Spotted!!! Gt500 Testing At Firebird Raceway!!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
425x319.aspx

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
man dave i have to give you my phone # for the next secret auto find. i am always watching the racing action over at firebird. i cant believe i missed this. :bash: :beer: :bash:

i saw chevy showing off thier new c6 z to thier salesmen. last year i even saw the new 997 tt being run up and down maricopa rd. that was sweet. :pepper:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Great pics, and thanks for letting us check all of this out. :beer:

-Jeff

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
no sweat! It was really cool! And just lucky timing! Sorry I can't respond more tonight... the Blue car 'may' have had Hoosiers on during this early testing (the big lean)... They did have one set of Hoosiers on a tire rack (not on the car) when I went over there... but it was later in the day... and they could have changed tires... I don't know if my photo's will give enough quality to show... but I will look again tomorrow... also... if I ever get time to watch the video... it will be obvious if all the cars make 'squeeling tire noise'... and the blue one doesn't! ;)

Anyways... hope these help everyone! I do believe the Ford Engineers mentioned to my Team Owner that the GT500 was posting quicker lap times than the C6... which would be quite a feat in my opinion!

Peace!
Dave

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah, those tires are sticking out about 2 inches past the fender on the yellow car. Not pretty, and not street legal, so don't look for that in the production model without some type of fender extension similar to what was done to the C6 ZO6. Also, for those that are planning on 315's with the GT500, that is what it will look like. The only way to get them to fit is to use about a 3/4 inch spacer. But Even with that they will be sticking way out, and it will look silly.

R1Lello

Established Member
03venom said:
Look at the rear tires on the yellow GT500… they look deceptively like 315’s… not 285’s... KR??

You can tell a 30mm (just over 1 inch) difference from that photo?? You have great eyesight

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I can tell. They are definitely wider than stock. Cause they don't fit right.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I believe I did verify tire sizes on all GT500's were the 255 Fronts 285 rears...

And brakes were Brembo 4 piston front.. stock rears...

they were not sandbaggin that C6... I didn't post this pic originally (wife really losing her patience!) but check this 'slide' in the C6... they were running it HARD! I was very impressed... I think they really were trying to set a benchmark to go after!

http://sccaforums.com/photos/dave_schotz/category1000/picture181309.aspx

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
no sweat! It was really cool! And just lucky timing! Sorry I can't respond more tonight... the Blue car 'may' have had Hoosiers on during this early testing (the big lean)... They did have one set of Hoosiers on a tire rack (not on the car) when I went over there... but it was later in the day... and they could have changed tires... I don't know if my photo's will give enough quality to show... but I will look again tomorrow... also... if I ever get time to watch the video... it will be obvious if all the cars make 'squeeling tire noise'... and the blue one doesn't! ;)

Anyways... hope these help everyone! I do believe the Ford Engineers mentioned to my Team Owner that the GT500 was posting quicker lap times than the C6... which would be quite a feat in my opinion!

Peace!
Dave

that would be sweet if the mustang was outrunning the vette with the same type tires. thanks for the photos and latest info on fords testing. talk to you later.

Formula51

Established Member
Dave Schotz:

I am very curious about the track layout for this testing. Were there long straights, high-speed sweepers, lots of tight technical sections, etc?

It just seems unlikely that the 3900lb GT500 would post better lap times than the 3200lb C6 Z51. 600-700lbs is a LOT of weight for the GT500 to overcome around the track, regardless of how much more power it has. I am not saying it can't be done, but it would be impressive to say the very least!

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Dave Schotz:

I am very curious about the track layout for this testing. Were there long straights, high-speed sweepers, lots of tight technical sections, etc?

It just seems unlikely that the 3900lb GT500 would post better lap times than the 3200lb C6 Z51. 600-700lbs is a LOT of weight for the GT500 to overcome around the track, regardless of how much more power it has. I am not saying it can't be done, but it would be impressive to say the very least!
I thought (and too lazy to look it up) that the C6 Vettes were more like 3450lb. The Z06 with all it's super light weight materials and lack of sound deadening, etc. is more like 3200.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It wasn't a lap comparison, so we won't know until we can glean something from the video(hurry). I emailed one of my friends who I was sure would be there (which he was) and there were no stopwatches all day.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Morning guys... a few questions to answer!

Chuckstang: no video as of yet... sorry... I think back on Page 1... I wrote how much stuff I have going on this next week... (today I will be at a design center all day picking out flooring, lamps, and everything else that goes inside a new house). I also leave Thursday for Sacramento for another DBL Nat'l... (and Sunday is my wifes B-Day so Wed I have to take her out... so even next week will be tough... but I WILL TRY!) :)

Formula 51: First off... I want to say I AGREE!!! I would think it will be very difficult to overcome such a weight dis-advantage... and at least for now... I can only say that I know they were trying to compare the two... and the goal was to upset the C6... I won't know for sure if they did until full review of the video... and even then... based on what times I got the footage I won't be able to come to a 'PERFECT' conclusion... I can tell from the little bit I have watched... I will be able to post a 'BEST LAP TIME' for the Ford GT... and for the C6... Unfortunately... the 'quick viewing' I've done seems to have the Yellow GT500 'cruising' around... and the video I have of the Blue GT500 'racing' was when they had the chicane in place... so I won't be completely positive... but I will at least be able to do something like a 2 or 3 corner split... and see how that turns out.

Formula 51: Track Layout... as for this... here is the link to the track they were testing on: http://www.firebirdraceway.com/06web/06westtrack.html I don't know if they were using the oval or not... I could only see 'roughly' turns 1 through 5. I am thinking I can run splits on all cars from Turn 1 to the exit of Turn 4 at a minimum.

Hope this helps guys... and sorry right now is such a busy time for me! I posted this to at least get some of the info I saw out to fellow enthusiasts!

PS... As for the tires on the Yellow car... I believe that is actually just the rear end 'slop' to be honest... it is typical to see a Live Axle move inward... and the body of the car outward in a corner... If you look at the other two photos... I think the tires look consistent on the other side of the car.

PPS... I did ask about expected delivery... and mentioned the 'rumors' of October... and one of the gentleman said he thinks they are doing better than that. (meaning September as a latest... and as shocked as he was... it could even be August!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread