sounds suspect...regarding new parts..what to do?

Stinger2007

Established Member
Im not a mechanic, but learning alot thanks to you guys..... Help!

Got my truck bck today, said I have 2 warped front rotors...$775 bucks to replace them.

called salvage yard, said he could give me 2 rotors for $75...

how do tell those two rotors are not warped? by looking at them, or can a person tell?

The service rep said I must replace the brakepads too, shouldn't these two replacements be ground down before applying new pads?

I want to ask the right questions, what to ask this salvage yard guy to confirm these are not warped also, and should they be ground down too?

what to look for?

anyone know a wrencher in Dallas Tx?

wayboarder

Established Member
dude. Go to autozone or advanced auto.

buy two front rotors roughly 150 bucks for brand new ones

Buy grease

buy wheel bearings roughly 16 dollars

buy pads roughly 35 bucks

you will now have brand new rotors and pads.

Dont forget the anti squeal. Its a extremely easy thing to replace. Now use all that money you just saved and buy yourself some more tools.

txyaloo

Established Member
You can get a set of 4 "upgraded" rotors for $350 on ebay or around $500 from RUSLOW on nloc. I think the napa rotors run around the same.

It's not that hard to replace them. Did mine a few months back and it was about a 2hr job with lots of breaks.

I know a lot of the guys in DFW use Terry at Performance Research. http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/

Someone from TALON may be able to help you do the wrenching if you want to tackle it yourself. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/index.php

Stinger2007

Established Member
Thanks to all of you, I can't have them turned, out'a specs. Can u believe I've had the brakes changed once before, rotors were turned an now they have to much wear on them to turn them.

Gees.

MChester

Kenne Bell Blown
Established Member
Ruslow is running a special on his rotors right now. He put up a post over on NLOC yesterday.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Stinger2007 said:
Thanks to all of you, I can't have them turned, out'a specs. Can u believe I've had the brakes changed once before, rotors were turned an now they have to much wear on them to turn them.

Gees.

Damn man! Hard on the brakes much?

Stinger2007

Established Member
how do i reach Mr. Ruslow?

Tapout...LOL! Actually, I drive pretty cool, I'm 35yrs old....most of my hot rodd'n days are behind me..........BUT not all of them....I still like to lean into it now and again.

Sucky part is...sold my 1st L-last year, had this truck given to me, have title in hand. Thinking of going to the dealership to trade it in this week, or next and in the middle of this week it begins driving like crap. I take in to Bankston Ford in Frisco, and the diagnose all these issues I just spoke about above.

Now tell me this isn't a sign from above? lol.

Last edited:

Charlie41

SiFi junky
Established Member
Add bearings and race, and bearing grease to your shopping list. No sense in changing the rotors, and knocking out the race and putting the old one's in a new rotor.

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread