Speeding: absolutes vs percentage of posted limit

99blkzx2

Established Member
Just wanted to see if anyone ever wondered why going 10 over in residential (25mph) gets the same punishment as going 10 over on the highway (60-70mph)?

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to calculate speeding as percent of excess instead of tiered "rates"? In the above example, 35 in 25 is 40% over the limit, but 80 in 70 or 70 in 60, is 14% and 16%, respectively.

You could argue that people get let go with a warning, or cops don't even bother stopping people at 10 over on the highway, but the old-fashioned tiered speeding tickets still remain. I'm in the state of OK, by the way.

Thanks for any input. Would really like to hear LEOs thoughts, in particular.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Law enforcement agencies do not set the fine schedules for any violations of law. Fine schedules (amounts) are set by statutory code.

musclefan21

Established Member
Law enforcement agencies do not set the fine schedules for any violations of law. Fine schedules (amounts) are set by statutory code.

What he said. And you can't argue that because some officers do pull over and ticket those who go 10 over. I got one. Some dont. All about officers discretion. Technically you csn be ticketed for anything over the posted speed limit regardless of the location.

99blkzx2

Established Member

I am aware of that. What is your stance on the question, though? Do you agree with the current situation or not?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
What he said. And you can't argue that because some officers do pull over and ticket those who go 10 over. I got one. Some dont. All about officers discretion. Technically you csn be ticketed for anything over the posted speed limit regardless of the location.

I thought theirs a 1-3mph buffer zone to allow for speedometer or radar inaccuracies? I would love to meet the cop who would pull someone over for doing 1mph over the posted limit.

musclefan21

Established Member
I thought theirs a 1-3mph buffer zone to allow for speedometer or radar inaccuracies? I would love to meet the cop who would pull someone over for doing 1mph over the posted limit.

Negative. Speed detecting equipments are calibrated / tuned prior to use or regulary or they should be to read accurate speeds.

Nobody is gonna write you 1-3mph over. HOWEVER, if you pass a cop who is doing the speed limit, lets say, 65mph and you are going 67-68 and pass him, expect to be stopped and ticketed. I have seen this happen 2 times off duty and have done it on duty.

My personal limit on speeding is anything 14mph and over. I dont even stop for anything less than that. Some other cops are much more strict...

Zemedici

Established Member
I've got a buddy that goy yanked the other day for 1mph over

I'm sure it's up to officer discretion, and I don't doubt he was drawing attention to himself and therefore receives the ticket accordingly

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I've got a buddy that goy yanked the other day for 1mph over

I'm sure it's up to officer discretion, and I don't doubt he was drawing attention to himself and therefore receives the ticket accordingly

It seems to me that in most cases when someone gets stopped for a couple MPH over, the officer is just using that as an excuse to make contact. AKA: He's looking for something else. The fact that he got a ticket most likely means he (your friend) had a crap attitude.

Or the officer was a tool, it's been known to happen too!

Zemedici

Established Member
It seems to me that in most cases when someone gets stopped for a couple MPH over, the officer is just using that as an excuse to make contact. AKA: He's looking for something else. The fact that he got a ticket most likely means he (your friend) had a crap attitude.

I'm willing to bet it was the first one.

I've been clipped at speeds I REALLY shouldn't have been doing but I didn't get a ticket. The LEOs are people too, and they're simply doing their job, I think sometimes people fail to realize that.

musclefan21

Established Member

^^ this

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Negative. Speed detecting equipments are calibrated / tuned prior to use or regulary or they should be to read accurate speeds.

Nobody is gonna write you 1-3mph over. HOWEVER, if you pass a cop who is doing the speed limit, lets say, 65mph and you are going 67-68 and pass him, expect to be stopped and ticketed. I have seen this happen 2 times off duty and have done it on duty.

My personal limit on speeding is anything 14mph and over. I dont even stop for anything less than that. Some other cops are much more strict...

I know cops don't like getting passed regardless so I won't pass them even if they are doing 5 under.

14 and over? thats a pretty big stretch over the limit. I try to keep to the "9 and under you're fine, 10 or over you're mine" rule. Except in residential zones where I do no more than 5 over.

Rings

Established Member
I know cops don't like getting passed regardless so I won't pass them even if they are doing 5 under.

14 and over? thats a pretty big stretch over the limit. I try to keep to the "9 and under you're fine, 10 or over you're mine" rule. Except in residential zones where I do no more than 5 over.

PLEASE stop the 5 over in a residential zone. When I was younger my uncle got on to me for that very same thing...2 days later leaving his house, I almost hit a kid! I wasn't even doing 20 yet, I was actually thinking about what he said and WHAM...kid almost under my truck!

Think like this; residential is KNOWN to have children, city streets are less likely. Now, can you live with yourself IF you hit a child and kill it?? Trust me on this, you hit my kid or my dog bc your being a jackass, you WONT need a lawyer!

Also, under 15 I wont ticket you...I drive 5-10 over everywhere BUT neighborhoods. I will however use your speed as PC to pull you over.
I think the way its set up is best as adding more numbers/scales to remember could hinder "some" in the pricing/writing area, thus adding more time to your wait. We have to be reasonable with said time as well.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

Something to my benefit it my home state.

RESTRICTIONS ON SPEED
IN CERTAIN ZONES
w/SPEED TIMING DEVICES

55 mph zone - No person shall be convicted of a
speed less than 6 mph over the posted 55 mph zone.

Zones other than 55 mph - No person shall be
convicted of a speed less than 10 mph over the posted
speed limit.

OP, to answer your question, it is just as flawed a method. In most instances I would not find 35 in 25 to be as dangerous as 91 in a 65. Or even 50 in a 25 as dangerous as 130 in a 65.

Last edited:

99blkzx2

Established Member
OP, to answer your question, it is just as flawed a method. In most instances I would not find 35 in 25 to be as dangerous as 91 in a 65. Or even 50 in a 25 as dangerous as 130 in a 65.

I think 50 in a 25 with kids running around is much worse than 120 on a highway. I guess rush hour conditions could be equivalent to kids running around.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
PLEASE stop the 5 over in a residential zone. When I was younger my uncle got on to me for that very same thing...2 days later leaving his house, I almost hit a kid! I wasn't even doing 20 yet, I was actually thinking about what he said and WHAM...kid almost under my truck!

Think like this; residential is KNOWN to have children, city streets are less likely. Now, can you live with yourself IF you hit a child and kill it?? Trust me on this, you hit my kid or my dog bc your being a jackass, you WONT need a lawyer!

Also, under 15 I wont ticket you...I drive 5-10 over everywhere BUT neighborhoods. I will however use your speed as PC to pull you over.
I think the way its set up is best as adding more numbers/scales to remember could hinder "some" in the pricing/writing area, thus adding more time to your wait. We have to be reasonable with said time as well.

I don't think doing 5 over, especially in my town where the main st is a 30mph limit versus the regular 25mph limit warrants "being a jackass". Doing 40 in a 25 which I witness all the damn time in this town is absolutely warranting of "being a jackass".

Top gear top tip, keep an eye on your kids and dont let them play in the street. It might be different in the OKC but in NJ, beating the crap out of, or killing someone because they hit the child you weren't watching while driving 5mph over isn't going to go over well for you in court.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I think 50 in a 25 with kids running around is much worse than 120 on a highway. I guess rush hour conditions could be equivalent to kids running around.

In "most instances" there wouldn't be any kids running around.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member

+1
Some people just love talking themselves into a ticket sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread