Spark Plug/COP change with Whipple 2.3

RedfireRed03

Established Member
Just picked up an 01 Lightning with a 2.3 Whipple and would like to change the plugs and COPs. Are you Whipple guys able to change these without removing the blower? Access to the back driver side looks pretty tight under the plenum.
If I do have to remove it, I saw somewhere that it's 4 bolts to the midplate and slide it up and over the boost bypass valve in the back and a couple of vacuum lines. Is that really all there is to it?
Any recommendations on the best coil packs?

gr850

Established Member
Don't know about the 2.3 but with my 3.4 there isn't a chance in hell of changing them on driver side. I lifted the cab about 2ft then raised the blower. I recently did some mods to the fuel rail and relocated the IAC in hopes to being able to change them without lifting the cab. Maybe if you beat the shit out of the firewall you could raise it. Hindsight I'd bought a KB.

RedfireRed03

Established Member
Don't know about the 2.3 but with my 3.4 there isn't a chance in hell of changing them on driver side. I lifted the cab about 2ft then raised the blower. I recently did some mods to the fuel rail and relocated the IAC in hopes to being able to change them without lifting the cab. Maybe if you beat the shit out of the firewall you could raise it. Hindsight I'd bought a KB.

Jeeze! That makes the 4 hours on a LT1 Camaro seem like nothing! That's ridiculously poorly engineered.

The blower has to come off.

Thanks for the answer. Kinda figured it would. So is it just the 4 bolts holding it to the midplate, vacuum lines and belt and it comes off? That doesn't seem too tough, but still a PITA for some spark plugs!

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Jeeze! That makes the 4 hours on a LT1 Camaro seem like nothing! That's ridiculously poorly engineered.

Thanks for the answer. Kinda figured it would. So is it just the 4 bolts holding it to the midplate, vacuum lines and belt and it comes off? That doesn't seem too tough, but still a PITA for some spark plugs!

Not really KBs fault as much as Ford's. With the stock Eaton it takes about 4 hours. That's smooth sailing, not taking anything off but the plugs. You'd think it's not really meant to be routine maintenance.

Dusten

Established Member
Not really KBs fault as much as Ford's. With the stock Eaton it takes about 4 hours. That's smooth sailing, not taking anything off but the plugs. You'd think it's not really meant to be routine maintenance.

90 minutes on an eaton truck.
I pull the blower on mine to do them anyways, takes me 10 minutes to pull my kb.

OP, I have never pulled a whipple, so i don't know.

4a7191a

Established Member
Buddy of mine is a diesel mechanic by trade, but knows cars and trucks well. He did my plug change in less than an hour . It took me about 2 hours taking my time.
Op I think the 2.3 has to come off, a buddy of mine pulled his every time.

Dusten

Established Member
I can do 90 minutes. Probably lose a finger or two lol.

With the correct tools, its easy. Enough extensions and wobbly sockets.

I get bored and time myself.
9:52 to pull my kb the other day. Granted I have no EGR to deal with.

Freeagent517

Established Member
You can do it without taking the blower off. You need to buy swivel sockets. And a magnet. Magnet so you don't drop any coil pack screws

SvtRacing

Established Member
you can change them with the 2.3 still bolted on. You need to remove the CAI and have some swivells but it can be done. Ive seen my buddy do mine from start to finish not in a hurry in 45-50 min. for cops you stock OEM motorcraft and i bought mine off of ebay for $29.99. local ford dealer with my discount wanted $49.99

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
With my old KB 2.3 stock fuel rails, and no 2 step wiring. spark plug changes were under an hour. I have a 3.4 now, 1/2" mid plate spacer and egr deleted, takes about 2 hours taking my time, blower does not have top come off.

Users who are viewing this thread