spark plug hole is stripped.. what to do?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Get a timesert. I just had a plug blow of out the head on my Explorer and striped the threads, and the insert fixed the problem with head still on the car.

dormeas

Established Member
Get a timesert. I just had a plug blow of out the head on my Explorer and striped the threads, and the insert fixed the problem with head still on the car.

+1 I just had to do one on the Expedition 5.4L I had a shop do it locally cause the kit is very expensive. Been working great going on almost 2 months now.

Just so you know too, I asked the shop that did mine if they had ever had an insert blow out again. And he said never in all the years he's done them;-)

Good luck:beer:

Blownsob

Blown Member
Established Member
Yeah, sometimes you can use a spark plug chaser and be ok but make sure you get everything out of the hole with some sort of vacuum. I have seen this alot in Lightnings with the 4 thread heads and other early 5.4's.. Also you can sometimes pull threads on an aluminum head if you don't use anti-seize..

Juruense

Banned
Helicoil will leave a nub in the combustion chamber and cause detonation and is absolutely not recommended for mod motor.

Timesert is the only way to go, I believe the Timesert kit is $400 but I am not sure.

everythintek

Established Member
thanks guys, from what i know the timesert is expensive, but a good friends brother owns a shop locally, and he has the timesert kit. Charging me 75 bucks +tax.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread