Spark plug thread repair.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
PorscheG's post about his blown plug reminded me to post a follow up to my own problem --> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116051

Helicoil was an option, but it's not that permenant and has it's drawbacks so I hit the local Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen, etc.. and I found a $30 kit with different sized steel inserts, thread cutter and thread locker. Unfortunitly, buried in the poorly written instructions were these words- "NOT FOR USE ON TAPPERED SEAT PLUGS" - the kit was for washer-seat plugs only and nobody had a teppered seat kit.

Option two- http://www.timesert.com/sprksert.html

This was $160 for the professional-grade kit, loctite, cutting oil, and 2 inserts from a local wholesaler in Torrance. You need the deep-hole (4412E) kit, DO NOT use the "Big Sert" parts. I was a little nervious dropping $160 on a thread repair kit that I hadn't read anything about and probably won't use again in my lifetime, but if it saved me the cost of new head it's worth twice that IMHO.

The first 20 minutes I had a beer and contemplated the task while looking over the kit. If I screwed it up, it was big money fixing it- no room for mistakes. Step one was using a paper tube off a coat hanger to make sure the piston wasn't near the plug hole - good thing I checked, it was almost at TDC, so I bumped the key to get it down in the hole.

Step two- pack the thread cutter/rimmer with grease to catch the cuttings. Cutting a new hole is easy, you just need to be sure to go in straight, the tool threads right in doing the cutting/rimming along the way.

Step three- with the tap buried in the hole, the hollow seat cutter slips over the tap shaft and in a few turns, cuts a new, flat seat for the insert. Take the seat cutter off and clean out the aluminum chips.

Step four- with all the tools backed out of the hole, using the same paper tube and rag soaked with break cleaner, clean as much of the grease as you can out of the plug well and off the new threads. You should also check the cylinder for cutting debris with a bore scope, but at least use a flashlight and some vacuum attachment to suck out whatever may have fallen in there.

Step five- coat the insert driver with insert oil (probably just lite machine oil, but I got there special "driver oil" just to be on the safe side). Thread the insert into the driver, coat the outer threads with loctite red and use the driver to screw the insert into the newly cut plug hole. When the insert bottoms out, the insert driver will continue to screw itself into the insert. The bottom few threads inside the insert are then cold-formed, locking the little bastard into the head- this is more or less a permenant repair, although they say you can remove the insert with an easy-out.

The whole process is very easy, just go slow and be careful. I let the loctite set up for 15 minutes, put a fresh plug and new coil pack in and it fired right up- the repair was perfect and has been for the last 2000 or so miles. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
That's a great write-up. I'm storing that one off in my notes...but I hope I never need it! :thumbsup:

-Greg

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Hey SoCAlCobra! I didn't notice what the reason for your repair was...did you blow a plug and coil from the head? Ford has a problem with that on all their mod motors...2 and 4 valve. I've seen a few here and my wife's Expedition with a 5.4 did the same thing. Scared the crap out of her! But here's the deal...her Expedition at the time was a '98 with 50,000 miles on it. Ford warrantied it for me.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why can't Ford fix this problem once and for all? Is it a matter of more threads? I just don't understand it.

BLK_03

Established Member
Sweet write-up.

On a side note, I thought I would pass on some info with all the talk about people popping plugs...

I had the driver's side head replaced for the tick. I went to check my plugs the other day and the passenger plugs came out real quick (not many turns). However the driver's side plugs (with the new head) took more turns to remove/replace.

So, the newer heads that were supposed to remedy the tick, have more threads in them for plugs.....FYI......

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
There's a Ford tech on here that said in another thread that the problem is with the plugs coming loose. He says check them at every oil change. With the difference between metal expansion rates, makes perfect sense to me. It is good info....

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Personally I wouldnt dream of rethreading a head on the car.

As for the new heads, I just bought 2 new heads, Ive been meaning to take a thread count but just havnt gotten around to it yet. I will see if I can get that here shortly and post up details.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Personally I wouldnt dream of rethreading a head on the car.

As for the new heads, I just bought 2 new heads, Ive been meaning to take a thread count but just havnt gotten around to it yet. I will see if I can get that here shortly and post up details.

Any chance you could post a pic? Like to see if it's possible to rethread them to full depth.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if u do this with the head on, u better be damn certain u get all the shavings out.

scoring the cylinder wall is not a good scene.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Any chance you could post a pic? Like to see if it's possible to rethread them to full depth.
My buddy had all the tools so he put my new cams, springs and retainers in. I asked him to get a boat load of pics but havent seen them yet and heads are now on the shortblock. Not sure if he took any plug hole specific pics but I will see what I can dig up.

Users who are viewing this thread