Spark blowout?

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Also, Look at this video and see if the slack in the timing chain looks right to you. This video was after I moved the crank a little clockwise to try to draw up the slack.
(sorry for the cell phone quality video)
[ame=http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u126/perpetuallyscrewed/?action=view&current=0709091351.flv]0709091351.flv video by perpetuallyscrewed - Photobucket[/ame]

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
The springs that come with the livernois heads. I took the spring to be tested locally, and it cam back with 105# seat psi, 250#'s at .475 lift, but only .020 before coil bind. The local Machine shop thinks they are way to weak, but Livernois, Modular performance, and MMR all think they should work.

TRBO VNM

shane,

when you turn the crank that slack should be taken up. I thought it was strange on the first head swap I did on a 2 valve, but Dave(juiced46) was telling me that is normal. I just finished a timing chain rebuild on a mach1 last night and there was some slack as well. I can check tonight and see if it is as much slack as you have.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Hmmm I definitely typed something haha

What does Livernois rate the springs at?

I built a Mach1 and ran livernois springs in a set of stock heads and GT cams. on 26psi 720rwhp, no issues what so ever with the springs.

Did they test all the springs or just 1?

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Livernois rates them at
1.450 installed height 90#'s
at .450 lift 220#'s
coil bind at .840

They only tested 1 spring, but we did do a compression test on all cylinders and they were all within 1-2#'s of eachother. We also leaked a couple cyl's and they were both 100%.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I finally got the timing cover off. This is what it looked like when we first took it off.
Drivers side:
0723092008.jpg

Passenger side:
0723092007.jpg

Then we turned the crank over by hand and each side would tighten and loosen. So we then moved everything out of the way and cranked the motor over with the starter to see if they would pump up. At first the guides were moving all over the place, then as psi built I guess, they were still moving , but not as much. Oil also was shooting out of what looks like a weep hole on the side of the tensioners. Are they supposed to do that? Do they sound like they are acting right so far?

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Last night when we changed the plastic tensioners out with the cast ones we noticed they were on the wrong side. We had the one with the L on it, on the passenger side, and the R on the drivers side. I wasn't sure if it really mattered though, as the plastic ones physically look the same. The metal ones are different though, and we did put them on the correct sides! haha The one I took off of the drivers side had a blown gasket on the back, and you could easily compress the piston down by hand, the other ones gasket was intact, but you couldn't budge it with your hand. So I have a glimmer of hope that this is the problem.

TRBO VNM

thats good shane. sorry, I know you sent me a pic, but wasn't sure if it was you or someone else. having some slack is typical, but sounds like you found some issues to resolve.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
thats good shane. sorry, I know you sent me a pic, but wasn't sure if it was you or someone else. having some slack is typical, but sounds like you found some issues to resolve.

Yes, we are hoping this was making the timing jump around, and that was the problem we were seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread