 315/35/17 R888's, and what was the width? Thanks.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Was at a huge car show today and asking a lot of people about their tires and one guy mentioned to me that Toyo R888 tires only have a certain number of heat cycles before they begin to loose that magical stickyness. Anyone experience this? He said after 60 heat cycles the rubber has to be heated up a lot before they hook well.
I had never heard this before. Any truth?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Was at a huge car show today and asking a lot of people about their tires and one guy mentioned to me that Toyo R888 tires only have a certain number of heat cycles before they begin to loose that magical stickyness. Anyone experience this? He said after 60 heat cycles the rubber has to be heated up a lot before they hook well.

:pop:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

Haven't run the 100 tread rated r888 yet....but as already mentioned I have run the 0 tread rated toyo tq DR for 2.5 years now (2 sets). I'm the guy that's "only getting 1000 miles a set" LOL. But...my power/tq level is pretty high, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the tread wear and long lasting traction is very poor with the TQs. They are awesome when new. I've come to the conclusion I'm just not going to get even decent wear and adequate combo of traction so I'm going to step back to the r888s for my CCW sp500s and order a drag pack with et streets for alternate weekend fun and future track outings. Either a TF or CCW setup.

The "best of all worlds" just doesn't exist. Between looks/wear/traction you can find 2 but not 3. Basically takes sharing time between 2 completely different setups to cover all bases

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Iv'e got 305 888's coming next week with the CCW's. Good tires. If they stick on my Shelby, I have no doubt they'll hold a 505 hp Cobra. 3000 miles on them so far, still look good & hook good. I'm really impressed with the Toyo 888.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
For people buying these tires, please realize that they are a road racing tire.. NOT A DRAG STRIP TIRE!! You do NOT want to launch on these tires at the track, you will wheel hope all over the place.. They are a very VERY stiff sidewall!!!

Like all tires they grip will go with time. A heat cycle isn't each and every time you go WOT.. You're talking about really working the shit out of these tires for 10-20mins at a time through corners on a open track..

Users who are viewing this thread