Sport Bike Riders! Long Distance Trips? ~1800 Miles

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
dont be a pussy! Do It!

you only live once! when you are old and decrepid, you can look back and go "yeah, thats right, this mother****er right here, rode 1800 miles on a little dinky sportbike. put that in your pipe and smoke it"

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I say go for it, but you better have some rain gear with you. Nothing worse than getting caught in a storm and getting soaked.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I say go for it, but you better have some rain gear with you. Nothing worse than getting caught in a storm and getting soaked.

If it starts raining i'll get off and stop somewhere until it passes, I hate riding in the rain and especially on the highway.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
whats the furthest you've riden before? i did a 3 hour ride on my bike and was hurting like no other, i dont understand why you cant take more than 3/4 days? why not take a week off and enjoy the ride? whats the hurry?

myburm

Whatever...
Established Member
We rode 4 hours one way to Deals Gap, rode the "Dragon", skirted around Falls Creek Falls and the rode 4 hours home on a CBR1100XX sport touring bike and we were both sore for a couple of days...Hot baths at the end of each day would probably hellp with soreness.

A friend of ours does the Iron Butt fairly often. He did Clearwater Fl to Deals Gap and back in 48 hours. He loves it. Here's a site that might help you make an informed decision... http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
You don't have to do the Iron-Butt, but they have tips on here for long distance rides.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
do it man. just so you know what its like. maybe it wont be so bad and youll enjoy it. maybe it will suck, but either way, just go for it.
take pics of the tour too. will be cool to look back at later.

Last edited:

blu88notch

Established Member
Do it.
A couple days after you're there you'll be fine, and when you look in the garage and see the bike, you'll be glad.
A ride like that is a badge of honor.

tistan

Established Member
It is funny to see all the people who say do it don't be a pussy. I bet none of them have ridden a long distance on a sportbike. It is nothing like doing it on a cruiser. The joy of riding the bike will get old after the first 400 miles. with 1700 miles you have to think about tires. Depending how hard you ride that is going to use up a good part of your tread. You need to have new tires before you leave. It doesn't take much to damage a supersport tire. You need some kind of game plan in case of a flat tire. I would also bring chain wax to lube every so often. If you had a friend riding with you, it might not be too bad to attempt a long trip like this. There is a lot that can happen when your on the road

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I plan on bringing some chain lube. I didn't even think about problems with the tires on the trip (nails, etc) any solution to get me to a gas station, fix a flat? Or something like that, that I could use to get me to a place to have it replaced.

I found some tank bags available online I will order if I do this, otherwise i'll just have some basic maintenance done, pack what I need, and be off. The bike only has 5K on it so i'm sure it'll have no problem on the trip.

Thanks for the input

Josh

Rochard

Established Member
Until recently I had a Honda CBR1100. The longest trip I made was from Phoenix straight down to San Diego, and into Mexico. I've also driven from Phoenix to LA and Phoenix to Vegas a number of times. But never more than a day's worth of driving.

Bring an Ipod, pack light, and be sure to check the weather conditions before and during the trip.

I'd love to take a long ride like that... I've considered driving cross country from where I live now in Northern California up to Seattle and Montana, and then to the east coast, down to Florida, and back to Cali. Sounds like a blast.

Jroc

Established Member
I only read a few post, but here what you do. Ship the bike. Its not that much. I don't own a sport bike, but I do own a 05 YZ250. Then drive the Cobra to Chi-town, or rent a car. :idea:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Ha the Cobra will never be driven that far. I'll have the Cobra shipped, I really don't have to do this and I know that. I just think i'll give it a shot, I'm usually one to come up with crazy stuff like this and follow through with it, especially if people tell me I won't be able to lol I know not so good.

Does anyone know about a throttle lock? How are they? Anyone have any input on those $20 tank bags on ebay? Worth it??

Thanks

Josh

rust0r

Established Member
*Update, I just did about 300 miles over 8 hours on my gsxr 600 (stopped for food and stretched for maybe an hour out of that, i know people do more than that, but its the longest I've been on it thus far), so possibly @ 80 MPH * 7 hours, you could accomplish 560 miles on the freeway

BUT, by the 7 hour mark I hated life and just wanted to get home, my upper body was completely fine, no pain or tightness at all, my hips and knees on the other hand were very sore, that sort of "uncomfortable from being in the same awkward position" type of pain, not to mention I was pretty exhausted, today I woke up and my knees ached pretty bad, I definitely wouldn't be in the mood for getting on my bike for a considerable distance or length of time today. I might go out later tonight for an hour or so, but thats all I can foresee doing

I would start doing some distance / long riding to get you prepared for the ride in august, you wouldn't even think about running a marathon without training, same thing applies here

CHICKS75

Crippled
Established Member
First of all I'm sure you know that there are some spots on I-40 that you can flat out get it.
Second why r you so against driving the Cobra? Is it a trailer queen? Is it too modded out to risk & the cost of gas would kill u? Not buying that excuse. No car is worth short drives or being trailered eveywhere. What fun is that????

(I agree with previous poster)
If anything when you do it (can already tell by the typing that u already made up your mind) u can get so far, being mechanical issues or just tired, rent a truck and strap the bike in & finish your trip.

There is just about 140+ miles between gallup & ablq with not shit in between.

DO IT MAN SHIT WOULD B A BLAST!!!!!
U could hook up with some members and mooch off a meal or two around dinner time, maybe even say a lil hello to their Misses to recharge the batteries???

Last edited:

blinelaxd27

Established Member
maybe rent a pickup truck and throw the bike in the bed. then return the pickup wherever you are traveling to. rent it at a hertz or something where they allow you to return it at a different location.

Users who are viewing this thread