Sooo do you think the 2015 SRT Barracuda can match up with our new Mustang?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I'll believe it when I hear information about the supposed SRT Barracuda directly from Chrysler. Along with the supposed "Hellcat" supercharged 6.4 Hemi Challenger. It seems any information ever posted about either is just some speculative and hopeful report.

It would be cool to see a true Mustang competitor from the Mopar camp though and I am all for it.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
How the **** can it be a Barracuda, when Plymouth was killed off years ago? That's more ****ed up than a soup sandwich.....:bash: :poke: :burn: :nonono:

Slammintone

Established Member
I like the Challenger, but it's not competing with the current Mustang on any level other than price and horsepower and quite nice retro design style. I am a big fan of the Coyote engine as well as the older 6.1 liter Hemi. The Challenger I had was the R/T version with the 5.7l engine that without some top and bottom end work is basically an older truck/sedan engine IMO. It's a muscle bruiser, not really a performance car like the Mustang is. As far as the Barracuda, hafta see and then drive one to know for sure. Having said all of that, unless Chevy really ruins the Camaro for 2015 then it's the top competitor for the Mustang going forward in my opinion. Currently, I can find at least one current example of all three I own or would gladly own. These are some cool times for car guys/gals!

darreng505

Established Member
I like the Challenger, but it's not competing with the current Mustang on any level other than price and horsepower and quite nice retro design style. I am a big fan of the Coyote engine as well as the older 6.1 liter Hemi. The Challenger I had was the R/T version with the 5.7l engine that without some top and bottom end work is basically an older truck/sedan engine IMO. It's a muscle bruiser, not really a performance car like the Mustang is. As far as the Barracuda, hafta see and then drive one to know for sure. Having said all of that, unless Chevy really ruins the Camaro for 2015 then it's the top competitor for the Mustang going forward in my opinion. Currently, I can find at least one current example of all three I own or would gladly own. These are some cool times for car guys/gals!

Agree.

RTD

Established Member
Chrysler has been talking about the Hellcat engine for close to 4 years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

LostPony

Established Member
The Chrysler people who were here last year for the new Cherokee press intro were very tight lipped about a Barracuda replacement despite my best efforts to get some info.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I believe it will be a lot of marketing for the new hemi cuda. The Barracuda has a legendary name and the name alone will have the Mopar loyalists lining up to order. They will win the horse power war but it will still be a powerful hemi setting in a heavy brick of a car with no balance and handling. They will sell the hell out of it just because of the name but that's just it. It will be a redesigned challenger with a new name.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I thought of seen spy shots of a 2015 Challenger…just has a nose change for next year?

besides if its takes an SRT model to outdo a Mustang GT thats fine…..yea Mopar you forgot we have SVT coming also….

May93

Established Member
If I wasn't a Mustang and Ford fanatic my next choice would be a Challenger. Barracuda just screams muscle car!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mustang killer? Don't count on it!

I don't know why they would kill the Challenger and replace it with a Barracuda. The Cuda has it's roots with Plymouth. Confusing. But then again, they gave people a 4-door Charger. IMO they should introduce a new 2015 Challenger on a new, smaller platform. Plain and simple. That's what Ford or GM would do with the Mustang and Camaro. Why kill the Challenger name and switch to a Dodge Barracuda? :dw:

Jebadias

Established Member
I'll believe it when I hear information about the supposed SRT Barracuda directly from Chrysler. Along with the supposed "Hellcat" supercharged 6.4 Hemi Challenger. It seems any information ever posted about either is just some speculative and hopeful report.

It would be cool to see a true Mustang competitor from the Mopar camp though and I am all for it.

I agree. While it would be nice to see, especially with a competitive power to weight ratio, that article says nothing. No specs, no pics, not even confirmation that it is really happening.

Mustang killer? Don't count on it!

I don't know why they would kill the Challenger and replace it with a Barracuda. The Cuda has it's roots with Plymouth. Confusing. But then again, they gave people a 4-door Charger. IMO they should introduce a new 2015 Challenger on a new, smaller platform. Plain and simple. That's what Ford or GM would do with the Mustang and Camaro. Why kill the Challenger name and switch to a Dodge Barracuda? :dw:

I agree here too. Some people would be excited to see the name but I suspect the real hard core Cuda fans (I count myself in that group) will be put off by the dodge name plate. Not that it would stop me from buying it if it was a superior car but calling it a 'Dodge' or 'Chrysler' Cuda makes the whole Cuda badging meaningless. As far as I care you could call it anything at that point.

I believe it will be a lot of marketing for the new hemi cuda. The Barracuda has a legendary name and the name alone will have the Mopar loyalists lining up to order. They will win the horse power war but it will still be a powerful hemi setting in a heavy brick of a car with no balance and handling. They will sell the hell out of it just because of the name but that's just it. It will be a redesigned challenger with a new name.

I would not go so far as to say this car has to be a brick with no balance and handling. Not too many years ago I remember people saying the same thing about Mustangs. Actually I still hear people say it. Well, they say it right up until we take that first corner in my Boss :rockon:

Jebadias

Established Member
Its not a Dodge Barracuda, its a SRT Barracuda. SRT is now its own separate brand, its not a performance line of Dodge anymore. Its the performance line of all Chrysler vehicles.

Interesting. You snuck that post in while I was writing my previous one. I was not aware that SRT was a brand now. Does that mean that all cars in that model lineup are SRT, as in all Challengers V6, RT and SRT8 or is it just the top model, like an SVT Mustang?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Interesting. You snuck that post in while I was writing my previous one. I was not aware that SRT was a brand now. Does that mean that all cars in that model lineup are SRT, as in all Challengers V6, RT and SRT8 or is it just the top model, like an SVT Mustang?

Only the top dog charger/challenger are called SRT's. Just like the viper is the "SRT" viper now.

On the website it lists as the "SRT Challenger" then when you drop down vehicles, it lists "dodge". I don't know if this is a carry over or what. SRT is supposed to be its own brand now, Just like RAM is its own brand instead of being the "Dodge Ram"

SRT | Street and Racing Technology | driveSRT

Fiat is doing some really ****ed up things, I don't even know anymore :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread