Spark plug experiment

"olsson"

Established Member
So i am doing a little experiment over here. I dont like the flare seal on our plugs. Its pretty comon that these plugs lock and break when you try and remove them and im pretty sure they play a role in sparkplug blowouts.

Its not so comon over here with tr6 plugs ( tr6 is an american standard ) so they are expensive

TR6 IX which everyone is running is if you translate it in to a washer seal plug a BCPR7 EIX
21UB3co%2B12L._SS400_.jpg

I can pick these up were i work, even had them in stock..

So i have now rebuilt my heads to work with these plugs, washer style instead of flare style seal.

thoghts on this / Anders

Robert Francis

Established Member
I haven't heard of many "taper seat" style plugs "breaking" upon removal. I'm sure though that it happens on occasion, and I'm pretty sure the general cause when it does happen is "over tightening." I don't think many people understand that when installing taper seat plugs, especially the 10mm size, and "not" using a torque wrench or anti-seize on the plugs it's real easy to overtighten them.

"olsson"

Established Member
Someone must have someting more to say about this, i thoght i had come up with something big lol :shrug:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Interesting. I haven't seen too many plugs break, but surely it happens from time to time. So did you machine inside the top of the plug boss flat? FFS

"olsson"

Established Member
So did you machine inside the top of the plug boss flat? FFS

Yes sir, and then i used timeserts for washer style plugs.:thumbsup:

Interesting. I haven't seen too many plugs break, but surely it happens from time to time.

I have seen them break a couple of times but thats not the main reason i did it. Tr6 is an expesive plug over here since its "American" and those other plugs are cheap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread