Sport Bike Riders! Long Distance Trips? ~1800 Miles

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Man, you guys are really making me think twice about this. I may just find someother way of getting it there, I want to enjoy it and not regret it forever. I won't be doing this until August if at all, so i have some time to think about it. Maybe i'll just fly there and keep my bike here. I was going to get some sort of a tank bag and store eveything in there.

The furthest i've been is about 300 miles in one day, it was just around the city and wasn't too bad, but I can see how a distance trip like that can get to someone after a bit.

My buddy may meet me half way, we'll see if I do it.

Josh

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
+1...and I recently did 1800 miles round trip....you will hate your life once you get to your destination and are walking around like a pregnant woman about to give birth....have fun trying to sleep at night too when you cant get comfortable because everything aches....oh and practice yelling...because after hours of wind, you cant hear jack

just sell it....bikes will be cheaper up north anyhow

ahahahahahah funny bro!

To the OP; what are you thinking? You cant be serious? I can hardly drive 20 miles without hurting, and thats on an SV1000s. Your seat position and padding are extremely hard and uncomfortable, you better just sale it.

Mustanger

Established Member
Don't listen to the sissies just do it! Sure there will times you get a bit worn out or sore but that sounds like a great adventure! A great opportunity to do something unique & a bit difficult! Go ahead & test yourself.

I once rode to Ensenada Mexico on a 250 Yamaha Big Bear 2 stroker...LOL, carrying double & saddlebags! 1500 miles plus all the side trips it was great, nowadays people say you can't do it on a little bike but it was fine. I rode all over Calif on a 350 Yamaha after that trip.

IM SHAKN

Established Member
Don't do it. Two hours or more on the bike and I've got to stop for a long stretch, can't imagine doing it for 1700 miles. :bash:

blueovalfan

Established Member
DO IT! I wanna plane a long ride with my buddies sometime this summer. Take your time and enjoy it, yeah it will suck at times but given your circumstances its your only option. Dont think about selling your bike because as soon as you get to Chicago your going to wish you hadnt sold it.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
ahahahahahah funny bro!

To the OP; what are you thinking? You cant be serious? I can hardly drive 20 miles without hurting, and thats on an SV1000s. Your seat position and padding are extremely hard and uncomfortable, you better just sell it.

But i'm a lot younger than you :poke: :lol1:

Did you miss a zero on that estimate LOL :shrug:

Don't listen to the sissies just do it! Sure there will times you get a bit worn out or sore but that sounds like a great adventure! A great opportunity to do something unique & a bit difficult! Go ahead & test yourself.

I once rode to Ensenada Mexico on a 250 Yamaha Big Bear 2 stroker...LOL, carrying double & saddlebags! 1500 miles plus all the side trips it was great, nowadays people say you can't do it on a little bike but it was fine. I rode all over Calif on a 350 Yamaha after that trip.

I'm still thinking about it, my buddy thinks it's a bad idea too lol

:shrug::??:

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
But i'm a lot younger than you :poke: :lol1:

Did you miss a zero on that estimate LOL :shrug:

::??:

Well, I am 27, but my height and weight (6'6, 270lb ish) probably play a small role in the long 20 mile trips lol. The longest I have gone one way is 45 miles :whine:. I went with my buddy who has a 636 and it made the ride more enjoyable.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Well, I am 27, but my height and weight (6'6, 270lb ish) probably play a small role in the long 20 mile trips lol. The longest I have gone one way is 45 miles :whine:. I went with my buddy who has a 636 and it made the ride more enjoyable.

Man you need to get into shape, start running or something. I can easily ride a hundred+ miles or so for fun and feel fine once I get done.

I'm about to start hitting up the gym :rockon:

I hate riding alone, it gets boring quick

Last edited:

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
do it just so you can say youve done it, I can tell you wanna, just go for it ****it you wont die

cobracory

Established Member
I don't ride a bike, never been on one before, but I love to drive, and love to go on long road trips.

If you have the money for the gas and accomodations along the way and the time to do it, and if you think you'll probably not get another chance to do a long trip like this, then do it.

Just take your time, even if that means stopping to stretch your legs and take a picture of your bike beside some road sign every couple of hours. :)

I vote, do it!

Just don't plan on doing much for the few days after you arrive at the destination, I'm sure your body will hate you. :)

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
I have done a similar ride, bring a camel-pak with water, trust me, especially with it being warm out, you will be begging for it. Also, take time to stretch out every few hours or so, it pays off so you are not as soar the next day.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
It could be a great time or a miserable ordeal depending on you're interest in riding. Last year at Sturgis, we trailored the bikes the first 1500 miles and road the last 500, it was alright (on my '05 636). While out there, I rode to Billings, Montana and down to Casper Wyoming about a 800 mile ride, and it was amazing, nice roads, nice weather and new sites.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
I can't believe all the people in here who can't log a decent amount of miles on their bikes in one sitting. I've never ventured out on a trip like this, but I ride ~120 miles south of where I live to ride with buddies, get there, ride all night, and ride ~120 miles back home. I definitely don't feel like I just got out of the spa, but it's not that bad in my opinion. After a while the riding position gets discomforting, but for me it never gets any worse after that point. If you're a young guy you'll recover quickly from the soreness. Also remember if it's mostly highway miles, wind resistance will be helping to hold your weight up off the handlebars. Is this just a vacation-type trip or are you moving to the Chicago area?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I can't believe all the people in here who can't log a decent amount of miles on their bikes in one sitting. I've never ventured out on a trip like this, but I ride ~120 miles south of where I live to ride with buddies, get there, ride all night, and ride ~120 miles back home. I definitely don't feel like I just got out of the spa, but it's not that bad in my opinion. After a while the riding position gets discomforting, but for me it never gets any worse after that point. If you're a young guy you'll recover quickly from the soreness. Also remember if it's mostly highway miles, wind resistance will be helping to hold your weight up off the handlebars. Is this just a vacation-type trip or are you moving to the Chicago area?

Vacation for now but I may be moving back in the spring. I have two other cars i'd have to bring as well as my bike, so I figured I can ride my bike and ship my cobra then sell my other car, ship, or drive it depending on what I want to do. I've always wanted to go on a trip like this, well not quite this long, but a nice somewhat long distance ride I just never planned it out.

rust0r

Established Member
Why not ship the bike and drive the cobra ? or Trailer the bike on the other car, and sell the car once you get there and have the cobra shipped ? What do you wear in terms of gear ?

If its not till august, my major suggestion is that you get out there and go on some LONG rides to see how you deal with it. Just go and ride like 4 hours one way, and then come home and see if you're up for doing that 3 or 4 times, better than getting half way and realizing you physically can't handle being on the bike anymore

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I will take the trip in a jacket, gloves and most likely a pair of jeans and of course my helmet.

The Cobra won't be going to Indiana it'll stay with me down here in AZ. If I had to take my Cobra there i'd have it shipped

insane99svt

Established Member
I have rode close to 200 miles in a day on a sportbike but it was probally 10 of us and we must have stopped every 20min to smoke so it wasnt bad but the last part of the day I rode 56 miles in about 40 min to get home parked the bike and drove a car the next 2 days if you attempt this I predict where ever you make it in the first 300 miles you will be looking for a 4 sale sign 600 miles is not to much of a stretch to say dangerous you will get tired and fatigued and on a trip like that is probally mostly highway thats a bad place to be tired on a bike!

If you do this be safe maybe get a back brace and a gel cusion for the seat.

Users who are viewing this thread