Spanked a 08 WRX STI

Trainman

Established Member
A friend at work bought a new WRX STI and thinks that it is so fast now that it has a stage1 tune. Dude hates mustangs and calls my Cobra a rustang. I told him I would run him from a roll or from a dig whatever, his choice. He wanted to do a 10mph roll. Needless to say I owned his ass, I got a little wheel hop in first like I expected, grabbed second and left him like he was sitting still. All I have is a full exhaust DR's and a tune 423/400, I should have offered him a few car lenghs.

Last edited:

JDrake

Established Member
nice kill! my best friends sister dated this guy w/ a sti, not sure what was done to it b/c it was so long ago but his license plate was "I8URV8"

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Lol. These cars along with the Evos can be deadly cars, with the right mods of course. The newer sti's (I think the 08's) are a lot slower than the older ones (same goes with the evo's). My buddy had an 04 sti with cai, catback exhaust and a downpipe. I was able to put car and a half on it, from a dig it was a differen story.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
The 08 WRX is faster then the 08 WRX STi. Aint that some shit.

Where did you see those numbers? They might be close, but I doubt the STi is actually slower.

WRX = 265hp/244tq @ 3174 lbs
STi = 305hp/290tq @ 3395 lbs

Pretty close overall.

"The STi will run 0-60 in 4.8-4.9 seconds ,while the WRX takes about a second longer. In day to day driving, however, that extra power isn't really very useful. Extracting it requires revving the engine in a manner likely to attract unwanted attention from ticket writers. Below about 4,000 rpm, the STi engine feels decidedly weak than its overt exterior suggests. Once the needles on the boost gauge and tach start to get active, so does the engine and the STi leaps forward."

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/06/in-the-autoblog-garage-2008-subaru-impreza-wrx-vs-sti/

Last edited:

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
In a side bar quoat in my car n driver I belive. I could be wrong, but I remember while I was takeing a shit, and read it, It stood out has hard to belive. I think they said the 1320 was a good tenth or so slower in the STi.

16kOrBust

Established Member
I like the fact that he went from a 10mph roll, completely eliminating his only advantage - the AWD from a dig (not that it would have mattered much once you caught any kind of traction). Hopefully it was all in good fun. What did he have to say after the race?

And do you have any track numbers on your car? I'm always curious to see how the exhaust/tuned but non-pullied Cobras do. Haven't seen many numbers. I'm guessing most would be a good race for me from a roll.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Should have sent him my way if he wanted a good run from a roll...haha.. That's why it pays to know what the hell your talking about before opening your mouth about someone elses car.

Nice kill!!!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I'm always curious to see how the exhaust/tuned but non-pullied Cobras do. Haven't seen many numbers. I'm guessing most would be a good race for me from a roll.

You should be able to pull on them since your car is lighter. Pulley doesnt really give it the power, its the chip that makes the power. Horsepower TV confirmed this when they tested it with an 03. Pulley only give's it like 10-15 whp. Exhaust and CAI Cobra's that I used to see where in the low to mid 12's (depending on the track too of course). Yeah but stupid of the STI owner wanting to do a rolling race instead of a dig (the only place where it's actually fast :lol1:)

BlueSnake01

Established Member
+1...the wrx would have been a closer race

The 08 STI still has the advantage, not by much though. I would still vote that the 04 STI would've been the best match of them all (hence the fastest WRX/STI in U.S.A) but it still wouldve been killed :lol1:

JDrake

Established Member
Where did you see those numbers? They might be close, but I doubt the STi is actually slower.

WRX = 265hp/244tq @ 3174 lbs
STi = 305hp/290tq @ 3395 lbs

Pretty close overall.

"The STi will run 0-60 in 4.8-4.9 seconds ,while the WRX takes about a second longer. In day to day driving, however, that extra power isn't really very useful. Extracting it requires revving the engine in a manner likely to attract unwanted attention from ticket writers. Below about 4,000 rpm, the STi engine feels decidedly weak than its overt exterior suggests. Once the needles on the boost gauge and tach start to get active, so does the engine and the STi leaps forward."

In the Autoblog Garage: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX vs. STI

In the Jan 09 issue of Car and Driver they said, "Subaru's improvements to the WRX have made its STI model nearly obsolete..... power is up 41 horses to 265, and theres an extra 18lbft torque. combine that with a clutch-abusing redline launch and the WRX will get to 60 mph in 4.7seconds, 1.1 seconds quicker than previously and three-tenths swifter than the quickest STI we tested." They did say however the STI is quicker around the bends but the WRX is better bang for your buck.

Trainman

Established Member
I like the fact that he went from a 10mph roll, completely eliminating his only advantage - the AWD from a dig (not that it would have mattered much once you caught any kind of traction). Hopefully it was all in good fun. What did he have to say after the race?

And do you have any track numbers on your car? I'm always curious to see how the exhaust/tuned but non-pullied Cobras do. Haven't seen many numbers. I'm guessing most would be a good race for me from a roll.

No track numbers yet I just finished the exhaust a few weeks ago(still cold in ohio) I do plan to hit the track up this spring when they open and i will post numbers, but the car will probably be pullied and have a cai and a retune by then. He laughed about it really, we are good friends. We are going to run from a dig next.

Users who are viewing this thread