"Source of the Problem with TOB

forane2001

Established Member
What is the absolute fix for the TOB squeal?
My cobra is at the dealer for the TOB and they are going to consult SVT engineers. What is the problem and the fix for the TOB? I dont want to do this more than once.
Does Ford have a TSB yet?
Thanks

SStupid

Established Member
No TSB

No TSB yet. I'm going in for my fourth try next week. I'm on my second tranny/clutch/pressure plate. Good luck to you. I'm thinking about saying "f*%k the warranty" and going with a viper-spec model of the T-56.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
So far, for me, the fix was a new clutch fork ($26) along with a new TOB retainer ($56), composite TOB ($40), and aftermarket quadrant/FW adjuster ($80).

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by forane2001
What is the absolute fix for the TOB squeal?
My cobra is at the dealer for the TOB and they are going to consult SVT engineers. What is the problem and the fix for the TOB? I dont want to do this more than once.
Does Ford have a TSB yet?
Thanks

Yes there is a TSB for a new TOB to hopefully fix this concern. We have had no complaints after the new TOB has been done.

Dave07997S

Established Member
The problem is with the quadrant assembly and the auto adjust feature of the clutch. It doesn't keep the TOB tight against the pressure plate and it bounces around in there gouging the retainer. The 93-95 Mustang Cobras used a tapered TOB and a steel retainer on the front of the T5. When they went with the T45 for the99-01 cars and the T56 for the 03/04 cars they went back probably to save weight with a aluminium retainer and the old style TOB. This is not just a 03 problem with the Cobras. It affects the whole Mustang lineup dating back to 1985 other than the 93-95 Mustang Cobras. It was one of the main reasons I didn't get a 03/04 Cobra, as the TOB was replaced 3 times within 15Kmiles when I had my 98 Cobra. I went with a Steeda firewall adjuster and aluminium quadrant and never had the problem again. Dave.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by Dave01M3
The problem is with the quadrant assembly and the auto adjust feature of the clutch. It doesn't keep the TOB tight against the pressure plate and it bounces around in there gouging the retainer. The 93-95 Mustang Cobras used a tapered TOB and a steel retainer on the front of the T5. When they went with the T45 for the99-01 cars and the T56 for the 03/04 cars they went back probably to save weight with a aluminium retainer and the old style TOB. This is not just a 03 problem with the Cobras. It affects the whole Mustang lineup dating back to 1985 other than the 93-95 Mustang Cobras. It was one of the main reasons I didn't get a 03/04 Cobra, as the TOB was replaced 3 times within 15Kmiles when I had my 98 Cobra. I went with a Steeda firewall adjuster and aluminium quadrant and never had the problem again. Dave.

Sorry, but that may be true on the older cobra's and mustangs but that is not the fix for this concern. Try doing a search on this TOB issue and you will see that this is something different.

Dave07997S

Established Member
I read all the TOB posts, the only way this is different is the fact that the Cobras (03+) with their T56 doesn't have a replaceable retainer. The cause of the gouging of the retainer is the same. They are still using the same POS that they used even back then. Dave.

03snakerush

Established Member
tsb #

Hey SVTADVISOR- Is there a way you could post the TSB on the T.O.B. issue? It would help when I take my 03 in next week, thanks!!:beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: "Source of the Problem with TOB

Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
Yes there is a TSB for a new TOB to hopefully fix this concern. We have had no complaints after the new TOB has been done.
What's the TSB number? I had my buddy run my VIN and there was no TSB for the TOB as of thursday.

SStupid

Established Member
No TSB

SVTADVISOR is my service rep and he knows his stuff. He said there is a new TOB part number to take care of the issue. My speculation is that the original factory TOB is made of a material that is harder than the retainer, hence the galling. My service rep said the new TOB is made of a different material that won't damage the retainer (like the composite SPEC?). My car goes in sometime this week, so we'll see. I'll let you know. I've been through 3 TOB replacements, so I should be a good litmus test.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Checked yesterday for the TOB issue on oasis. Cannot find either the SSm or TSB for the clutch squealing. But did find that now we can get some service parts for the t-56 that were not availible before. Maybe that's why the SSM is gone and now we have a different part # on the TOB. Something kinda strange goin on!

Vmax39

Established Member
I'm on my 4th clutch/pp/etc. One month ago my dealer replaced the TOB with the "new" one. No squeal (400 miles) but the vibrating clutch and pedal is back and the trans is making new louder grinding /whirring noises.

SVT advisor says replace original transmission with the new part number tranny "couldn't get parts for the old one if we wanted to".

Vibrating clutch pedal is reported to be "normal for this vehicle"

I don't know what all this means but I agree that "something kinda strange is going on" here.

Not Happy

eddy z

Established Member
can someone advise me on what TOB stands for?? And what "Squeak(s)" are referred to being heard and where?? I gather somewhere in the trans area? Reason, i ask, i have a "squeaking pop" sound in my rear axle area. I have had this since i owned the car. It only occurs when you take off in first gear, jerk the car in first gear, take off in Revervse gear, and if you apply the parking brake, and do min take offs in first or reverse. The "noise" shines though... I had my car in the Ford SVT shop yesterday, and they heard the "Noise". They tighted all bolts within the IRS and rear end. The squeak is still present. The sevrice mgr was great to work with, and suggested the next step is to go thoruh the entire rear end to locate this noise.. Now, others at the shop who both work and own 03's claim, this is noise specific to the 03's.. One of those ghost noises based upon the copnstruction of this car.. Does anyone have this same noise that i experience?

03DOHC

Established Member
TOB= Throw out bearing. When you push your clutch it pulls on a cable which is attached to a lever. This lever pushes on the TOB which pushes on the pressure plate fingers which releases the pressure on the clutch plate. If your TOB sqeaks it generally sounds like a chirping bird. If the sound goes away when you apply slight pressure to the clutch pedal it is probably your TOB squeaking.

The tink-tink noise is in the half shafts. Some people have had success making that noise go away by tightening the nut at the end. Some have had the half shafts replaced before the tink/click noise goes away.

eddy z

Established Member
03DOHC--thank you for the feedback.. Good news my TOB is ok, as i do not have nosie. The tink tink nosie is there.. yesterday the tech did in fact tightned the nut at each end of the half shafts.. the nosie became less apparent, but in fact remained present. If i do not get the half shafts replaced. Am I setting myself up for issues in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread