Spontaneous oil leak?

T800

Established Member
Hey gang,

Was working out some electrical issues on the nitrous and car sat for 2-3 days. Got it all squared away and fired it up, back out of the driveway and see a fresh puddle of dammit on the ground. Walk over hoping it's not coolant...it's not, was oil. Was literally still spreading out from a circle about the size of a soda can.

I have had ZERO leaks up to now. It looked like it just puked a big glob of oil on start up. Not at home, so no jack...but seems to be from the filter/cooler area. Changed the oil a few weeks ago and no problem till now.

Anybody had something similar happen?

T800

Established Member
You're right.

Will get it in the air first thing in the morning and report.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you remove the oil filter, check the bolt that holds the filter mount onto the block. They have been known to loosen up and let oil leak.

djtyau

Established Member
If tightening the bolt doesn't work then chances are it is the oil filter housing gasket. Mine had nothing left on it so it was seeping slowly and dripping.

T800

Established Member
Might just be an loose oil filter... Since you said you had recently changed the oil.

Checked it and filter is tight. I had entertained this idea when it first happened, but knew better as I am pretty anal when it comes to oil in my vehicles.

If you remove the oil filter, check the bolt that holds the filter mount onto the block. They have been known to loosen up and let oil leak.

Hmmmm...good info. Driver side is covered in oil(underneath) so hosed it down with engine degreaser and letting it soak before I clean it all off. Will fire it up here in a bit and see if I can see the exact spot of the leak.

If tightening the bolt doesn't work then chances are it is the oil filter housing gasket. Mine had nothing left on it so it was seeping slowly and dripping.

Is a brand new filter, well 3 weeks old I guess. So chances of the filter gasket being history would be remote. Unless I am misunderstanding what you're saying.

Thanks for the suggestions, will update...fricken mess under there now. :cuss:

T800

Established Member
If I can confirm that it is coming from the weep hole in the cooler, I assume then its the O-ring inside that is bad(versus the coolant O-ring, since I am leaking oil).

From what I have read here, this sounds like a PITA to remove/replace.

Wanted to add that I found this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/772115-how-repair-leaking-oil-cooler.html

Might not have started this thread if I had seen it earlier. My bad.

CONFIRMED. Leaking from the weep hole...O-ring time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread