Sounds like I have marbles in my exhaust sometimes...

klonoa

Established Member
It's really odd, sometimes I can really hear it while others I cant hear it at all. Jacked the car up the other day and got under the car to see if I could hear it, but I couldn't hear a damn thing. Any idea what it could be ? The exhaust seems to be on there pretty tightly and the cats only have about 14k miles on em. BTW, I have a bassanni Catted x-pipe

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I hope its not detonation. Does it only happen at high throttle/ WOT applications?
You may also have a cat thats broken up.
Bassani did have troubles with cats falling apart and making a really loud rattling noise.

Last edited:

klonoa

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
I hope its not detonation. Does it only happen at high throttle/ WOT applications?
You may also have a cat thats broken up.
Bassani did have troubles with cats falling apart and making a really loud rattling noise.
Not really, I mainly hear it at lower rpms, sometimes I dont hear it at all.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
What mods do you have, and is there a tune? If so, what plugs are you using and when is the last time you checked them?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you ever hear it at regular idle, in neutral? If so, jack the car up again, have someone bring up the idle and let it return to regular idle. Position yourself under the cats and see if you can hear it/trace it. Oh, and BE SURE TO SAFELY JACK UP THE CAR. Like on a solid surface and good jack stands.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If the car doesn't make the noise when idling in neutral, follow the path that ChicagoMike is pointing to.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
klonoa said:
It's really odd, sometimes I can really hear it while others I cant hear it at all. Jacked the car up the other day and got under the car to see if I could hear it, but I couldn't hear a damn thing. Any idea what it could be ? The exhaust seems to be on there pretty tightly and the cats only have about 14k miles on em. BTW, I have a bassanni Catted x-pipe

It's the cats.... I have bassanni X-pipe...did the same thing, mostly when the car was cold, but then it got worse... It comes and goes with RPM ranges.... 1800-2300 under light acceleration for me.... I swapped out for a Prochamber off road and noise is gone..... My opinion... bassanni catted X's are junk... maybe it was only the earlier models, I don't care, I'd never buy another...

FYI- you need to get that pipe off or fixed... I noticed increased power when I switched mine out, broken cats can cause restriction which isn't going to be good for many reasons, one is lack of power; fuel economy, etc....

klonoa

Established Member
CobraBob said:
If the car doesn't make the noise when idling in neutral, follow the path that ChicagoMike is pointing to.
Occasionally it does make noise while in neutral, especialy when it's cold as evanstang noted.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
Pull off the X-pipe... Throw on stocker.... if it goes away, it's the cat's... but I know it's the Bassanni, numerous people have had this problem!!!!! the cat's on the earlier models are JUNK!!!!!!

GodStang

Established Member
I have what seems to be the same noise but I have no cats. But do have Bassani Catback. Are the mufflers known to go bad?

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
klonoa said:
LMFAO... i knew EXACTLY what it was before I saw what you said it was wrong... the last few words confirm it. Your CATS are F-ed... I have a Bassani X pipe, search the threads, I posted almost the exact same problem about a year ago... it's time for you to get new cats or take them off... I GUARENTEE that is the problem for you...:coolman:

klonoa

Established Member
STROKD said:
LMFAO... i knew EXACTLY what it was before I saw what you said it was wrong... the last few words confirm it. Your CATS are F-ed... I have a Bassani X pipe, search the threads, I posted almost the exact same problem about a year ago... it's time for you to get new cats or take them off... I GUARENTEE that is the problem for you...:coolman:
Yeah, you're like the 10th person whos told me Bassanni is notorious for their bad cats. Thats pretty pathetic considering how ****ing expensive Bassanni stuff is.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
klonoa said:
Yeah, you're like the 10th person whos told me Bassanni is notorious for their bad cats. Thats pretty pathetic considering how ****ing expensive Bassanni stuff is.
Don't drive around too much like that, or at least don't race till you get them off... it will cause so much of a back pressure restriction the tail pipes near the head will start to glow.:eek:

03SBGT

Established Member
EvanStang said:
It's the cats....

Yes it is.

Kinda funny, I was asking some friends the other day what does it sound like when you blow out a cat or a cat goes bad.

They gave the exact description of what the thread starter posted.

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
i have a catted bassani x on my 2000GT and i think one cat is f*cked..... i also get the rattle.

those cats are trash:(

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
It sounds like the cats are breaking up. To me, it sounds like marbles rattling around in a tin can.

When I pulled off my Bassani after 11K miles, fist sized pieces of ceramic honeycomb fell out of both sides. Bassani said the cats were damaged by a speedbump, but there wasn't a mark on them. POS! Never again will I buy one of their products.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I had a heat shield fly off of one of my Bassani cats going 120mph while at an SVTOA event at Texas World Speedway...shut the whole track down while they had to go find it and remove it from the track...:(

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
GodStang said:
I have what seems to be the same noise but I have no cats. But do have Bassani Catback. Are the mufflers known to go bad?
I've never heard of a catback going bad and make this noise. Normally it is the cake material in the converter that has broken up and begins to rattle. Seems to have been an issue with Bassani catted pipes since the beginning.

If a Bassani catted X-pipe is found to have developed this issue, I would contact Bassani about their warranty. They weren't very easy to work with a couple of years ago, but maybe their customer service has improved. If I remember right, someone back in 2003 had this issue, contacted Bassani, and their customer service wouldn't help, claiming he must have hit the cats on something. But maybe things have improved there.

spinscan

Established Member
I have an mrt h-pipe and have a sound similar to what has been described. I wondered what the hell it was. Mine just does it when the car is warmed up and I accelerate from a stop. I have checked under the car and all is tight.

Is there a cheap way to fix this?

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
spinscan said:
I have an mrt h-pipe and have a sound similar to what has been described. I wondered what the hell it was. Mine just does it when the car is warmed up and I accelerate from a stop. I have checked under the car and all is tight.

Is there a cheap way to fix this?

i run MRT h on my cobra and the cats better not mess up because i paid way to much money for this midpipe:mj:

Users who are viewing this thread